Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hong Kong are not for long distance travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To: Mr. Elon Musk

Owners of Tesla Model S in Hong Kong are selling their wall chargers and queue for the FREE of charge Superchargers!

Hong Kong would be a small paradise if all cars are electric.

But Chinese people are frugal even they buy a luxurious car like Model S.

Please do something to promote the installation of Wall Chargers!
If not, that would be disastrous for Hong Kong Tesla Model S owners when the Model 3 arrives!

Thanks in advance.

Alan Wong

Let's not blame it on the frugality of "Chinese people". This is more indication of the dozens of hoops that one has to jump through for wall charger installation. I identify myself as a Chinese but haven't sold my wall charger even though it can't be installed at my residence or near my office. If it's as easy as installing it in my Vancouver home's garage then I would've paid my own electric bill to charge my car; time is money to Chinese people and you can't pay me to wait an hour for a spot and then another 50mins to charge.

In this respect there's only so much Tesla HK can do to influence the gate keepers: HK gov, building management, etc.

Things will take time. Tesla and EVs in general only exploded in the last year and half. Let's not jump to conclusions with finger pointing and names.

As Titus says, most people can not charge at home at this stage, so most of the population of EV users in HK rely on charging away from the home or office, in the case of Tesla owners, we are fortunate to have SC access.

By the time the Model 3 arrives in HK, there should be some more charging options and solutions available to the masses by then.

Tesla now has some installation credit for referral buyers. A good step forward. Issue is with the icing of slow chargers and commercial usage of super chargers. Both detrimental to the push towards ev adoption. 1 in 12 new cars r Tesla's, good luck to us all. If you are a potential Tesla buyer, may this be a warning. Super chargers will soon be useless unless you don't mind lining up for 1 hour +.

Fyi I had to sell my charger at a steep discount as my landlord won't Even let me use the available 13a spots... let alone install Anything.

It is a compromise and discourage the adoption of EV imo.
currently, the problem of charging is purely political issue due to the mindset of avoiding change risks (not technical issue). So what tesla should do is trying to break this mindset instead of compromising it. The difficulty in charging would be a big push and demonstration to the government that, HK needs more charging infrastructure!

It's up to the "frugal" Chinese people to pressure the government to make changes that will benefit the people. One of these moves would be make it mandatory for an estate to install electric charging when a person demands it at a government approved cost.
Tesla is unlikely to install many more Superchargers and they could never install enough anyway. I think Elon made that clear when he was here.

It's up to the voice of the people now.

...queue for the FREE of charge Superchargers...

I am not sure it is unique in any particular geographic region of the world.

There have been multiple threads in tesla.com about pro-local vs anti-local Tesla Supercharging in the USA.

The topic got the attention of the news media and they not only covered the USA but also Europe.

My proposal is to build more Superchargers to relieve the waiting line.

I cannot give you an answer. However, we have to change our habit of refueling. In the era of ICE, we only tanked up when empty. For EV, just plug in whenever is possible and chargers are available. Don't wait for the last moment.

Reactions: 808?
hi angelitali,

the issue that you mentioned is discussed at length on this forum, i've listed a few of them here:

Meeting Tesla HK Bus Development Mgr on May 13.......
Meeting Tesla HK Bus Development Mgr on May 13.......

Superchargers in Hong Kong is not for long distance travel
Superchargers in Hong Kong is not for long distance travel

Jerk who interrupts others charging to get higher amps
Jerk who interrupts others charging to get higher amps

hopefully we'll come to a quick solution soon, at least for the temporary situation. And something for the long term future.

it is getting quite ridiculous now. Spending Sunday night trapped in a mall parking lot waiting for my turn. It has become more and more difficult to charge and the increase in the charging stations (or lack thereof) is not following the rate of increase of the cars. Tesla needs to install more chargers in Hong Kong.

Tesla owners also need to show better etiquette. Just had an argument with another Tesla owner in Lee Garden who was asking "where does it say we cannot park at the charging station for more than 3 hours!!" So thick-faced!

This other guy has not even returned yet. And I have been waiting here for more than an hour White Tesla number plate "SCG" - shame on you!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 112
In the old days, I always persuaded my friends to go for EV. The above situation did happen to my friends. Now, I re-phrase my recommendation - 'Go for EV if you have a proper charging solution'

I know Tesla users will get credits by referral but I don't want to upset my friends by simply advising them to go for EV without a caveat.

The charging situation becomes acute with the real success of Tesla sales. The problem is not only caused by ICE occupying the charging slots but also selfish EV users parking on charging slots without charging.