Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had free supercharging with my 2013 model S but not with my 2016 model S Why the difference ?
You can look at it several ways, but I view the early free Supercharging as an perk for (relatively) early adopters to demonstrate the viability of long-distance travel with Teslas. It's not really sustainable now that there are a lot more Teslas than there were in 2013, and anecdotally there are more owners using Superchargers for their daily charging needs (rather than long-distance travel).

Bruce.

Upvote 0
Your 2016 will have had free supercharging when it was new. If it doesn’t now, Tesla has removed it - which they have been doing to cars that pass through their hands as preowned, trade-ins, lease returns etc since mid-2019.
Yes, Tesla has always been doing that, and even in a few cases, illegally doing it with cars they never got back, which required some fighting from the new owners to get the full unlimited Supercharger status re-applied. I was working with a friend of mine buying a used 2016 70D Model S, and was already starting to prepare her with information and evidence in case they did this, but she got it transferred to her newly created account, and it shows the unlimited Supercharging and unlimited Premium data connectivity just as it should. Very nice.

Upvote 0