Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, but we are at least two.
I looked up my Supercharger use since 6/2018 and found that ~ 1/10 of my miles are charged away from home. So 90% of my future miles are at 2.5 cents a mile from home and 1/10 are at 4.5 cents a mile. The weighted average works out to 2.7 cents a mile.

I'll live.

Now 3.

I tried using one of these. I would have had to leave the car there all day just to get a few miles. Now I don't consider using them.

There's free charging in the parking garage at Vail. It's super slow.

Peace and love,

I wouldn't have bought Model 3 if everything is about cost. It's about making a statement and believe in the idea that we need to move away from fossil fuel to a sustainable energy society to avoid climate change disaster
Thank you!!!

Reading these comments was bumming me out. Most are complaining about cost, it's all about cost. I want to look at other Tesla owners and see a person who's concerned about the next 7 Generations.

Peace and love,

Here's how my family and I view this.

We primarily charge at home which is more convenient and cheaper than filling at gas stations. When we do occasional long distance trips, we want to have an abundance of superchargers so we can travel freely, but happy to pay for electricity on par with gasoline. In the big picture, the $ spent for charging while on trips, even at the new higher price, is not a big chunk of our travel costs. Hotel, food, entertainment, etc. cost way more. For us, the convenience of having double the number of current SC locations would be far more attractive than paying half the cost of gasoline to charge.

But we live in the burbs. Urban apartment dwellers with no home charging infrastructure would probably have a hard time justifying a Tesla purchase based on fuel costs. Tesla would have to address that somehow if they want that market.

The rate here has almost tripled for $0.11 to $0.31. I wonder if Tesla has an agreement to allow another manufacturer (Mercedes?) to use the network to get a quick shot of $ and a long term revenue stream? So they are setting rates just below Blink etc.

Great, the Tesla is cheaper to drive than a 24mpg gas guzzler . Again, you are giving automakers the case to not buy a tesla. Replace Mazda 6 with something like the Honda Accord Hybrid Performance.

No you are not getting it, the supercharger network is only used when you are traveling outside of your normal home round trip range. So for most people it's less than 5% of all charging. The vast majority of energy use will be from your home electrical service which is way cheaper. Stop conflating supercharging with operating costs. It was never meant to replace a gas pump, that's what your home plug is for.

I have off peak service which is $0.04 per KWH, plus other fees it ends up around $0.06 per KWH filling up my Model 3 takes about 75KWh and gives 310 mile range. So that's $4.5 to fill up or 1.4 cents per mile in energy costs.

Here's a more efficient example: My Prius, which is slow as a dog and not fun to drive at all gets about 45 MPG and with $2.00 gasoline that equates to $0.044 per mile so the Model 3 is 3x cheaper per mile than my Prius even at $2.00 gasoline.

At the end of the day, any Tesla is way more fun to drive than an econobox and still more efficient. I also don't get why people who are buying 40-50k cars are getting so flustered about a change that will cost a few dozen dollars more on large road trips. If you wanted a car that's cheap to operate you should have bought a fully depreciated Prius or Nissan Leaf. Your Model 3 is burning way more money in depreciation for each mile than it is in energy cost.

Was driving today and looked at map in car
$0.29-0.31/kWh for the Superchargers I use in Brooklyn/Queens

Also while on the topic of Supercharging costs and Tesla charging enough to cover their costs....
Anyone else had a large number of uncharged Supercharges?
I'm finding 20-30% of the time I never get charged when I use an Urban Supercharger.
Doesn't show up in my Tesla account history, nor on the Amex transaction history for the card I have linked..

anyone know what the rate for NY State is?

so...

for many, many years I have decried the ChargePoint rates of $0.39/kWh.. back in 2015( when I last checked) I paid roughly $0.17/kWh at home (due to the magic of net metering.. I don't actually get an electric bill, the electricity is paid by my building and then collected from me in the form of monthly maintenance.. which has not gone up since 2015...)

I have often said that while $0.49/kWh was highway robbery, I would gladly pay "double" what I pay at home --$0.17/kWh x 2 or $0.34/kWh...

but now that Tesla has nearly called my bluff, i'm starting to feel a little uneasy.

when Tesla 1st introduced paid SCing, the NY State rate was $0.19/kWh... the slightest, most negligible, premium over charging at home.

this was good. no reason to use a SCer when it would cost you more than charging at home.. then they increased the NY State rate to $0.24/kWh -- still much cheaper than gas. and still half the cost of the crazy ChargePoint rates. still decent.

but we are climbing.. (assuming the NY state rate is $0.31/kWh..) and who knows how high it will go.

my current Model S has free unlimited supercharging for life. so SCer pricing currently does not effect me...

but.. my car is showing signs of aging... also, with the proliferation of urban SCers in the NYC area, it is easier for me to just supercharge for an hour than to leave the car at a destination charger overnight. so since June 2018 I have charged exclusively at SCers...

there is a rumor that SCers and destination chargers will be both installed at the garage near my office where I park 5x a week. I have been lobbying said garage for level 2 chargers since I got my Chevy Volt in June 2012... i'm still hoping. in this case I will probably stop using SCers for anything but road trips or the occasional Sunday drive. the destination chargers at my work garage will suffice.. even for just 2-3 times a week of level 2 charging, given my driving habits... assuming of course this location actually get SCers.. or destination chargers.

