Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rate? How do I read this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just got my long range dual motor a few days ago. i trickle charge at home between 12am-8am because super off peak rates. it says 5 miles per hour. i don't go back to work until next week when using a different means of charging will become necessary.

i supercharged at a nearby location and i'm trying to figure out how the rates work. i believe the chargers are 72kW. before i unplugged, it added 148 miles at a cost of $12.09. i looked it up and there's tier 1 and tier 2 rates. i was alone in the stall so this is tier 2 rate? if i remember correctly, it was 35cents per kW. is this about right? $12 to add 148 miles? i thought it would be around $5 to do a near fill up. it's still less than filling up my prius with gas but i thought there would be a greater difference. am i reading it wrong?

i have an electrician coming saturday to install the wall charger. i think the numbers i'm looking for/expecting will be there and not at the superchargers. my super off peak rates at home are $0.0526/kWh (delivery) and $0.0643/kWh (generation) - which i'm confused with as well. do i pay for both? essentially $0.12 per kWh?

i'm also supposed to have 1000 mile free supercharging yet i showed the $12.09 price. it hasn't deducted from my 1000 miles either. is this not immediate?

IMG_2586.JPG

Last edited:
At Superchargers, you pay the rate that you are currently consuming. Generally you start at the high rate and then at the slower rate. So it's a percentage of each.
You can see the details on your account on the website.

At home, you pay the rate for the time period that you are currently in. So, if you charge in the off-peak hours, it will be much cheaper.

You paid $12 for 150 miles. With a car that gets 30 miles per gallon, you'd need 5 gallons. If gas cost about $2.40 then you would break even. While my gas is a little cheaper right now, I suspect that yours is higher

• Informative
Reactions: w1n78
At Superchargers, you pay the rate that you are currently consuming. Generally you start at the high rate and then at the slower rate. So it's a percentage of each.
You can see the details on your account on the website.

At home, you pay the rate for the time period that you are currently in. So, if you charge in the off-peak hours, it will be much cheaper.

You paid $12 for 150 miles. With a car that gets 30 miles per gallon, you'd need 5 gallons. If gas cost about $2.40 then you would break even. While my gas is a little cheaper right now, I suspect that yours is higher

I don’t believe anywhere in California charges the time-based rates. It’s all generally per kWh, regardless of how fast you’re charging.

so yes, $12 at $0.35/kWh sounds about right for the energy you added.

interesting. so at those rates, it would be cheaper to fill up my 2016 prius (that i traded in for the model 3). it got about 50 mpg. at $3.45 per gallon, to get about 150 miles would be $10.35. hmm, hopefully, charging at home will be better. i may have made a big mistake in terms of cost savings using superchargers versus filling up at the gas pump.

thank you both for shedding some light

Tesla does not make money on Superchargers, but charges a rate that pays for expenses. Currently in the US, they charge $0.28 per kW. Take your kW per mile figure for your specific model/options and do the kW to mile conversion for yourself. Home charging should be MUCH cheaper. Superchargers are for when you're road tripping and can't charge at home. They're still significantly cheaper than gasoline.

Don't compare Prius vs Tesla. Your Prius was a tin can; your Tesla is a luxury car, so compare costs against filling up a Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercedes...

Your Prius was a tin can; your Tesla is a luxury car, so compare costs against filling up a Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercedes...

that's a good way of putting it. i had an acura tl once then got a prius. chose practicality and efficiency. but i frequently had to do maintenance. my daily commute is over 100 miles a day.

so superchargers won't be economical in my case. i really need to get that wall charger installed, hope the electrician won't reschedule.

still waiting for that 1000 mile referral to kick in. should give me a week or 2 of free charging if he reschedules.

The money you saved for “fuel” is really from the rates charged at home. I’m getting 0.13/kwh so way less than the superchargers rates. Plus you don’t need to sit in your car for $30 mins 1-2x a week. That would get old fast. I did that the first week when I didn’t have the nema 14-50 installed and it was neat at first but I would hate it if it’s a regular thing. Not sure how people tolerate that unless I had a supercharger next to my gym.

edit: I do LOVE supercharging on the road trips because I love road trips and walking around and eating unhealthy foods lol. Supercharging is great for that.

