Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tehachapi, CA (permit, 40 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to slander the fine folks of Mojave or Tehachapi, but I'd venture that most folks are just "passing through" with at least a couple hours of driving both before and after. So whether one has to stop to charge around here or not, most likely to be coming through during the day. I'd even go further to say that those on the SF<->Vegas route are concentrated within a few hours around noon - it's a 9-10 hr drive WITHOUT supercharger congestion. Short enough that no one will stop overnight, long enough that folks will plan lunch between Buttonwillow and Barstow, so as to not have to start or end the trip at 4am or some ungodly hour (ignoring the party-all-weekend Vegas crowd, that would be a whole different beast).

That pretty much ensures then that SF <-> Vegas will all stack up at Buttonwillow and Barstow/Yermo and ensuring 72kw max at those V2 chargers, adding another hour or more to the ABRP estimate since you can't charge at 100kw+ speeds. And sure some can skip Mojave, but it means taking an even longer, slower sip of electrons up to say 90%, adding even more time. Conversely, folks on both longer and shorter routes to/from SF don't have as much need to leave at the same time of day, so have more flexibility to find Mojave uncrowded, or skip it altogether.

Indeed, at least the Google Maps congestion data for the Mojave supercharger, shows during the weekdays a highly concentrated mid-day peak, with very little activity in the morning or late afternoon. Congestion data for Buttonwillow and Barstow do have mid-day peaks, but are also more variable, since there are people traversing many different itineraries at different times.

There's a new 40-stall V3 supercharger station open in Yermo, so start over.

Sure, I was talking about how it things have been, so agree all these new V3 are a game-changer - that's why my earlier post here said "things are getting better now, and more coming, with more sites, more stalls, and more V3" along this route. Ironically, once Buttonwillow area gets more V3 as well, it favors those arguing here that more supercharging around Tehachapi/Mojave is NOT needed...

• Disagree
Reactions: shadowmyst87
Here is the news article:

I've actually had my eye on this Love's Truck Stop as a potential supercharger location for quite some time. Nice to see one of my ideas (eventually) coming to fruition.

Nice. I'm from Tehachapi, I don't love there anymore, but my parents still do. I've rented a few Teslas before to drive out there during the holidays. My parents don't have a 240v outlet anywhere at their house, so I've had to rely on level 1 charging. I've been begging Tesla for awhile to build a location in Tehachapi right at the Love's truck stop through their online submission forum.

Drove by a few days ago, nothing going on yet. Although, the property has a chain link fence around some of it.

Attachments

• 20230709_191511.jpg
    20230709_191511.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 108