Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging disabled. Message says there is no payment method although my cc statement shows the charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 SR, bought on Dec 14th, 2023. There was an end of quarter sale that included six month of free supercharging, which so far has been working flawlessly.

Today, one day before it was supposed to expire, I pulled up at a supercharger and noticed quickly that this was not a free supercharging session anymore. So I unplugged the car and drove home. Maybe when they said six months, they meant 180 days?

The car is now showing a message that supercharging has been disabled and that I need to add a payment method. Not only have I done that right after I bought the car, the payment method on file is still valid and on top of that, I can see in my banking app that I have been charged for this charging session. Yet, Tesla still thinks that I owe them money.

I opened a ticket hoping to get this resolved. It's not much of an issue since the only reason I went to the supercharger was that I believed it would be another free session. I can just charge at home, but I would still like to be able to supercharge if necessary.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Model 3 SR, bought on Dec 14th, 2023. There was an end of quarter sale that included six month of free supercharging, which so far has been working flawlessly.

Today, one day before it was supposed to expire, I pulled up at a supercharger and noticed quickly that this was not a free supercharging session anymore. So I unplugged the car and drove home. Maybe when they said six months, they meant 180 days?

The car is now showing a message that supercharging has been disabled and that I need to add a payment method. Not only have I done that right after I bought the car, the payment method on file is still valid and on top of that, I can see in my banking app that I have been charged for this charging session. Yet, Tesla still thinks that I owe them money.

I opened a ticket hoping to get this resolved. It's not much of an issue since the only reason I went to the supercharger was that I believed it would be another free session. I can just charge at home, but I would still like to be able to supercharge if necessary.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Not the same as you, but I had something similar. I bought my 2018 M3 and everything worked OK.
Last year I lost my credit card (dropped it while on a long vacation). So I went online and canceled the card.
I didn't think at the time that it was my card on file at Tesla. For a few days I was charging free at hotels then I charged 4 or 5 times, no problem.
Then it occured to me that why was my card working (Turns out the cc company allows recurring or repeats of previous merchants)
Not knowing this I went to my Tesla account and deleted the lost card and added a new one.
My next Supercharger session worked OK, but when I unplugged it said no more Supercharging until you have entered a new payment method!

Very odd ... and I was 800 miles from home. It turns out that there are multiple steps to enable the new card that I did not have to do ~5 years before and a call to Tesla walked me through this while I was driving home (passenger helping). I had added the card on a PC on the web site, but needed to also set it as the default in the phone app as well.
Note that they did multiple security checks on me because the situation may have looked like I was stealing the car.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
Not the same as you, but I had something similar. I bought my 2018 M3 and everything worked OK.
Last year I lost my credit card (dropped it while on a long vacation). So I went online and canceled the card.
I didn't think at the time that it was my card on file at Tesla. For a few days I was charging free at hotels then I charged 4 or 5 times, no problem.
Then it occured to me that why was my card working (Turns out the cc company allows recurring or repeats of previous merchants)
Not knowing this I went to my Tesla account and deleted the lost card and added a new one.
My next Supercharger session worked OK, but when I unplugged it said no more Supercharging until you have entered a new payment method!

Very odd ... and I was 800 miles from home. It turns out that there are multiple steps to enable the new card that I did not have to do ~5 years before and a call to Tesla walked me through this while I was driving home (passenger helping). I had added the card on a PC on the web site, but needed to also set it as the default in the phone app as well.
Note that they did multiple security checks on me because the situation may have looked like I was stealing the car.

Mike

Yes, changing CC info a giant PITA and not reliable. I would call Tesla support, and in fact had to when I changed CC’s. It certainly looks intuitive to do within the app, but tesla has this all F’d up. I would NOT delete and re-add CC. Call support

• Informative
Yes, changing CC info a giant PITA and not reliable. I would call Tesla support, and in fact had to when I changed CC’s. It certainly looks intuitive to do within the app, but tesla has this all F’d up. I would NOT delete and re-add CC. Call support
I had to change my payment method last year and had no trouble doing it using the app. I would try that before calling anyone and providing a credit card number over the phone. If you use iOS you can use Apple Pay as your payment method. You manage payment methods in the Wallet section of your profile.

• Informative
I had to change my payment method last year and had no trouble doing it using the app. I would try that before calling anyone and providing a credit card number over the phone. If you use iOS you can use Apple Pay as your payment method. You manage payment methods in the Wallet section of your profile.
No iOS here. I called Tesla earlier as directed by the person responding to my ticket. They told me that this is a problem that they frequently see with Canadian customers.
The solution seems to be to remove the home address from the app and re-enter it. If that doesn't help, I'll just remove the current payment method and re-enter it. At least I was told that despite the message on the screen, there is no outstanding balance.
Thamks everyone who chimed in, I appreciate your help.