Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surge in M3 SuperCharging* knocks the grid over!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I was loving the future until this happened...

I wonder this is similar to what happened in Australia.

They couldn't deal with the peak demand so they needed more generators but Tesla suggested its battery storage instead and it has been working great!

That's why if you have a house, it's time to stock up some solar panels and battery storage!

Having had my Powerwall 2 commissioned on Tuesday I'm feeling rather smug :D. However, it seems we aren't in the affected area despite the Gatwick Express being affected. I didn't get any notification in Backup History on the app so I assume we didn't loose power. Slightly disappointed ;)

Interestingly, when the electrician tested the backup operation, our NAS drive and PC didn't miss a beat so it appears to change over quickly enough to function as a UPS.

• Informative
Reactions: Gareth Davies
Did you order the new gateway or get it by default? I understand that the non backup capable is being phased out.

Always tempted by Powerwall even though it makes no financial sense. But I baulk at the install and extra kit costs, especially of gateway v2.

Interesting to know what your efficiency and energy figures are as time goes by, especially winter. Are you using it with Solar PV, if so how big? I've seen some figures from other users but I don't think the source of this is particularly reliable.

Last edited:
By default. I don't believe you can get the old gateway now. It bumped the price up by £1000 and Tesla's installation cost guidelines are rather optimistic, which made me think very carefully before committing. Installation guidelines on the Tesla website are rather optimistic and based on what we might call fairly economic installers, and they have had quite a lot of installation problems apparently. There are only a limited number of iapproved nstallers now and Tesla QA check some installations. Mine is a fairly simple installation. They didn't even have to install a new earth spike (earthing of the backup gateway is rather critical). But it took two electricians one day and one electrician another day to complete the installation. During the quote period I complained loudly about the installation costs, both to the installation company and Tesla and got what I think turned out to be a very reasonable price, £1500 for installation for one Powerwall without any additional solar. It included the salesman's visit, a preliminary electrician's survey and all the admin and getting approvals.

Financially it 's very dependent on a number of factors. Particularly your individual power demand profile, low night rate prices, assumed electricity price inflation , solar input, etc. etc. We use 3x as much night rate at 5.4p/kwH as day rate. Initial findings are that even with fairly cloudy weather this week (we have a 4kW solar array) we've used virtually zero peak rate electricity,, with most of the Powerwall charging coming from the solar, which is encouraging (winter may be a different matter).

Regarding the backup gateway, yes it is a big price hike, but it has significant advantages including a DIN rail to mount CB's etc on, saving a separate sub unit. It has both backup and non-backup outputs and our electrician wired in the Model S charger on the non-backup side. That immediately gets round one of my worries - nighttime power cut and the Model S drains the Powerwall (very quickly!) Wired on the non-backup side it just doesn't charge, leaving the Powerwall to supply essential needs - and hopefully the grid supply comes back on line later in the night so you never notice it).