Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tofte MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I found the claim of the EV market growing by 23% in the next 5 years to be dubious! Maybe they mean from 2% or whatever it currently is up to 25%, but it makes it sound like it's 2% to 2.46%.

Perfect location for Lutsen / Grand Marais / other North Shore destinations. Also ~108 miles from the Thunder Bay Supercharger, which should make trips to/from Canada much easier.
Still makes me think they will eventually put another one in either Grand Marais or Grand Portage.

I think they could have gotten away with a single splitter of Grand Marais to go between Two Harbors and Thunder Bay, but it seems like Tofte and Lutsen get enough tourism to justify one there, or at least that must be what they are thinking.

Reactions: Cyberjr
Still makes me think they will eventually put another one in either Grand Marais or Grand Portage.

I think they could have gotten away with a single splitter of Grand Marais to go between Two Harbors and Thunder Bay, but it seems like Tofte and Lutsen get enough tourism to justify one there, or at least that must be what they are thinking.
I think Tofte makes more sense than Grand Marais. As you said, Lutsen gets a good amount of tourism and people would have to backtrack around 40 minutes round-trip to go north to Grand Marais to charge.

So, what’s interesting here is that Tofte was on the Supercharger Vote list. Yet it sounds as thought this location was already well in the works before the Voting had started.

Speaking of Voting for Supercharging locations, I wonder if Teslas team will be using the Voting totals to show potential hosts how much demand there is for EV/Tesla charging infrastructure in a particular area.

Last edited:
Tofte, MN

Host Type: Hotel
Host: Surfside Resort
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: MN-61

MN-61

To: End (Canada near Grand Portage, MN) - 69.2 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles

To: Thunder Bay, ON (MN-61/ON-61) - 105.8 miles

Connecting the Lake Superior North Shore. Tofte, MN was one of the locations in the Tesla Supercharger voting.

Anyone have an idea when it will be ready to use?

Nobody knows for sure, but Tesla says Q2 of 2023
1674775324446.png

Reactions: PStewart
I am excited for this to be completed this summer. The north shore is really lacking fast charging. I assume this will include the Magic Dock for non-Teslas. I wonder how busy the site will be since it's the only option for fast charging over 50kW for non-Tesla north of Duluth.

I also was told that the Arrowhead Electric power grid up closer to Lutsen is less stable, due to some high demand customers in that area and activities like snow making. Most of our power comes north from the west end of the county. So Tofte was a preferred site in Cook County. Tesla approved the Tofte site within a day of Bluefin management communicating about it. The time since the has been planning, permitting and working with the local utility.