Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 is here, and our spreadsheet and tableau system is still hanging in there.

Any complaints, suggestions, or other comments? No guarantees other than we will listen. :)
I think that the spreadsheet and tableau have proved to be wonderfully helpful in planning trips to collect Supercharger Stations, especially in areas of the country where they are dense. I've found that the more I get the harder it is to keep track of which ones have already been visited and which ones I have yet to visit. The ability to use these tools to segregate out unvisited Supercharger Stations from the ones already collected is crucial. The personalized maps with interactive icons are especially helpful. Without these tools I think playing the game would be more trouble than it is worth.

So, no suggestions for improvements, just a thanks for keeping such useful tools up and running!

2022 is here, and our spreadsheet and tableau system is still hanging in there.

Any complaints, suggestions, or other comments? No guarantees other than we will listen. :)
I have no complaints, the spreadsheet and tableau are very useful. One visualization I’ve been thinking of is a chart showing my position on the leaderboard vs time. Something like this but with all the data, not just century milestones. This data is my position at 100, 200, 300 & 400 Supercharger counts. I don't have data to plot between century points. I'm currently at 23 and think I might have been as high as 12 - 15 at one time.
1642742018560.png

I have no complaints, the spreadsheet and tableau are very useful. One visualization I’ve been thinking of is a chart showing my position on the leaderboard vs time. Something like this but with all the data, not just century milestones. This data is my position at 100, 200, 300 & 400 Supercharger counts. I don't have data to plot between century points. I'm currently at 23 and think I might have been as high as 12 - 15 at one time. View attachment 758258
Hmmm. I know that would be possible with tableau but not sure of my ability to do it. I'll give it some thought.

Reactions: Big Earl
I have no complaints, the spreadsheet and tableau are very useful. One visualization I’ve been thinking of is a chart showing my position on the leaderboard vs time. Something like this but with all the data, not just century milestones. This data is my position at 100, 200, 300 & 400 Supercharger counts. I don't have data to plot between century points. I'm currently at 23 and think I might have been as high as 12 - 15 at one time. View attachment 758258
That is very interesting! A couple of observations.
1. Our data prior to the conversion from the wiki to the spreadsheet (November 2018) is not always accurate
2. If we calculate it from the data, your position on a particular date could change over time as new competitors are added

While I don't know an easy way of creating the visualization you are asking for, there is a way to create the leaderboard as of a particular date.

I modified a copy of the spreadsheet to compute the counts as of a specific date by simply changing to formulas that count visits (Calculations tab rows 3 through 8) to be "countif" instead of "count", and only count visits on or before a specific date (B1).

So changing B1 will recompute the leaderboard based on that date. After changing the date, and letting the spreadsheet recalculate, sort the "Leaderboard" tab by Superchargers Visited descending, then look at the "Leaders" tab.

This messes up lots of other things in the spreadsheet that I'm not going to fix, so don't worry about that, but the visit counts are correct.

Here is the google sheet that you can edit and play with - or make a copy if you want.

1642777058288.png

I created two new visualizations and resurected the horse race graph. I wasn't able to exactly replicate the graph AzEd envisioned but these are pretty neat. Let me know what you think. I haven't given up on the version AzEd shows above but it has eluded me so far (I can't seem to combine running total with the rank function).

The first allows you to see your total superchargers visited compared to the other competitors. By default, it is sorted on 2022 but you can click on the year of your choice and sort descending on that year to see how you were faring for overall supercharger visits. For example, the screenshot below is sorted by 2017. It puts blanks at the top so you have to scroll down. We see that Bighorn was first with 436 and PLUS EV was right behind him with 435. Hover over the bars to see the actual count. There are additional filters on the right and we can easily add other filters. Play with the visualization at this link.

1642837142002.png

The second visualization creates a ranking of competitors in terms of how many superchargers each visited that year. For this visualization, I can only rank within the year. I was not able to find a way to rank against the running total of superchargers visited. You can play with this second visualization at this link. This visualization is sorted by 2021 by default but again you can click on a year and sort. For this visualization, ascending is more intuitive than descending. Again, you have to scroll past the blank rows. I'll keep looking for ways to force the blanks to the bottom but haven't found a setting for that yet. On this visualization, when you hover over a cell, you will see the ranking, how many superchargers that competitor visited that year, and the running total of all superchargers they've visited. Here it is sorted by 2020. Big Earl was the number one hunter in 2020 with 507 superchargers visited in a single year (during the pandemic too).
1642837948177.png

1642837689053.png

I've also recreated the horse race visualization. The "Highlight TMC Handle" feature is very nice here because you can put your cursor in that field, type the first couple characters of the competitor's name, and then click the name. That will highlight that competitor's supercharging journey amongst all of the other jumble of lines. You can also choose which competitors to show by region or by competitor name. As always, hovering over a point on the line will provide some additional tooltips. This visualization can be found at this link. Here it is with AzEd's line highlighted using the "Highlight TMC Handle" tool.

1642839342783.png

I mentioned way back when that it would also be neat if we could see the popularity of the various locations that have been visited by us.

Which location has received the most visits? Which the fewest?
That's got to be qualified, like stations that have been open longer than 6 months, or 12 months, to accommodate newly-opened sites. Not a vote for or against the request, just a related observation.

Reactions: Darren S
I mentioned way back when that it would also be neat if we could see the popularity of the various locations that have been visited by us.

Which location has received the most visits? Which the fewest?
Done. Added a new dashboard....it even has a time function so you toggle through year-by-year. I default the map to 2013, which is the year this little competition began. Hovering over a location will show some data about that supercharger, including how many competitors have visited the location. Larger dots represent more visits. You can filter out low or high counts as you desire to help declutter the map a bit. When you click on a location, the list below the map will be filtered to show you who visited that location and when. As with many of the dashboards, the experience will be better on desktops than mobile but I have tried to configure the mobile layout to be useable. Give it a try. The dashboard name is "Most visited superchargers." Reminder that we only track our first visits so this doesn't capture the hundreds of times some of the core superchargers have been visited as we transit across the country.

The top screenshot is the map as it looks for 2013. The second screenshot shows how the list below is filtered when you select a supercharger on the map.

1642915144946.png

1642915026009.png

I love some of the features you can make with the interface, like that Supercharger Timeline.
What would really be cool is if you could include when you touched each of them as the Superchargers continue to populate. Not that I can help, I am a terrible programmer, but I could go for Pizza and Cokes!
I don't think it'd be particularly difficult but isn't that what the spreadsheet does for you already?