I feel bad for those living in low-cost-of-electricity states.. b/c yes for these people, gas cars have now become cheaper for road trips.

add to that the time needed to SC during a road trip and it becomes a lose-lose proposition...

Thank you!!!

Reading these comments was bumming me out. Most are complaining about cost, it's all about cost. I want to look at other Tesla owners and see a person who's concerned about the next 7 Generations.

Peace and love,

It shouldn’t bum you at all. The focus on cost optimization is what’s going to ensure that those coming generations are going to have it a lot better than the previous ones.

Cost optimization is ultimately reached through good stewardship of resources and the resulting prosperity is the only thing that can lead to better stewardship of everything else around us.

No you are not getting it, the supercharger network is only used when you are traveling outside of your normal home round trip range. So for most people it's less than 5% of all charging. The vast majority of energy use will be from your home electrical service which is way cheaper. Stop conflating supercharging with operating costs. It was never meant to replace a gas pump, that's what your home plug is for.

I have off peak service which is $0.04 per KWH, plus other fees it ends up around $0.06 per KWH filling up my Model 3 takes about 75KWh and gives 310 mile range. So that's $4.5 to fill up or 1.4 cents per mile in energy costs.

Here's a more efficient example: My Prius, which is slow as a dog and not fun to drive at all gets about 45 MPG and with $2.00 gasoline that equates to $0.044 per mile so the Model 3 is 3x cheaper per mile than my Prius even at $2.00 gasoline.

At the end of the day, any Tesla is way more fun to drive than an econobox and still more efficient. I also don't get why people who are buying 40-50k cars are getting so flustered about a change that will cost a few dozen dollars more on large road trips. If you wanted a car that's cheap to operate you should have bought a fully depreciated Prius or Nissan Leaf. Your Model 3 is burning way more money in depreciation for each mile than it is in energy cost.

Clearly you don't live in the Bay Area where many have no garage and PGE rates are insane for home charging. Your off peak rate is a pipe dream here, My off peak is $.27 and in the summer peak is $.45 or more. This is before our next BK rate hike.

I never ever used or considered using any if those. My car has enough range for my around-town needs and Level 2 chargers are nowhere near fast enough to enable any reasonable travel. In any circumstance, I couldn’t afford to trade half a day for $10 worth of electricity, so all those chargers are of no interest to me.

I wonder how mainstream or fringe my opinion is.
I used 2 free charging stations on my two recent road trips, and they all located in the hotels I stay. I just wish there are more hotels have EV charging station.

Reactions: KJD
I have to disagree that Superchargers are to ONLY to eliminate range anxiety.

Tesla is increasing the price of supercharging to do what? To help pay for more superchargers.

Do you have a source of them saying that's the specific reason for it?

Because one major reason I can think of to do it would be to discourage people using them as "daily" chargers rather than only for road trips as mainly intended.

Tesla has sold over 500K cars. Lets say that every day each car uses supercharges $1 worth of electricity - long distance or local.

Why would we say that?

Again, the intent of the SC network is to enable roadtrips. Most folks are expected to charge at home.

So most of those 500k cars would be using $0.00 of SC power each day locally.

Tesla is selling supercharging energy....and they don't want certain clientele to use it? I highly doubt it at this point.

Given all the people who complain about having to wait in line to use one in CA- which is by far their largest market, not sure why you'd doubt one of the upsides to bumping the price is discouraging the ton of new owners without FUSC from using SCs to top off all the time instead of charging at home.

At the moment, “introductory rate” sounds a lot less slimy than “supercharging will be free forever”.

Can you cite were Tesla said it'd be free forever (especially to all future buyers of all models?)

Reactions: KJD and PhaseWhite
So for most people it's less than 5% of all charging. The vast majority of energy use will be from your home electrical service which is way cheaper.

You clearly don’t live in California. Electricity rates are absured here. With the jacked up price in supercharging it equals to a 30mpg car. It’s no longer useful as a road trip car. Too expensive and inconvenient.

Guess this is my first and last Tesla. Everything they have done since I got the car I dislike.

You clearly don’t live in California. Electricity rates are absured here. With the jacked up price in supercharging it equals to a 30mpg car. It’s no longer useful as a road trip car. Too expensive and inconvenient.

Guess this is my first and last Tesla. Everything they have done since I got the car I dislike.

Wait...you have had your car since June.... and you haven't liked ANY of the updates?