Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging every 7-10 days as primary charging method: throttled after 1.5 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I have had my Model 3 LR AWD since October 2018. I live in an urban area without access to home charging. I drive about 700-800 miles a month and recharge to 80 percent at one of a few nearby superchargers (usually with about 20-30% range left) every 7-10 days. I occasionally charge at a regular wall outlet when possible (5 mph). The past few times I used a supercharger, I saw lower charger speeds - about 300 mph as opposed to 500 mph I was used to seeing at the same supercharger under similar conditions (similar temp, no other cars charging on the same split, etc.0. know they can void the warranty if they seem me charging from zero to 100 percent on superchargers regularly, but I haven't done that - it's really just been a matter of topping off when it was convenient.

Is it possible that Tesla has limited my ability to supercharge at full speed because I've supercharged too frequently? I know they put out a bulletin on that in 2017, but I really didn't think that 40-50 supercharger sessions would be the limit. My car is only 1.5 years old and that seems crazy. If so, this is a very real issue for me and other people who own the cars in urban locations or are on the road regularly.

I wonder if I'm limited. my car, at the mountain view (near google) SCs never get close to what you are seeing. at best, I get 150mph (I forget the kw value).

I did SC a lot when I first got the car and did charge to 90% most times. hoping I'm not also throttled. how can you tell, if you are not setup with a data poller (the online ones, etc) ? will the service center release that info to you, as an owner, just by asking? don't want to waste an appt if I don't have to.

Hi - I have had my Model 3 LR AWD since October 2018. I live in an urban area without access to home charging. I drive about 700-800 miles a month and recharge to 80 percent at one of a few nearby superchargers (usually with about 20-30% range left) every 7-10 days. I occasionally charge at a regular wall outlet when possible (5 mph). The past few times I used a supercharger, I saw lower charger speeds - about 300 mph as opposed to 500 mph I was used to seeing at the same supercharger under similar conditions (similar temp, no other cars charging on the same split, etc.0. know they can void the warranty if they seem me charging from zero to 100 percent on superchargers regularly, but I haven't done that - it's really just been a matter of topping off when it was convenient.

Is it possible that Tesla has limited my ability to supercharge at full speed because I've supercharged too frequently? I know they put out a bulletin on that in 2017, but I really didn't think that 40-50 supercharger sessions would be the limit. My car is only 1.5 years old and that seems crazy. If so, this is a very real issue for me and other people who own the cars in urban locations or are on the road regularly.

You are jumping to conclusions for which there is no basis or evidence.

Don’t report charging speed in MPH. Tell us what the power is in kilowatts.

There are a dozen different reasons why a charging session might be slower. Tesla throttling your Model 3 based on the habits you describe isn’t on the list.

I wonder if I'm limited. my car, at the mountain view (near google) SCs never get close to what you are seeing. at best, I get 150mph (I forget the kw value).

I did SC a lot when I first got the car and did charge to 90% most times. hoping I'm not also throttled. how can you tell, if you are not setup with a data poller (the online ones, etc) ? will the service center release that info to you, as an owner, just by asking? don't want to waste an appt if I don't have to.
The Mountain View Superchargers have issues, don’t read too much into it. Supercharger - Mountain View

• Informative
Reactions: linux-works
The Mountain View Superchargers have issues, don’t read too much into it. Supercharger - Mountain View

aha! I did not know that! silly me, to assume that one of the most visible and popular charger spots would be an embarrassment. always thought my car had some problem!

I think its the only SC I ever tried, being pretty easy to get to and close to home.

now I'm going to try some other location - I never saw high charge speeds on my car - never. guess I never even knew what I was missing, thinking that the shoreline spot was not the issue.

thanks for the info.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

i would assume either the battery is colder or the charger isn't at full health. I've not heard of any model 3 being throttled for supercharging.

Dear All,

I do not know if this is the write place to discuss my problem, but I have in may case the prove that Tesla has throttled my speed at the supercharger.
I am located in Germany and I have a Model X 100D from September 2018. My use case is manly driving in Highway 90% so I am force to supercharging 90% of the time. After 2 years and 70.000 km I have seen my charging speed to drop dramatically of 35% from one day to another one. Up to End of August, connecting my car at the SuC with 20% of battery I was getting 145 kwp since 40% and after it was going down. From September on, I am limited to 105 kwp (even if I go to the SuC V3) and I spend now 20 minute more than before to charge from 20% to 90% at the SuC.
I have contacted Tesla in Frankfurt and I brought the car to the service and the answer was: "Your battery has reached the limit of DC charging and now is limited to max 105kwp at the DC SuC to protect the battery pack"

I was shocked really, because at the time I bought the car I was not informed about this potential limitation.

Could anybody let me know if what was told to me, it is really true?

Anybody has the same issue?

Best Regards
Stefano