Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Worthington, MN - Oxford Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the nudge. I might do it since we have a drive up that direction coming this weekend.

For the record, here is what the service guy said "I can set it up for you to purchase that part, but I will tell you, that there is more to it than that single part. It would also require a change of the vehicle’s configurations with our internal system, and no Tesla service center would update the configuration for you on that. Also, if we note that you have performed unauthorized work on the HV system (of which the charging ECU is a part of), this would void the warranty on any components affected through the upgrade."
Wow, that seems excessive on their part…
You are simply replacing one certified Tesla part with another Tesla certified part. No third party product is involved in your case. Plus, the ECU is not even “directly” part of the High Voltage wiring. And, no reconfiguration by Tesla is needed; the car auto-detects the new part during the software re-flash/reinstall process.
I had simply walked into Tesla Rogers with the needed part # on a post-it note. They didn't even ask me any questions. (Legal “Right-to-repair” in my opinion.) Theoretically, if there was any issue, I could simply put the old ECU back in and re-flash.
That said, doing your own ”electrical work“ in a $50k car can be a little “cross your fingers”. :)
Good luck!

Reactions: Cyberjr and ybkpk
It’s funny, I technically can’t buy the CCS adapter for my vehicle because it requires a retrofit. It doesn’t show up when I’m logged in. But if I just shop generically without logging in, it doesn’t have a VIN to limit my viewing options.

I would prefer to have the official Retrofit over the DIY workaround. I’ve noticed when I SuperCharge starting below 20% SOC, more times than not, It will Fault RED at 19-20% I unplug and replug in and it continues to charge normally. I’m thinking there is a thermal trigger that goes slightly out of range at that point. I’ve had several instances when I walked away from the vehicle only to get a message that it stopped charging. Now, I sit and wait till I’m past that point in the charging process before leaving the vehicle.

This note is shown if you click on the CCS1 adapter for purchase.

NOTE: FOR MODEL 3 AND MODEL Y VEHICLES REQUIRING A RETROFIT, PLEASE CHECK BACK IN JANUARY 2024 FOR AVAILABILITY.”

Reactions: Cyberjr
I hope it will be 7+, but now that MN has a pretty good geographic distribution of superchargers, I am just not seeing Tesla thinking that MN is grossly underserved compared to other states with higher concentration of Teslas.
I can reasonably see these possibilities: Virginia, Grand Rapids, Lakeville, Vadnias Heights, Eden Prairie, Brainerd (Baxter upgrade), Red Wing
Maybe also: St. Cloud, Glencoe, Duluth (upgrade), Grand Marais, Annandale, Inver Grove Heights.
But, I will still put my $1 in the 2024 pool for “7”. :)
(I do hope I am wrong though.)
I head up to Vermilion every year from Colorado and it still amazes me that Virginia doesn't have a working fast charger. The ZEF one has been broken for over a year. The only one near is the one ZEF charger Chisholm. Putting a Supercharger or CCS charger in the Target parking lot of Virginia seems like an no brainer.

I head up to Vermilion every year from Colorado and it still amazes me that Virginia doesn't have a working fast charger. The ZEF one has been broken for over a year. The only one near is the one ZEF charger Chisholm. Putting a Supercharger or CCS charger in the Target parking lot of Virginia seems like an no brainer.
I think MN needs to be more proactive; both the state and local communities and businesses.
In AZ and CO, there are DCFC chargers popping up all over the place. Granted these are currently CCS, but eventually some of them will be NACS. This drives better EV adoption, and probably more Tesla superchargers as well.
Phoenix currently has 12 Tesla supercharger permits in process! And Denver has been getting superchargers pretty fast too.

The problem with the DCFC like ZEF is once they are installed, there is no financial incentive to be had for maintaining it.

If it was a broken gas pump, you can be damn sure the business owner would get it fixed asap to continue selling product even if there were other pumps available.

