Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Voting 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Rockport ME is doing OK in the voting, if you haven't voted yet please vote for that location. Mid Coast Main is their biggest hole in New England. Also under suggestions for the the next round please request Bath Maine, that's the jumping off point for Boothbay, Georgetown and New Harbor.

If they were to do Rockland, ME (Hannaford being the natural location), then they could probably do Topsham, ME at the Hannaford near I-295 Exit 31.
Yes, it's not on US-1, but it would also serve I-295 and in particular the Topsham connector offers a fast route to US-1N to the east

Also, rather than Bath, ME there's a Hannaford at Cooks Corner (east of Brunswick, Brunswick address) 5 miles West of Bath and from there ME-24 heads down to Harpswell, Orr's Island and Bailey Island.

Topsham Hannaford - Bailey Island - Georgetown - Boothbay Harbor - New Harbor
- Topsham Hannaford: 153.6 miles
- Rockland Hannaford: 148.1 miles

Cooks Corner Hannaford - Popham Beach - Georgetown - Boothbay Harbor - New Harbor
- Cooks Corner Hannaford: 148.9 miles
- Rockland Hannaford: 147.6 miles
(for Bailey Island would have the option of charging before or after so not an issue)

Topsham Hannaford - Ellsworth Hannaford (US-1): 118.7 miles
Cooks Corner Hannaford - Ellsworth Hannaford: 105.2 miles

Reactions: dhkaufman
I’m confused by sites that are on the supercharger voting map but also are already under construction - example: San Angelo TX. This has already started construction, so why is it on the voting map?

Also, some sites are supposedly permitted, at least have initial permits. Those are more gray area as you never know until they start construction.

Hard choices this time - picking my top five that is.

I’m confused by sites that are on the supercharger voting map but also are already under construction - example: San Angelo TX. This has already started construction, so why is it on the voting map?

Also, some sites are supposedly permitted, at least have initial permits. Those are more gray area as you never know until they start construction.

Hard choices this time - picking my top five that is.

I think they think most people don't check Supercharge.info. :p

I did note that most sites in the voting were not on Interstates. I found only 2 significant Lower 48 Interstate Splitters!

It's another voting cycle. They still don't have any new Superchargers planned for Maine. Rockland is still on the voting map so please vote for it. After you've done that go to the suggestions and add Bath ME and Wiscassett ME and North Adams MA so that they can appear in a future vote.

Route 1 Maine is the most under-served route in New England all it has are the 8 V2s in Freeport, nothing beyond there.

Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
It's another voting cycle. They still don't have any new Superchargers planned for Maine. Rockland is still on the voting map so please vote for it. After you've done that go to the suggestions and add Bath ME and Wiscassett ME and North Adams MA so that they can appear in a future vote.

Don't vote for Rockland. It was awarded to Tesla as part of the Phase 5 (funded by NEVI).
The requirements of the RFP say it should be operational within 12 months of contract execution, and encouraged to be sooner.

Route 1 Maine is the most under-served route in New England all it has are the 8 V2s in Freeport, nothing beyond there.
There are 6 Superchargers on US-1 in Maine: Wells, Saco, Portland, Freeport, Ellsworth, Baileyville.

Seabrook, NH
Wells
Saco
Portland
Freeport
Ellsworth
Baileyville
End at Fort Kent ME

Not only requires something in the Midcoast, but also more further Downeast as well as in the North.

Fortunately with the ARPA funding for Phase 4, and the NEVI funding for Phase 5, there will be multiple NEVI-scale additions on US-1 in the Midcoast (Brunswick, Waldoboro, Rockland, Searsport), chargers Downeast (Ellsworth again for NEVI, Machias ARPA) and ARPA chargers further north (Danforth, Houlton, Presque Isle, Van Buren and Fort Kent). Besides the Tesla location in Rockland, the opening up of NACS means that Tesla owners might not even need an adapter to use most of the new chargers.

There are also currently pairs of 62.5kW CCS in Brunswick (Hyundai dealer) and Belfast (Hannaford) if you have an adapter.-

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
Only recent Tesla's can use a CCS adapter, they haven't released the port upgrade for the 3 or the Y and it's not clear if they ever will. What's needed are Superchargers not CCS chargers. The last Supercharger on Route 1 is at Freeport, it's only 8 V2 stalls and Freeport is crowded during the day. The only Route 1 location in the voting is Rockland, please vote for it. The Supercharger map doesn't show any planned chargers for Route 1 so we have to assume that they haven't committed to it.

