Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

more on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've been using FSD more often with my 2-week-old Model S (2023), I've had the following issues. Has anyone else experienced these, and is there something I can do to reduce the problems?

1) Car changes lanes when there is no speed or congestion advantage to doing so.

2) When exiting highway to road with stop lights and lower speedlimit not posted, the car continues going fast until it sees the red lights.

3) When turning left onto a road with a left-turn-only lane (marked with arrow painted on road), it chooses that lane (which is the closest) initially rather than the lane labeled with a straight arrow (which is where I intended to go and where the destination was set to.

As I've been using FSD more often with my 2-week-old Model S (2023), I've had the following issues. Has anyone else experienced these, and is there something I can do to reduce the problems?

1) Car changes lanes when there is no speed or congestion advantage to doing so.

2) When exiting highway to road with stop lights and lower speedlimit not posted, the car continues going fast until it sees the red lights.

3) When turning left onto a road with a left-turn-only lane (marked with arrow painted on road), it chooses that lane (which is the closest) initially rather than the lane labeled with a straight arrow (which is where I intended to go and where the destination was set to.

I assume that you underappeciate the fact that Tesla doesn't release a final consumer quality version of the software.

The advantage for Tesla when things don't work correctly is it can blame the consumers and not the software.

Tesla expects the car will drive itself at level 4 (Waymo) or 5 (none in the world so far) by the end of this year, 2023.

The longer you use FSD the more you will see the gross imperfections. The best thing to do if you intend to continue to use it is accept all the imperfections and be very wary because I dont see them going away soon.

I‘m confused by this one. You say “when turning left” but then you say you wanted to go straight. Please clarify.

Turn on minimal lane changes to stop unnecessary ones. As for the red light, it's driving style takes some getting used to. It doesn't drive the way I do but it does work. I've learned to let it do its thing and the more you use it, the more you'll learn how it drives and gain confidence in it.

Reactions: worldtraveller
If u want to remain calm and collected behind the wheel don't use FSD on local streets. Take over control and drive your self.

Only use FSD on well marked highways and always PAY ATTENTION. IT'S YOUR FAULT IF IT SCREWS UP!

Reactions: teko
I‘m confused by this one. You say “when turning left” but then you say you wanted to go straight. Please clarify.
I think @Worldtraveler is describing this scenario. This happens to me 100% of the time with FSDb, it should be going straight but instead it follows the left turn marker (whether there is marker on the road doesn't matter). This behavior started in 11.4, it didn't do it in every scenario but for specific location like this junction, it always do it and it is not because of traffic or map data. I used to engage FSDb on this 5 miles stretch all the time, but now I don't, so annoying to disengage every few blocks on both ways.

The worst case I experienced is on the right side but that right turn road actually ends (a turn into an condo complex) and it is traveling at 50mph, the destination turn is about half mile ahead.

1696342135953.png

Turn on minimal lane changes to stop unnecessary ones. As for the red light, it's driving style takes some getting used to. It doesn't drive the way I do but it does work. I've learned to let it do its thing and the more you use it, the more you'll learn how it drives and gain confidence in it.
This doesn't help. My car continues at 55 mph to go into the left turn lane, even with it turning blinker on, when the route is straight ahead. I have been sending bug reports on this for months.

It also changes lanes saying it is changing lane to follow route, when the route is straight ahead. I have minimal lane changes selected at the start of each drive. A simple solution would be for the car to never change lanes unless I confirm it, like the feature used to have as an option. This would solve the issue until they figure out why it does this.

Moderator note: Noting the direction that certain other threads on the topic of FSD have gone, I'm gonna remind everyone in general and nobody in particular to please keep your comments respectful and on-topic. Thanks!

Bruce.

PS. I've found that one of the keys to success in using Autopilot (and variants such as FSD, TACC, etc.) is knowing when _not_ to use them.

These are common problems, which will be solved eventually in future releases but don’t expect there won’t be other new problems or something worked before breaks. Once you noticed the failures in certain areas/situations, just disengage early, no point in using it until a new version of software is installed.

I think @Worldtraveler is describing this scenario. This happens to me 100% of the time with FSDb, it should be going straight but instead it follows the left turn marker (whether there is marker on the road doesn't matter). This behavior started in 11.4, it didn't do it in every scenario but for specific location like this junction, it always do it and it is not because of traffic or map data. I used to engage FSDb on this 5 miles stretch all the time, but now I don't, so annoying to disengage every few blocks on both ways.
Actually, I think the OP is describing something else but now I know what they meant, because it’s happened to me too. If I take a left at the end of a highway exit ramp, the leftmost lane after turning is a left turn only lane to get on the highway in the other direction. On FSD Beta, my car will always choose that lane after turning left, so I have to intervene.