Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW updates in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I just got the new software version 12.11.1 this morning. I understood that at least elsewhere this was specifically only for those with the FSD. Sadly in Japan this version only contains bug fixes and sentry cam viewer but nothing related to the autopilot.

I thought we can discuss about the SW improvements in this thread.

Hi, Andy,
It's a pity Japan doesn't even get new maps for slowing down at corners and traffic signals, stop signs. Any firmware is targeted for all vehicles, including Classic cars without autopilot, so with updates, some may get great features while some have little improvements or only bug fixes. That said, even with AP2.0 cars like mine, receive autopilot improvements in every update.

2020.12 is much better than 2019.x I believe.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Hi Hiroshi,

really looking forward to getting those features here in Japan. Hopefully it's sooner than later. Based on your previous postings and your blog, I have understood that you are often in contact with Tesla Japan, have you ever asked about this?

Regarding the autopilot, you are actually right, the autopilot is much more stable in this version than in the previous ones. I can basically rely on it on my daily 50 km commute to work on the straight sections. Naturally all traffic lights, curves, turns are still manual.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi Hiroshi,

really looking forward to getting those features here in Japan. Hopefully it's sooner than later. Based on your previous postings and your blog, I have understood that you are often in contact with Tesla Japan, have you ever asked about this?

Regarding the autopilot, you are actually right, the autopilot is much more stable in this version than in the previous ones. I can basically rely on it on my daily 50 km commute to work on the straight sections. Naturally all traffic lights, curves, turns are still manual.

I'm not a special person :) so I have no special knowledge - I just drive my Tesla longer than other people I guess.

Picked up my new Model 3 with FSD 2 weeks ago and just got the 2020.20.12 update on Saturday. Really hope more self driving features are enabled in Japan soon.

I installed 2020.20.12 the other day and it is better than before, definitely than 2020.12 in Japan. There were many phantom braking events with the previous builds, but this 2020.20.12 reduces phantom braking like <10% in shuto expressway.

However, other than that, it still drives corners at crazy speed, brakes later than human drivers, and no NoA features at all.

There are some missing features...

Caraoke
Navigate on Autopilot
Stop sign and red light recognition
Homelink
Navigation using multiple superchargers
Slowing down before corners on Autopilot

I think the following features are enabled just last year.
Voice commands except navigation (like AC, music, trunk)
Tesla navigation (previous one was non Tesla and much slower)

I got the 2020.24.6.9 yesterday, still no signs of the visualization improvements. In other markets the cabin camera is also enabled but not in Japan (although not sure if this is good or bad ;). They got them in China which of course is much bigger market than Japan for Tesla.

I wonder what are the reasons for not enabling "navigate on autopilot" here? Is it the legislation? Nissan already has that kind of system in operation. I saw an article on JP newspaper earlier this year that the self-driving car legislation was relaxed from 1.4.2020 but they kept a condition that the car must use camera to follow the driver's level of awareness i.e. Tesla follows this by detecting a torque on the steering wheel not via the cabin camera. I don't know if these are related, just pure speculation.

I wonder what are the reasons for not enabling "navigate on autopilot" here? Is it the legislation? Nissan already has that kind of system in operation.

Nissan doesn't have a feature like Navigate on Autopilot - ProPilot is just lane keep and traffic aware cruise control.

I imagine legislation is restricting what features can be used in Japan. As far as I know the car needs to go through testing and be approved first.

• Helpful
There are some missing features...

Caraoke
Navigate on Autopilot
Stop sign and red light recognition
Homelink
Navigation using multiple superchargers
Slowing down before corners on Autopilot

I think the following features are enabled just last year.
Voice commands except navigation (like AC, music, trunk)
Tesla navigation (previous one was non Tesla and much slower)

My understanding was that the relevant authorities have not approved new software features so Japan doesn't get them. There may also be legal issues like there are in Europe, but can you comment on the first bit?

My understanding was that the relevant authorities have not approved new software features so Japan doesn't get them. There may also be legal issues like there are in Europe, but can you comment on the first bit?
Sorry for the late reply. Do you mean Caraoke? I guess to enable the features in Japan, Tesla needs to obtain Japanese song licenses as people don't sing English songs.