Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging “clunks”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge at home and don’t often go on long trips. When I do, and stop to supercharge, I hear and feel random clunks coming from under my car. Should I be concerned? Is it due to the battery expanding from the heat of charging? Or???
Its normal-ish. It is indeed the battery expanding with the heat of charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I charge at home and don’t often go on long trips. When I do, and stop to supercharge, I hear and feel random clunks coming from under my car. Should I be concerned? Is it due to the battery expanding from the heat of charging? Or???
It is not the cells themself but the battery casing increasing in size when warm. Aluminium expands a lot with themperature. The clunks can be heard during precondition when driving before the supercharging session and also after the session, when the battery cools down.

Completely normal.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 LR, get several loud clunks with supercharing and always have. Was told it's normal and have heard newer model 3's don't do this,
These are much louder then the relays or pump's etc. I would say its pretty close in sound to dropping a can of pop on the rear floor, sorta a bang wtf was that sort of sound

Reactions: AAKEE
Upvote 0
I have a 2018 LR, get several loud clunks with supercharing and always have. Was told it's normal and have heard newer model 3's don't do this,
These are much louder then the relays or pump's etc. I would say its pretty close in sound to dropping a can of pop on the rear floor, sorta a bang wtf was that sort of sound
My 2021 M3P do it.

Any tesla with a aluminium case around the batteries is prone to do it.

It would probably be possible to construct the covers with like a corrugated sheet part that allow the aluminium to expand/schrink without the ”pop” but it might introduce other issues.
Its a feature, not an issue ;)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0