Reactions: w1n78
Cheaper to drive my 55 mpg Prius than the Tesla on supercharger trips, but why would I drive a Prius when I can be driven in a Tesla? Our home rate is $0.086/kwh so supercharger is a big jump in price. Filling the Tesla with our 10kw solar panels will eventually be even cheaper when they are paid off. Supercharger rates have radically and with no warning changed. I think the local Washington one went from $0.11/kwh to $0.31 then settled at $0.28 typical for the nation except we have cheaper power than most of the country. I think the local Blink is $0.49/kwh.

i dont think in distance because it depends on the efficiency of your driving

local superchargers here charge ballpark $0.18 per kWh, so to completely fill a 75kWh battery would be $13. obviously lower in practice as you aren't going 0-100%

home electricity in most jurisdiction has 2 components of cost - transmission or infrastructure/fee (what you call "delivery"), and the actual electricity fee itself. mine is combined $0.06 or so, so less than 5 bucks to charge the car at home :)

I'm afraid that Tesla didn't recognize the referral code with your order. Did you order with a referral code in the URL or try to add after the fact? You shouldn't have paid for your 1st supercharger session.

Can you add a referral code after the fact? I have ordered/paid for my car (via non-referral link), but would like to use a friend's referral today, before I pick up on 12/29. Any way to do this?

I'm afraid that Tesla didn't recognize the referral code with your order. Did you order with a referral code in the URL or try to add after the fact? You shouldn't have paid for your 1st supercharger session.

i went earlier to charge again. this time in the app, the chestbox section it deducted today's super charge. i guess they didn't charge me for the supercharge yesterday :)

Can you add a referral code after the fact? I have ordered/paid for my car (via non-referral link), but would like to use a friend's referral today, before I pick up on 12/29. Any way to do this?

it might be a good idea to get a hold of someone from corporate office to see if it can be added before delivery. or if you can get a hold of someone from the delivery team at your dealership, they may provide an answer.

• Informative
Reactions: turns2stone
In parts where there are close superchargers nearby I have comparison shopped. Sometimes there’s one where it’s 0.31 in the center and 0.28 off the center. I have done to the 0.28 superchargers lol. You can click the supercharger icons and look at the rate.

In parts where there are close superchargers nearby I have comparison shopped. Sometimes there’s one where it’s 0.31 in the center and 0.28 off the center. I have done to the 0.28 superchargers lol. You can click the supercharger icons and look at the rate.

i've wondered if the rates are based on the location or how busy it is. the cheapest in my area is one of the cal state universities at 0.28/kWh. most are 0.31/kWh

I did exactly that. I show up on my friend's account, so it seems it went through, but it has yet to show my supercharging as free.

Yeah, I called in and added my friend's referral before I picked up the car. I need to ask if it's showed up on his, it hasn't showed up on mine. I sent an email request yesterday. I'll give them a few days to respond. The 6 month limit is kinda weak. I take maybe 3-4 road trips a year (<300 mi), so there's no way I'll use 1000 Supercharger miles in that timespan.

Yeah, I called in and added my friend's referral before I picked up the car. I need to ask if it's showed up on his, it hasn't showed up on mine. I sent an email request yesterday. I'll give them a few days to respond. The 6 month limit is kinda weak. I take maybe 3-4 road trips a year (<300 mi), so there's no way I'll use 1000 Supercharger miles in that timespan.

it took about 4 days to show up. in the mean time, i did a super charge that cost $12. i didn't get charged for it nor did it deduct from my 1000 miles. as soon as it showed up in my account the super charge sessions started deducting from my 1000 miles. i got an electrician to install the tesla wall charger and haven't visited a super charger since. more convenient and lower rate for me. i drive over 100 miles daily. i may go back to super charging so it won't get wasted but it seems inconvenient now that i can charge at home haha.