Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just what I had predicted. I knew Tesla would increase the rate. Pretty obvious with Elon's tweet how FUSC is worth and with the flood of Model 3.

Don't be surprised if there is another increase this year.

I will keep the FUSC for now and do many road trips, and maybe after couple years, if Tesla allows me, I may consider getting the $5,000 refund from Tesla.

Just what I had predicted. I knew they would increase the rate.

Don't be surprised if there is another increase this year.

I will keep the FUSC for now and do many road trips, and maybe after couple years, if Tesla allows me, I may consider getting the $5,000 refund from Tesla.

Hah. Request the $5,000 the day before you sell it, after years of FUSC.

So far Tesla had not give us the timeline to when is due, so in theory, it should be okay. I really think Tesla doesn't care about it since there are few of us who have Model 3 and FUSC - espcecially with recent surge of 5K refund.

I was obviously kidding, but Tesla holding the $5,000 for a few extra years is probably beneficial to them. Why wouldn't they let you extend your "interest free loan" years later?

EDIT: Then, to justify it, you need to estimate the value of investing that cash. At 7% less capital gains, you'd need to do ~$300/year in Supercharging. A savings account with a guaranteed return (~2.2%) would need only $95/year in Supercharging.

You now have to look at each site on your car screen. In the LA area prices range from $.30 to $.36 I think.

anyone know what the rate for NY State is?

so...

for many, many years I have decried the ChargePoint rates of $0.39/kWh.. back in 2015( when I last checked) I paid roughly $0.17/kWh at home (due to the magic of net metering.. I don't actually get an electric bill, the electricity is paid by my building and then collected from me in the form of monthly maintenance.. which has not gone up since 2015...)

I have often said that while $0.49/kWh was highway robbery, I would gladly pay "double" what I pay at home --$0.17/kWh x 2 or $0.34/kWh...

but now that Tesla has nearly called my bluff, i'm starting to feel a little uneasy.

when Tesla 1st introduced paid SCing, the NY State rate was $0.19/kWh... the slightest, most negligible, premium over charging at home.

this was good. no reason to use a SCer when it would cost you more than charging at home.. then they increased the NY State rate to $0.24/kWh -- still much cheaper than gas. and still half the cost of the crazy ChargePoint rates. still decent.

but we are climbing.. (assuming the NY state rate is $0.31/kWh..) and who knows how high it will go.

my current Model S has free unlimited supercharging for life. so SCer pricing currently does not effect me...

but.. my car is showing signs of aging... also, with the proliferation of urban SCers in the NYC area, it is easier for me to just supercharge for an hour than to leave the car at a destination charger overnight. so since June 2018 I have charged exclusively at SCers...

there is a rumor that SCers and destination chargers will be both installed at the garage near my office where I park 5x a week. I have been lobbying said garage for level 2 chargers since I got my Chevy Volt in June 2012... i'm still hoping. in this case I will probably stop using SCers for anything but road trips or the occasional Sunday drive. the destination chargers at my work garage will suffice.. even for just 2-3 times a week of level 2 charging, given my driving habits... assuming of course this location actually get SCers.. or destination chargers.

I feel bad for those living in low-cost-of-electricity states.. b/c yes for these people, gas cars have now become cheaper for road trips.

add to that the time needed to SC during a road trip and it becomes a lose-lose proposition...

I can't imagine most people are going to be really affected by Supercharger rates. I'd probably use one about 3 - 4 time a year, maybe. I'm going to guess that 95%+ of charging is done at home.

Yeah, I believe it's to dissuade people from using it as a primary point of charging. For travel, I think it's a non-issue.

Personally, I like the idea of having a "home" location. Give free (or cheap) Supercharging for anyone greater than 200 miles from their home. This is a genuine limitation of EVs and the infrastructure. Double the price for local Supercharging.

I totally get that there are issues for some people who rent or live in a midrise, for example. I can sympathize. But these aren't Tesla's problems. There are plenty of Tesla owners making sacrifices, like being hours from a Service Center. Being an early adopter isn't always easy.