Reactions: Cyberjr
I think MN needs to be more proactive; both the state and local communities and businesses.
In AZ and CO, there are DCFC chargers popping up all over the place. Granted these are currently CCS, but eventually some of them will be NACS. This drives better EV adoption, and probably more Tesla superchargers as well.
Phoenix currently has 12 Tesla supercharger permits in process! And Denver has been getting superchargers pretty fast too.
Either CCS or NACS would be good with me as soon as Tesla opens up their network. I do t even own a Tesla. Just interested in new supercharger locations since I’ll be able to use them soon.

It’s funny, I technically can’t buy the CCS adapter for my vehicle because it requires a retrofit. It doesn’t show up when I’m logged in. But if I just shop generically without logging in, it doesn’t have a VIN to limit my viewing options.

I would prefer to have the official Retrofit over the DIY workaround. I’ve noticed when I SuperCharge starting below 20% SOC, more times than not, It will Fault RED at 19-20% I unplug and replug in and it continues to charge normally. I’m thinking there is a thermal trigger that goes slightly out of range at that point. I’ve had several instances when I walked away from the vehicle only to get a message that it stopped charging. Now, I sit and wait till I’m past that point in the charging process before leaving the vehicle.

This note is shown if you click on the CCS1 adapter for purchase.

NOTE: FOR MODEL 3 AND MODEL Y VEHICLES REQUIRING A RETROFIT, PLEASE CHECK BACK IN JANUARY 2024 FOR AVAILABILITY.”
It really isnt that hard of a process to retrofit. It took me 15 minutes to watch video and 25 minutes to take the trunk liner out and get into the charger area and remove the ECU and install the new one along with the bundle of wires component all purchased from same guy online. (Also removed the back seat and unplugged the battery.) Then went in to Service mode and re downloaded the software. The vehicle booted up and showed the retrofit completed. Did this approximately 2. years ago on My 2020 Model 3 P. I needed to travel thru upper midwest. As well as trips to AZ and Texas. You probably don't need it anymore as there are so many more tesla chargers

Reactions: starman27
It really isnt that hard of a process to retrofit. It took me 15 minutes to watch video and 25 minutes to take the trunk liner out and get into the charger area and remove the ECU and install the new one along with the bundle of wires component all purchased from same guy online. (Also removed the back seat and unplugged the battery.) Then went in to Service mode and re downloaded the software. The vehicle booted up and showed the retrofit completed. Did this approximately 2. years ago on My 2020 Model 3 P. I needed to travel thru upper midwest. As well as trips to AZ and Texas. You probably don't need it anymore as there are so many more tesla chargers
To be clear, I did the DIY install a few months after it became possible to do. Very easy, but I did have to wait for the next OTA update to sync the replacement charge port ECU. This was before we had public access to service mode. However, ever since then, I experience a weird Fault at 19-20% SOC while charging up from a lower SOC. Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to fix it. I feel like the bundle of wires might have something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️

I’m guessing the official retrofit will just be the ECU and a software adjustment. No need for the Bundle of wires harness.

Fwiw, I’m planning a trip to AZ from WI in late March. My preferred ( shortest route) is via US54 from Wichita, KS to Tuccumcari, NM (429 mi) a SuC desert. I’ve done it in the past when the car was new 5 years ago with one L2 overnight charge in Liberal, KS. Even that was a hassle, the Tesla destination chargers were limited to 9 mph output. I had to ultimately use the Clipper creek 32A @ ( 208v) unit to get 24 mph rate. Since then, a couple 50 kWh DCFC’s have been installed in OK. However, the plugshare reviews have been less than comforting that they will even be working when I get that far if I need them.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
To be clear, I did the DIY install a few months after it became possible to do. Very easy, but I did have to wait for the next OTA update to sync the replacement charge port ECU. This was before we had public access to service mode. However, ever since then, I experience a weird Fault at 19-20% SOC while charging up from a lower SOC. Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to fix it. I feel like the bundle of wires might have something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️

I’m guessing the official retrofit will just be the ECU and a software adjustment. No need for the Bundle of wires harness.

