Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Worthington, MN - Oxford Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Charging on X just posted the New Worthington location is LIVE on Find Us

@Big Earl @corywright

IMG_0889.jpeg

Looks like MN no longer has any “permit” or “construction” superchargers. :(
Hope something shows up soon; there are certainly some areas needing easier Tesla access. (My area in AZ has 10 “permit” sites! Kind of crazy…)
What will be next? Virginia, Grand Rapids, International Falls, Red Wing, …
Yes please, to all of those locations. Virginia would be the biggest help to me.
I agree it is a little crazy how much attention the Phoenix area has gotten and so little in Tucson. They could use a little love down there. :)

Looks like MN no longer has any “permit” or “construction” superchargers. :(
Hope something shows up soon; there are certainly some areas needing easier Tesla access. (My area in AZ has 10 “permit” sites! Kind of crazy…)
What will be next? Virginia, Grand Rapids, International Falls, Red Wing, …
Unfortunately, these buildouts seem to stop over winter for obvious reasons.

According to supercharge.info, here is the trend of new superchargers going online in past years (This new Worthington one should probably count as a 2023 one, but I'm only counting sites that actually went online in their respective year):
  • 2023: 9
  • 2022: 6
  • 2021: 5
  • 2020: 4
  • 2019: 2
  • 2018: 0
  • 2017: 2
  • 2016: 2
  • 2015: 3
  • 2014: 1
I really am liking that trend, and have big hopes for 2024 Superchargers (and CCS/non-Tesla DCFCs) being built out in more remote areas around the state.

Unfortunately, these buildouts seem to stop over winter for obvious reasons.

According to supercharge.info, here is the trend of new superchargers going online in past years (This new Worthington one should probably count as a 2023 one, but I'm only counting sites that actually went online in their respective year):
  • 2023: 9
  • 2022: 6
  • 2021: 5
  • 2020: 4
  • 2019: 2
  • 2018: 0
  • 2017: 2
  • 2016: 2
  • 2015: 3
  • 2014: 1
I really am liking that trend, and have big hopes for 2024 Superchargers (and CCS/non-Tesla DCFCs) being built out in more remote areas around the state.
Unfortunately I am not as optimistic for new MN superchargers in 2024…
With no chargers currently in permit or construction status, and none on Tesla‘s Coming Soon page, the currently available data does not look promising. I think we peaked at 9 (within a calendar year) for now. :(
My guess is 7 for 2024.
I guess that could change if MN frees up some NEVI related funding…

Reactions: kingzorb
Unfortunately I am not as optimistic for new MN superchargers in 2024…
With no chargers currently in permit or construction status...
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I clicked around supercharger.info some more to filter on "open" and "permit" status (so the date a permit was discovered and the date it actually opened) and only 2 of the 9 superchargers that went online in 2023 had a permit in 2022 (Eagan and Tofte). The other 7 all had permits pulled and work completed in 2023 alone.

I guess time will tell 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I clicked around supercharger.info some more to filter on "open" and "permit" status (so the date a permit was discovered and the date it actually opened) and only 2 of the 9 superchargers that went online in 2023 had a permit in 2022 (Eagan and Tofte). The other 7 all had permits pulled and work completed in 2023 alone.

I guess time will tell 🤷‍♂️
I hope it will be 7+, but now that MN has a pretty good geographic distribution of superchargers, I am just not seeing Tesla thinking that MN is grossly underserved compared to other states with higher concentration of Teslas.
I can reasonably see these possibilities: Virginia, Grand Rapids, Lakeville, Vadnias Heights, Eden Prairie, Brainerd (Baxter upgrade), Red Wing
Maybe also: St. Cloud, Glencoe, Duluth (upgrade), Grand Marais, Annandale, Inver Grove Heights.
But, I will still put my $1 in the 2024 pool for “7”. :)
(I do hope I am wrong though.)

Reactions: minnesnowta
I hope it will be 7+, but now that MN has a pretty good geographic distribution of superchargers, I am just not seeing Tesla thinking that MN is grossly underserved compared to other states with higher concentration of Teslas.
I can reasonably see these possibilities: Virginia, Grand Rapids, Lakeville, Vadnias Heights, Eden Prairie, Brainerd (Baxter upgrade), Red Wing
Maybe also: St. Cloud, Glencoe, Duluth (upgrade), Grand Marais, Annandale, Inver Grove Heights.
But, I will still put my $1 in the 2024 pool for “7”. :)
(I do hope I am wrong though.)
The other side of the river's is pretty much in the same boat, sort a speak. We had a great year for expansion, but now it's near zero. We have one in Permit ( (Elkorn,WI) and one soon to be announced (Madison area), which is All fine and good. However, I look at the state from a traveler standpoint, which means filling in Empty areas off the 4 Lane corridors to have reasonably spaced locations every 50-70 miles in any general direction. The northern area is a desert. The southern area needs a few Splitter locations added on 2 lane Hwy routes.

