Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Data points for Potomac Mills SC

Well I don't have enough space allotted to post the photos, but I arrived with 9 mi left on my range.

One be other car on the charger, and I pulled 312mph, 320A, 315V. I'm tickled with this result.

(Sorry for not switching the display to energy, but we wanted to eat!)

Well I don't have enough space allotted to post the photos, but I arrived with 9 mi left on my range.

One be other car on the charger, and I pulled 312mph, 320A, 315V. I'm tickled with this result.

(Sorry for not switching the display to energy, but we wanted to eat!)

That is only 100kW... Shouldn't I be higher than that? Or were you saying you were sharing a stall? If that is the case then 100 is pretty great if someone else was pulling a charge at the same time.

image.jpg

124kw. It could be higher at lower mileage - will let you know next time. :)

(LMB spouse)

Drove Boston-Charleston South Carolina-Boston last week to pick up our son from college. Stopped at the Woodbridge SC, four other cars charging, two green, three (including LMB's) red, Arrived with 55 miles range and got 122 kilowatts for a few minutes; pretty good considering how many other cars, although we were not sharing a charger. Also met AJ, who we'd seen previously at the All-SC-Lead-To-DC event.

Last edited:
Well then it must secretly be a 135! Someone needs to drop there miles down really low and try again!

OK either my car hates me or it was a fluke... I was there with 8 miles left (took a giant loop road trip just to get my miles that low since I live 5 miles away.) I was getting only 120... It hit 121 for like half a second but wouldn't stay there.

There were two other cars there I was on 3b they were on 2b and 4b so definitely not sharing... I will post the photo when I get back home...

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of curiosity would temp affect this? Because it is like 84 out right now. Maybe it wouldn't go higher because of that? The fans on the main unit were going in high speed because of the power conversion.

(LMB spouse)

Drove Boston-Charleston South Carolina-Boston last week to pick up our son from college. Stopped at the Woodbridge SC, four other cars charging, two green, three (including LMB's) red, Arrived with 55 miles range and got122 kilowatts for a few minutes; pretty good considering how many other cars, although we were not sharing a charger. Also met AJ, who we'd seen previously at the All-SC-Lead-To-DC event.

Thanks for sharing! Amazing to think that your trip would not have been possible a year ago in a Model S. We've come quite a long way so far.

Visited this SC on 5.6 and 5.8. The trip up was fine. On the return trip had some problems... Last stall on the right (towards the 7/11) was giving a pretty slow rate. I forget what it was, but worse than Hagerstown MD and Somerset PA, anyway. A couple other stalls wouldn't "latch" -- getting the red circle around charge port.

Tesla with Alaska plates on was there the whole time, didn't see the owner.

Several of the stalls don't latch on the first attempt, but they ended up working after a bit of jimmying around. I haven't tried the right-most charger though. 124kW is where they seem to top off at, even with <40 miles of starting range.

Good info. It looks like with the current firmware, a relatively new 85 kWh battery, and a 135 kW Cabinet, the max charge rate is limited to 124 kW.

124 kW/85 kWh = 1.46C and 105 kW/60 kWh = 1.62C, so it seems that a 60 can still charge at a faster relative rate.

I wonder if there is a wire size safety limit in the car, or if this is just a conservative firmware limit that may be raised in the future. In reality, going from 124 kW to 135 kW will gain at most a few minutes in reduced charge time before the taper limit is hit.

But it still doesn't make any sense to me, given that at best I saw 121, and my car came off the line in March (I mean I got one of the first production cars that had the titanium plating already installed at the factory). So why am I not seeing 124? (PS: I have the latest firmware as well, 5.9). My only guess is that either it is a fluke read out that someone else is seeing a slightly different number, or the time of day I was charging impacted my rate somehow. But I am still inclined to think that the charger is technically just a 120kW.

Keep in mind we don't have the output plating that indicates 135. The 135 is technically capable of 137... so it could just be one of those things were our firmware is able to support a higher charge rate if it is available, so we are maxing out the cabinet vice getting capped at the supposed 120 rate.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

All I know, if I can get my battery low enough I will go back and try again, making sure to use a different charging stall this time to see what I get.

I'll do some experimenting during a business trip to Pittsburgh later this month. Chicken may be right - that 120kW cabinets top out at 124. After all, they're labeled as Gen I.

It's good to have a SC in Woodbridge. I can charge there without feeling like a douche - I'm usually there at 5:30am, and it's always been empty at that time of day.