Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in Canada Too Expensive?

Is Supercharging Too Expensive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Well, you happen to drive a lot more than the average. An average driver would put 20k in a year right?
So if you consider the price of a M3 compare to a sedan, let's say a corolla which will be around 25k...it will take around 9 years to compensate for the price of the M3.
Of course the M3 is more fun to drive, but money wise...
And yes, less maintenance but what about your battery after 9 years? Mine is showing 15% degradation after 3 years and I don't drive a lot.
If I have to change it after 8 years, I will lose the maintenance benefit.
So again, I like my car but this purchase was not a rational purchase.
No equivalent sedan is 25K. More like 40-45K. You won't a battery in 9 years. Also after 9 years any car will have a very low value compared to new.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
No equivalent sedan is 25K. More like 40-45K. You won't a battery in 9 years. Also after 9 years any car will have a very low value compared to new.
I hope you're right for the battery. But no M3 have gone beyond 8 years yet, so nobody knows. As for an equivalent sedan in term of size, not talking about the fun of driving etc...I don't know why a Corolla is nor equivalent.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
.it will take around 9 years to compensate for the price of the M3.
I believe it's a lot less than that - I think it's more along the line of 4 or 5 years. Yes, maintenance is a big part of those costs, just the regular fluid changes and brake pad replacements (unless you do those things yourself at minimal cost). Here's an article looking at the costs in various scenarios of gas and electricity prices: Toyota Corolla vs. Tesla Model 3 — Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years

Yes, but for those of us who do longer road trips frequently, Supercharging is expensive. Less expensive than gas these days, still, but far more than it used to be.
In Ontario the cost of using a supercharger is more expensive than gas. My partner drives a round trip of 600 Km every week. It costs $80 CAD to supercharge each way and adds an extra 45 mins each way to his drive time. I can see owning a Tesla is great if you just do short trips and can charge at home, but for long distance it is expensive both in terms of time and cost.

In Ontario the cost of using a supercharger is more expensive than gas. My partner drives a round trip of 600 Km every week. It costs $80 CAD to supercharge each way and adds an extra 45 mins each way to his drive time. I can see owning a Tesla is great if you just do short trips and can charge at home, but for long distance it is expensive both in terms of time and cost.
It’s all about being able to charge at home.

Supercharging as the primary charging method isn’t the best for a few reasons.

I charged at home in February, a total of 3,000km and it cost me $70

It is hard to comment on the situation you describe without more information. It does sound like home charging is not available in your case. We have a 2018 Model 3 and lifetime average consumption is about 6 km/kWh or say 100 kWh to travel your 600 km. Here in BC paying about $0.15/kWh at home (roughly $15 to travel 600 km with home charging). Tesla phone app shows rate of $0.40/kWh average for Supercharging (roughly $40 to travel 600 km with Supercharging). Costs will be higher in cold weather and also vary depending on other factors like speed.

My partner drives a round trip of 600 Km every week. It costs $80 CAD to supercharge each way
Really? It must be uphill both ways. In my car (2021 MYLR), I can go half that distance with a full battery from home (cost $6.50), and a filling the battery at a Supercharger to get me back would be $37.00 - that's based on my average price per kWh at a Supercharger of $0.48. Total of $43.50, not $120.00. Even if you don't have home charging available and you only use Superchargers, it would still be about $37 each way, totalling $74.00 - still not $120.

As for time? Yeah, it does cost most time, but - if you're like most people - you'll spend at least an hour on emails and social media anyway, so there's no reason you can't answer emails and read Twitter while your car is charging.

• Funny
The CCS1 adapter gives many Tesla owners access to other DCFC networks... We've been at our SE AZ winter home for 4 months, and have DCFCed about a dozen times on road trips, and we've yet to use a Tesla SC... We did use the Tesla SC network on our trip down, for about 2/3s of our DCFCing needs, but not since.

• Disagree