Reactions: Cyberjr
The other side of the river's is pretty much in the same boat, sort a speak. We had a great year for expansion, but now it's near zero. We have one in Permit ( (Elkorn,WI) and one soon to be announced (Madison area), which is All fine and good. However, I look at the state from a traveler standpoint, which means filling in Empty areas off the 4 Lane corridors to have reasonably spaced locations every 50-70 miles in any general direction. The northern area is a desert. The southern area needs a few Splitter locations added on 2 lane Hwy routes.
I think the difference in WI, specifically in the north, is that a very popular travel corridor and very popular tourism areas, are essentially completely uncovered by charging infrastructure. Tesla desperately needs to add some chargers up north, including into the U.P. of MI.
In Northern MN, there is obviously tourism, but it would be stretch to say there are any comparable key travel corridors.
I don’t know the rest of WI all that well, except the Interstate corridors. But, I hope WI gets at least 7 new superchargers in 2024 too!

Reactions: Cyberjr and DMC5180
a very popular travel corridor and very popular tourism areas, are essentially completely uncovered by charging infrastructure. Tesla desperately needs to add some chargers up north, including into the U.P. of MI.

I'm heading up to the UP in a week or so and will have a very hard time getting there with this cold weather and no CCS capability on my Y. A charger in Hayward or nearby would help with this sort of trip tremendously.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to vote for the charger in Hayward on Supercharger voting that would be great 😃

Reactions: Cyberjr
I'm heading up to the UP in a week or so and will have a very hard time getting there with this cold weather and no CCS capability on my Y. A charger in Hayward or nearby would help with this sort of trip tremendously.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to vote for the charger in Hayward on Supercharger voting that would be great 😃
Any Supercharger is better than no Supercharger. However, Hayward is a Destination area that would be better served with lots of L2 destination chargers. It’s 15-20 miles east of the US 53/63 crossroads between Spooner and Trego, which is where they need to have a Supercharger. You serve both travel corridors that way.

I’m curious about your Y not having CCS capability. I thought ALL Y’s came standard with the capability, you just need the Adapter. I did the DIY upgrade to my 2018 m3p.

Was your car one the was delivered during the chip shortage period?

Last edited:
I’m curious about your Y not having CCS capability. I thought ALL Y’s came standard with the capability, you just need the Adapter. I did the DIY upgrade to my 2018 m3p.
Summer 2021 Y’s came with an ECU that missed the CCS chip. Thankfully it’s as easy as just swapping out the ECU and you don’t need the “bundle of wires” like older 3’s.

Any Supercharger is better than no Supercharger. However, Hayward is a Destination area that would be better served with lots of L2 destination chargers. It’s 15-20 miles east of the US 53/63 crossroads between Spooner and Trego, which is where they need to have a Supercharger. You serve both travel corridors that way.

I spend a lot of time in Hayward so I'm probably biased, but if you zoom out on the Supercharger map and put your cursor between Minocqua and Hinckley, you end up over Hayward. Spooner/Trego seems a bit too close to Hinckley or North Branch for people in the Twin Cities trying to get east to the UP. People already in Wisconsin can use Minocqua to get to the northwoods, too.

I agree though: there needs to be a charger somewhere up there, and I'm willing to go dozens of miles in any direction from the center of the blank spot instead of going all the way up to Duluth or over to Wausau and backtracking.

Was your car one the was delivered during the chip shortage period?

Yep, September/October 2021 Model Y's don't have the right chip and they've been dragging their feet on the retrofit for over a year. When I asked about buying the new ECU (I don't need the bundle of wires) at the service center, the guy said they can tell if the part is manually replaced and are much less likely to work on high voltage stuff under warranty. So I continue waiting...

Reactions: starman27
I spend a lot of time in Hayward so I'm probably biased, but if you zoom out on the Supercharger map and put your cursor between Minocqua and Hinckley, you end up over Hayward. Spooner/Trego seems a bit too close to Hinckley or North Branch for people in the Twin Cities trying to get east to the UP. People already in Wisconsin can use Minocqua to get to the northwoods, too.

I agree though: there needs to be a charger somewhere up there, and I'm willing to go dozens of miles in any direction from the center of the blank spot instead of going all the way up to Duluth or over to Wausau and backtracking.

Yep, September/October 2021 Model Y's don't have the right chip and they've been dragging their feet on the retrofit for over a year. When I asked about buying the new ECU (I don't need the bundle of wires) at the service center, the guy said they can tell if the part is manually replaced and are much less likely to work on high voltage stuff under warranty. So I continue waiting...
Ignore the service center guy. Sometimes they like to be overly cautious. (some service centers won’t even sell the ECU alone)
Just buy the correct ECU. Install it following the correct directions. Then you will be good to go!
I did that with my 3. (And added the bundle of wires of course.) Not too difficult. Works perfectly. It is really nice to have the CCS charging ability, especially in supercharger dead zones.
You will need it for NACS charging in the future anyway.

Ignore the service center guy. Sometimes they like to be overly cautious. (some service centers won’t even sell the ECU alone)
Just buy the correct ECU. Install it following the correct directions. Then you will be good to go!
I did that with my 3. (And added the bundle of wires of course.) Not too difficult. Works perfectly. It is really nice to have the CCS charging ability, especially in supercharger dead zones.
You will need it for NACS charging in the future anyway.

Thanks for the nudge. I might do it since we have a drive up that direction coming this weekend.

For the record, here is what the service guy said "I can set it up for you to purchase that part, but I will tell you, that there is more to it than that single part. It would also require a change of the vehicle’s configurations with our internal system, and no Tesla service center would update the configuration for you on that. Also, if we note that you have performed unauthorized work on the HV system (of which the charging ECU is a part of), this would void the warranty on any components affected through the upgrade."