Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, IL - W Jefferson St

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by the location, no signs of marking or construction. The cashier has heard about new chargers coming to the area, but though they were going in at Portillo's. He had no idea about the permit for installiation at the gas station. Gonna be a tight fit for backing in, spots are fairly close to the building. The area where the 12 chargers are supposed to be installed is currently only 11 spots (one on the right side of the silver pickup truck.) Looks like they are going to reconstruct exisiting curbs to fit these chargers in.

IMG_4279.jpegIMG_4280.jpeg

If this is the spot this is completely terrible location. As someone who runs the I55 North South corridore route ta V3 supercharger is badly needed in the springfield region with direct access off of the interstate. THe current charger gets full often and is also off route when traveling the I55 route. Theres no good reason to stick a 12 bay supercharegr in the heart of Springfield. nowhere near a major interstate. What a Joke. Guess Ill continue to use my adapter and hit the EA station at walmrt which is much more convienent and cheaper. Id rather use Tesla just for the speed and ease of use but when they make the locations total nonsense then nope sorry.

I would have preferred something closer to 55 but the more chargers, the better I guess. The current Springfield charger is easy to get to, but the after-hour facilities (bathrooms) are severely lacking in that area.
Preffered is putting it lightly. DUMB DUMB DUMB location that does nothing to alliviate the crowded current charger because all the traffic goign thru there is mostly going north south on 55. Im not driving clear across the city across Springfield crappy roads and a hundred stoplights to charge along that route,

Preffered is putting it lightly. DUMB DUMB DUMB location that does nothing to alliviate the crowded current charger because all the traffic goign thru there is mostly going north south on 55. Im not driving clear across the city across Springfield crappy roads and a hundred stoplights to charge along that route,

Sure it’ll help. This will absorb some of the local load, support airport traffic and provide an alternate for travelers connection to and from I-55/I-72 by way of IL-4. The combination of these should improve the situation at the existing V2 Supercharger, even if the new location isn’t immediately convenient to you.

Just spent the weekend in Springfield for Hockey @anchoragewoverines vs @JrBlues. Charging is lacking especially for Tesla's Most hotels don't even have Level 2 charging. This will help in the trip down for the playoff's(big if) or next year visit.

Why not just upgrade the site at Scheels to 250kW and add more posts. This location at Haymakers will be rarely used, since It adds close to half an hour of drive time for cars coming from I72.

Agree fully with you. Would’ve been nice for an I-55 Supercharger, but the Haymakers location is worse than just leaving the Scheels location. I get the argument “the more the merrier” but this proposed location is isn’t going to benefit many users. I can’t imagine route planning taking drivers this far into town and off the highway. Scheels management has been very helpful and supportive of the Tesla community dating back to early 2015. Adding 8 new 250kW to the previous Springfield location would make a lot more sense. The parking row that house the current Superchargers is spacious enough for 20+ new stalls, as well as Casa Real (Mexican restauran) being completed right next door.

Drove through Springfield today and stopped at the new construction site. See attached photos. Was surprised that they seem to be using the old-style installation process as opposed to the module sets I have seen lately.

Separately, it took ~15 minutes to get to the site from Scheels (two different routes were the same duration). Also, it took ~15 minutes to get from the site to the I-55 North (beyond Sherman) on-ramp. Avoids most of I-55 through Springfield so may be worth the time trade-off for a change of pace if you are running I-55 north and south a lot. Experimentation may determine your preference once it is open.
IMG_2123.jpeg
IMG_2126.jpeg

Update...stopped by this site today when passing though Springfield after again splitting a charge at the Scheels SC location...this is getting old. I snapped a few pics of the Haymaker's SC location. See attached. As you can see construction is mostly complete. I could not find another transformer on site or any preparation for an additional one. Also, as you can see, one cabinet needs to be installed...I assume this is the cabinet where the meter would be installed...usually in close proximity to the transformer. The waiting continues.
IMG_2162.jpeg
IMG_2163.jpeg
IMG_2164.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC
Thanks. It was good to talk with you and your son. Welcome to the TMC. Since you are local, you should have a front-row seat to any changes on this one and the one under construction at County Market. Both will be good for different reasons. It would be great for everyone if you could provide updates on both threads when you see significant progress. Regards.

Thanks. It was good to talk with you and your son. Welcome to the TMC. Since you are local, you should have a front-row seat to any changes on this one and the one under construction at County Market. Both will be good for different reasons. It would be great for everyone if you could provide updates on both threads when you see significant progress. Regards.
I'm in Springfield as well. I drove by the Haymaker's location yesterday but they still have the yellow caution tape up on the chargers. Didn't pay much attention to any other site details.