Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SUT tax on Tesla in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other then the sale tax I think we pay lets say $80.00 for your registration and then another $60.00 for inspection. At some point the State will hit all of us for $250.00 road tax because we don't buy gas.

Tesla's don't have to ever go to inspection stations in NJ, in fact we have no inspection sticker on our windshields. The fact we don't pay initial or subsequent yearly sales tax on Tesla purchase saved me $5,600 on $80K purchase. Believe me, NJ has always, still does and always will suck, but the EV tax thingie was a nice benefit. We still pay highest property taxes, car insurance rates so it ain't Utopia.

@FDNYLadder33 - agree on all points, also tolls. And man your property taxes (2.1%) are indeed scary. In 50 years you end up buying the house twice. Property taxes all over US are pretty high compared to most of the world. Here I pay 1.13%, and the average nice house is 2 million. Even if you pay the house cash, you still owe $25K to the govt. every year, whether you make any income or not. Ugh!