Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in National Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk about low-hanging fruit, yet I'm not aware of any Supercharger in any national park nationwide. Why?
DOI Secretary Sally Jewell would be all over this. With the air quality problems in many national parks, like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, Zion, Yellowstone and others, seems like NPS would really want to promote EV driving to parks. There's plenty of parking lot space for supercharger installation, what gives?

National Parks are destinations, not throughpoints. Destination chargers are perfect for them, in fact there are some ( such as at the hotel in Yosemite). There is no power for superchargers nor the need for such rapid charging.
Agreed. Because of the number of visitors and the length of stay (does anyone stay less than two hours, I'd imagine most stay for four hours or more), putting in a lot of destination chargers would make far more sense than putting in Superchargers.

just stayed at one of the hotels in Zion (Springdale) that offers Tesla chargers & it was fantastic, actually preferred over a Supercharger since its more convenient.

IMG_0884 (1).jpg IMG_0839.jpg

I tend to differ on the opinion of others. Most NP are far. You have to charge fully far away and then get to the park you barely have enough to get back. Superchargers are fast. In 10 mins I get 80 miles. That's enough to get you back out of the park without anxiety.

What about those who will be staying in the park? It's not always feasible to shuttle everywhere in the park especially during the off seasons where some parks dont run shuttles. I'm planning to go camping and hiking for a few days in Sequoia. Even with a long range RWD 3, it's going to be a challenge cause I have to charge in Fresno, drive in and then drive all over the park and Kings Canyon for a few days.

Destination Chargers work but you hog up a space for hours and there is something about charging at a hotel where you are not a guest. There are destination Chargers around my house but they are so dang slow it's not worth it. It's faster for me to hop 5 mins over to the supercharger by my house, charge for 10 mins and then be blasting around in the car. I just have to do it when it's not busy... Cause that supercharger is full from 11 am to 7 pm everyday.

Reactions: MarkoC and Bacalao