Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
concerns" are unfounded. In normal operation on paved roads a ball joint is in compression, which is why even a loose ball joint can function for a long time, though most people might notice some alignment issues or noises. Because they are in compression in normal driving conditions I know ball joint failure was not the cause of those people driving off a cliff
I disagree, because they can come apart when hitting a pothole. I know there are a ton of potholes in western Pa and central New Youk.

You forgot to say IMHO.

No I didn't.

Here is a good balanced article.

No it's not. And Hybridcars has had an ongoing anti-Tesla bias. But there is a very interesting statement in that article from our old buddy "Keef"

Peter Cordaro’s rusted ball joint was the first failure of that component that I have seen,” said Leech. “It concerns me less than the fractures of the alloy front steering knuckle and rear suspension.”

Even your buddy Keef has stated that your failure has NO relation to the other "failures" he thinks he has seen. Which means even in Keefs pretend world of suspension failures yours is completely unrelated to the others. You seem to be under the delusion that any "suspension failure" is related, but unless the exact same specific component, i.e. ball joint, fails in the exact same way, i.e. excessive ball corrosion leading to a ball and socket separation there is no relation at all. Do you understand that fact?

I disagree, because they can come apart when hitting a pothole. I know there are a ton of potholes in western Pa and central New Youk.

Certainly not in CA where those two people drove off cliffs. I saw photos of at least one of those roads and it's quite smooth. Also it's unlikely to pull a ball joint out unless you are driving slowly over a very deep pothole and the suspension has the time to drop to full extension, something unlikely to happen at speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.