I can't imagine most people are going to be really affected by Supercharger rates. I'd probably use one about 3 - 4 time a year, maybe. I'm going to guess that 95%+ of charging is done at home.

It will affect perception disproportionately, further sinking the demand for the car.

Beyond that, for me, I would have probably taken the Tesla on shorter road trips, if indeed charging was noticeably cheaper than taking another car. At these prices, I’m certainly not going to drive the Model 3, which will result in Tesla getting nil for supercharger revenue vs some. If that was the intention, then mission accomplished.

Yes but it does make you wonder what the logic is. At first this was actually a showstopper for us. Now not so much as it looks like the Tesla network will serve most of our needs. But it is a limiting factor and Chademo/CCS is much better built out than the Supercharger in our province.

The other thing that is in the back of our minds is that what happens if Tesla fails? Now there is no access to fast charging period. One would hope that the Supercharger network would be bought by someone but what happens if they buy it to dismantle it? Paranoid for sure but you know...just sayin. I do not see any good reason to limit the 3 to Supercharger only.

Tesla has said in the past that Chademo support is coming for the Model 3, they just haven’t done it yet. No conspiracy, just a company being slow. I expect it before mid year.

Reactions: APotatoGod
No. Go back to the Tesla webpage and read the bulletpoints. $.31 is an estimated average. You now have to look at each site on your car screen. In the LA area prices range from $.30 to $.36 I think.

I checked the ones near me in SoCal, most of them are either $0.31 or $0.35. The busy ones are $0.35, not so busy ones are $0.31. I have not seen one with $0.30... probably in remote area of CA. Fountain Valley is at $0.36... only 1 I saw at $0.36.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Most people do most of their charging at home or other slow charger installations, Superchargers are to eliminate range anxiety and make Teslas fully functional personal vehicles that can practically be used on long trips. Without the Supercharging network, Tesla would be in the same bin with all the compliance cars intended only for local travel, with it, they very successfully compete against ICE vehicles.

Currently, Tesla is trying to become a long term viable company producing many more vehicles. To appeal to a wider customer base to make that work, they need to scale up the Supercharger network (and Service Centers) for both volume and coverage. TANSTAAFL.

I have to disagree that Superchargers are to ONLY to eliminate range anxiety.

Tesla is increasing the price of supercharging to do what? To help pay for more superchargers.

Tesla has sold over 500K cars. Lets say that every day each car uses supercharges $1 worth of electricity - long distance or local.

Do you think Tesla would frown at an additional $500k per day and possibly be angry about most of the money coming from locals?

Do you think Tesla would say..."Man...I wish all of these local people would stop giving us their $1 per day"?

NO way.

Tesla is selling supercharging energy....and they don't want certain clientele to use it? I highly doubt it at this point.

The solution to this is battery storage, +/- VRE (not the bacteria) to feed the batteries. I'm confident that is coming but Tesla is on a mission to be profitable every quarter so freebies are going away.

Too bad they gave up on battery swapping. Would also have been a great solution for condo/renters who don't have @home charging.

Also in that video @0:33... "Supercharging is and will always be free" - Elon (state it, until you change it) Musk

I guess we'll have to wait for China's NIO to enter the US market... as they drink Tesla's milkshake.

Last edited:
What kind of nonsense calculation is this? If you used, say, an Audi e-Tron (which can charge at up to 150kW at EA stations) you'd receive more kWh in 30 minutes than at the supercharger. If there ever is a US version of a Tesla CCS adapter, one would hope it will support more than a paltry 44kW.

I have easily had rates @ 120kw at superchargers. 150kw is probably 5 min faster if the car is empty.

Keep in mind that the BMS on the cells will only allow a certain current rate - no matter what current you have available.

For instance: I only receive 120kw for about 5 min before the BMS's start saying - I don't need that much current anymore - and the SC'ing rate starts dropping.

Sooo….I'm not sure why everyone is clamoring for a higher rate charger when the BMS's are the things that limit charging rates.