Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharging Activation Sales Tax? (in WA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had SuperCharging activated for $2500 + sales tax here in Washington. Wouldn't this fall under:

Electric Vehicle (EV) Infrastructure and Battery Tax Exemptions

Public lands used for installing, maintaining, and operating EV infrastructure are exempt from leasehold excise taxes until January 1, 2020. Additionally, the state sales and use taxes do not apply to plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) batteries; labor and services for installing, repairing, altering, or improving PEV batteries and EV infrastructure; and the sale of property used for EV infrastructure.

Tesla seems to think "no" as far as they've told me - they say tax exemption can only occur if the feature was added with the original purchase. I would assume that this might fall under "service" but since it's not exactly directly related to servicing the battery, maybe no?

It would be appropriate to press this further. The legislative language; "..installing,repairing,altering or improving PEV batteries..." seems clearly to include software updates to allow access to improved charging. How would Tesla interpret "improving" if it can only occur at new car purchase?

- - - Updated - - -

Tacket; I have made an inquiry to the Washington Department of Revenue about this. Will post reply if I get one. Jack

I did not pay any sales tax on the Roadster adapter, but I did have to pay on the installation of a twin charger after delivery. Like Jack, I requested a formal ruling from the DOR, but it came back negative. They said that the charger in the car is not "EV infrastructure."

I predict that in this case they will say that enabling supercharging does not alter or improve the battery, just as adding a twin charger does not alter or improve the battery. Remember that the ​raison d'être of the DOR is to collect money.[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Got a relatively quick response from Tesla -- turns out adding Supercharger access does qualify for tax exemption. I am to fill out a form and will be refunded the difference. Their note:

"I have done some more research and did find out that the supercharging will be tax exempt. Can you please fill out the attached form and return it to me. We will need this for tax purposes. I apologize for the wrong information yesterday, and I will make sure our Washington service centers are aware of the correct information."

Got a relatively quick response from Tesla -- turns out adding Supercharger access does qualify for tax exemption. I am to fill out a form and will be refunded the difference. Their note:

"I have done some more research and did find out that the supercharging will be tax exempt. Can you please fill out the attached form and return it to me. We will need this for tax purposes. I apologize for the wrong information yesterday, and I will make sure our Washington service centers are aware of the correct information."
Tacket, can you say who at Tesla sent you this note? Was it someone in the Seattle SC? Thanks.