Fwiw, I’m planning a trip to AZ from WI in late March. My preferred ( shortest route) is via US54 from Wichita, KS to Tuccumcari, NM (429 mi) a SuC desert. I’ve done it in the past when the car was new 5 years ago with one L2 overnight charge in Liberal, KS. Even that was a hassle, the Tesla destination chargers were limited to 9 mph output. I had to ultimately use the Clipper creek 32A @ ( 208v) unit to get 24 mph rate. Since then, a couple 50 kWh DCFC’s have been installed in OK. However, the plugshare reviews have been less than comforting that they will even be working when I get that far if I need them.
If you are doing the Midwest <-> AZ drive, and you have a little extra time, and you want a WAY more interesting drive, I always go through NE or KS, then CO Springs and over the Rockies now that the Tesla charging infrastructure has improved so much. Lots of cool things to see and do such as National Parks, National Monuments, hikes, mountain passes, craters, hot springs, etc. Weather can go either way in March, but El Niño is in our favor this year! (I never want to do OK or TX, or even NM, again.)

That’s a possibility for the return trip. We are heading to the Prescott area for a visit with family. I like to do the travel to AZ in 2 days and the return home in 3 days via an alternate route. The last time we did the trip in 2019. We decided to take I-25 from ABQ to Trinidad, CO. We spent the night in Las Vegas, NM at the Historic Grand Hotel. My wife just randomly chose it for the reasonable rate and it sounded interesting to try something different from the typical interstate hotel chains. We found out after arriving, the hotel and downtown square where it’s located had been used in the film “No country for old men” and TV series “Longmire” which ran for six seasons. All of the Actors stayed at the hotel while filming was on location. It was an unplanned surprise. My wife still talks about to this day.

That’s a possibility for the return trip. We are heading to the Prescott area for a visit with family. I like to do the travel to AZ in 2 days and the return home in 3 days via an alternate route. The last time we did the trip in 2019. We decided to take I-25 from ABQ to Trinidad, CO. We spent the night in Las Vegas, NM at the Historic Grand Hotel. My wife just randomly chose it for the reasonable rate and it sounded interesting to try something different from the typical interstate hotel chains. We found out after arriving, the hotel and downtown square where it’s located had been used in the film “No country for old men” and TV series “Longmire” which ran for six seasons. All of the Actors stayed at the hotel while filming was on location. It was an unplanned surprise. My wife still talks about to this day.
That is interesting about Las Vegas NM, good to know… We generally don’t like that area because there ain’t much there and the supercharger sucks. :) The Trinidad supercharger always kind of sucks too; the gas station and the Wendy’s are always filthy. The Pueblo supercharger helps out the stretch north of there; there is a really nice river walk close by.
ABQ isn’t really that exciting either; the traffic always seems crazy, but at least there are finally a couple supercharger choices, and more coming.
But, now we like the Gallup / Farmington / Durango / Pagosa Springs / Alamosa / Pueblo route much better, if you have a little more time (and a CCS adapter to make it easier.)
If you have time in Prescott, there is a really cool hike at Watson Lake. And if you are driving north from Prescott, there is a really cool drive through the mountain through Jerome and over to Cottonwood. And Jerome has the Haunted Hamburger! And Cottonwood has a cool “old town” area with nice shops and a restaurant with a hill climbing elevator / cable car.

That is interesting about Las Vegas NM, good to know… We generally don’t like that area because there ain’t much there and the supercharger sucks. :) The Trinidad supercharger always kind of sucks too; the gas station and the Wendy’s are always filthy. The Pueblo supercharger helps out the stretch north of there; there is a really nice river walk close by.
ABQ isn’t really that exciting either; the traffic always seems crazy, but at least there are finally a couple supercharger choices, and more coming.
But, now we like the Gallup / Farmington / Durango / Pagosa Springs / Alamosa / Pueblo route much better, if you have a little more time (and a CCS adapter to make it easier.)
If you have time in Prescott, there is a really cool hike at Watson Lake. And if you are driving north from Prescott, there is a really cool drive through the mountain through Jerome and over to Cottonwood. And Jerome has the Haunted Hamburger! And Cottonwood has a cool “old town” area with nice shops and a restaurant with a hill climbing elevator / cable car.
I’ve been to Jerome and Cottonwood e few times. I love the winding drive. I don’t recall the Haunted Hamburger though. We spent a few hours walking the shops the last time we were out there though. Summer 2022. We flew that time though.