Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - South Boston, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

corywright

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Jul 27, 2016
Richmond, VA
In April Tesla added South Boston, VA as a "coming soon" location for a Supercharger, with a target opening in Q4.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 2.21.53 PM.png

Yesterday Leading-Edge Services submitted a request for utility markings at the Sheetz at 1007 Philpott Rd, South Boston, VA 24592.

I live in south boston va :) haha. However I don’t think its gonna be at sheetz due to where its marked on the Tesla map as well as its a new Microsoft center that advertised EV charging coming and the point on the Tesla Map is right on Microsofts building location

However I don’t think its gonna be at sheetz due to where its marked on the Tesla map as well as its a new Microsoft center that advertised EV charging coming and the point on the Tesla Map is right on Microsofts building location
No, it will be at the Sheetz. Tesla has an established partnership with Sheetz for hosting superchargers (with more than 25 locations) and Leading-Edge Services is a contracting company that Tesla has hired to build dozens of superchargers. The combination documented in the opening post make it a pretty sure thing.

As for the map, it's a common mistake that people who don't follow the supercharger network expansion closely make, but Tesla's map doesn't indicate the spot where future superchargers will go. It only tells you the town/city or general area. The grey pin gets placed wherever Google Maps would put the pin for a given jurisdiction. In this case, if you have Google give you directions from somewhere to "South Boston, VA", Tesla's pin is wherever Google marks the destination.

No, it will be at the Sheetz. Tesla has an established partnership with Sheetz for hosting superchargers (with more than 25 locations) and Leading-Edge Services is a contracting company that Tesla has hired to build dozens of superchargers. The combination documented in the opening post make it a pretty sure thing.

As for the map, it's a common mistake that people who don't follow the supercharger network expansion closely make, but Tesla's map doesn't indicate the spot where future superchargers will go. It only tells you the town/city or general area. The grey pin gets placed wherever Google Maps would put the pin for a given jurisdiction. In this case, if you have Google give you directions from somewhere to "South Boston, VA", Tesla's pin is wherever Google marks
Oh I can’t wait ti see how this turns out the parking lot is sooo small

Oh I can’t wait ti see how this turns out the parking lot is sooo small
I'm curious too. I've driven past this Sheetz dozens of times over the last couple of years, and you are right, there is very limited parking.

I was a bit surprised that Tesla and Sheetz didn't work together to put a Supercharger at the Danville location a year or two ago when they completely renovated it. To me that would have made more sense than South Boston.

According to this article from the end of May, it was planned for construction to have started on the stations in the first week of June. This corresponds perfectly with the pre-digging utility location request posted in the opening of this thread. So if @kingjones94 or anyone else is in the area and can swing by, please check for any signs of construction happening at the sheetz at the US -58 & -501 intersection.

According to this article from the end of May, it was planned for construction to have started on the stations in the first week of June. This corresponds perfectly with the pre-digging utility location request posted in the opening of this thread. So if @kingjones94 or anyone else is in the area and can swing by, please check for any signs of construction happening at the sheetz at the US -58 & -501 intersection.
It had started construction already, ill swing by and grab some photos today

South Boston is very small that could be why I’m shocked we’re even getting one lol.
It has nothing to do with the size of the area (remember, locals will charge at home, not at Superchargers)--it's all about enabling travel corridors for travelers. South Boston is at the confluence of US-501, US-58 and US-360, which makes it a VERY attractive site to fill in gaps along those US routes (now that interstates in the area are starting to get very good coverage). And as I've said before, Sheetz wants to make sure they are all in on the EV revolution.