Only recent Tesla's can use a CCS adapter, they haven't released the port upgrade for the 3 or the Y and it's not clear if they ever will. What's needed are Superchargers not CCS chargers. The last Supercharger on Route 1 is at Freeport, it's only 8 V2 stalls and Freeport is crowded during the day. The only Route 1 location in the voting is Rockland, please vote for it. The Supercharger map doesn't show any planned chargers for Route 1 so we have to assume that they haven't committed to it.
With Tesla having Rockland in the voting, bidding and winning NEVI funding with the location being at its biggest Maine partner (Hannaford), I don't see how they're not committed to it. And the NEVI bid actually adds commitment because the RFP wants it built within 12 moths.

As you note, it's a glaring gap, but they've had Camden on the Coming Soon before so they're clearly aware of the gap.

With the NEVI, the build will have to wait for full confirmation of that, and likely also wait for Version 4.

Plus, with Tesla winning the NEVI bid for Augusta, ME at an existing location (Marketplace Mall) it means that Rockland isn't the only location in Maine in which they'll be active and it could potentially slow down the Rockland location a bit so they can have subcontractors bid on multiple installations.

Newport, ME is also still on the map for next year. Plus there's the current development in Bangor on Broadway at a new development at which they'dplanned to add chargers, and although they might have failed to win a NEVI bid for it, it's at a far better location than the winning Bangor NEVI bid. I hope they build it.

PS the last Supercharger on US-1 _before Rockland_ is Freeport. The last Supercharger on US-1 Is in Baileyville. Ellsworth is also on US-1.

PPS On Saturday in Waterville I saw 6 Teslas charging. There are 12 stalls. It's the most I've seen there.

Reactions: Tdreamer
With Tesla having Rockland in the voting, bidding and winning NEVI funding with the location being at its biggest Maine partner (Hannaford), I don't see how they're not committed to it. And the NEVI bid actually adds commitment because the RFP wants it built within 12 moths.

As you note, it's a glaring gap, but they've had Camden on the Coming Soon before so they're clearly aware of the gap.

With the NEVI, the build will have to wait for full confirmation of that, and likely also wait for Version 4.

Plus, with Tesla winning the NEVI bid for Augusta, ME at an existing location (Marketplace Mall) it means that Rockland isn't the only location in Maine in which they'll be active and it could potentially slow down the Rockland location a bit so they can have subcontractors bid on multiple installations.

Newport, ME is also still on the map for next year. Plus there's the current development in Bangor on Broadway at a new development at which they'dplanned to add chargers, and although they might have failed to win a NEVI bid for it, it's at a far better location than the winning Bangor NEVI bid. I hope they build it.

PS the last Supercharger on US-1 _before Rockland_ is Freeport. The last Supercharger on US-1 Is in Baileyville. Ellsworth is also on US-1.

PPS On Saturday in Waterville I saw 6 Teslas charging. There are 12 stalls. It's the most I've seen there.
They need one in Machias, Maine.

Reactions: kayak1
They need one in Machias, Maine.

Need is such a strong word. 88 miles from Ellsworth to Baileyville, although the US-1 loop is 40 miles longer.

There is DCFC coming to Machias. It's Phase Round 4 and will be Tier 2, which is
2+ CCS, 2+ >=150kW (possibly shared), 1+ CHAdeMO 50kW
(See https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/Phase4-2_RFP_013_2023_UPDATED_2023-07-28.pdf)

Unfortunately, the CHAdeMO requirement means they can't just put in a pair with CCS and NACS unless they have a charger with 3 plugs.

If they were to do Rockland, ME (Hannaford being the natural location), then they could probably do Topsham, ME at the Hannaford near I-295 Exit 31.
Yes, it's not on US-1, but it would also serve I-295 and in particular the Topsham connector offers a fast route to US-1N to the east

Also, rather than Bath, ME there's a Hannaford at Cooks Corner (east of Brunswick, Brunswick address) 5 miles West of Bath and from there ME-24 heads down to Harpswell, Orr's Island and Bailey Island.

Topsham Hannaford - Bailey Island - Georgetown - Boothbay Harbor - New Harbor
- Topsham Hannaford: 153.6 miles
- Rockland Hannaford: 148.1 miles

Cooks Corner Hannaford - Popham Beach - Georgetown - Boothbay Harbor - New Harbor
- Cooks Corner Hannaford: 148.9 miles
- Rockland Hannaford: 147.6 miles
(for Bailey Island would have the option of charging before or after so not an issue)

Topsham Hannaford - Ellsworth Hannaford (US-1): 118.7 miles
Cooks Corner Hannaford - Ellsworth Hannaford: 105.2 miles
Agree with all those suggestions. Topsham Hannaford is a long-time EVgo DC-fast-charging site. And convenient to McDonalds and to the bypass route to Downeast Maine. Better than driving through Brunswick itself.