Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Universal Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been our for awhile
According to the video, this went on sale just today. I have never heard of this EVER previously (or even the idea of it), only the permanent J1772 version.

To be clear this is NOT the same wall connector as the J1772 version. This one has a "magic dock" (similar to on some of the superchargers) that allows it to switch between J1772 and NACS without a separate adapter.

I have no desire currently to get another EVSE, but I were in the market for one, I would probably get this one to have the flexibility to allow for guests to charge (and in case I ever get a J1772 EV).

Available at BestBuy in pre-order for $595 and on the Tesla Shop web page.

Tesla - Universal Wall Connector Level 2 Hardwired Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger – up to 48A– 24’

Model:1734412-02-D
SKU:6557478
Release Date:10/31/2023

Similar to the Supercharger MagicDoc,k, the new Universl NACS to J1772 adaptor
is located inside the wall charger and can only be removed using the NACS plug.

Universal L2 Charger   01 .jpgUniversal L2 Charger   02 .jpg

Last edited:
so, anyone read if the j1772 adapter can be used elsewhere? could someone take it with them on a road trip to use with tesla destination chargers? (replacing the tesla-tap). or will the adapter part only work with the universal connector. (we have both a CCS vehicle and a Tesla).

I cant think of a reason why it wouldnt if its just a Tesla to J1172 adapter built in.

so, anyone read if the j1772 adapter can be used elsewhere? could someone take it with them on a road trip to use with tesla destination chargers? (replacing the tesla-tap). or will the adapter part only work with the universal connector. (we have both a CCS vehicle and a Tesla).

I cant think of a reason why it wouldnt if its just a Tesla to J1172 adapter built in.

The Universal Adapter cannot be removed from the wallcharger without using the NACS plug.

May be the Universal Adapter might be sold separately, but currently only the Adapter made by Lectron is available.

Is this really that amazing? I mean if you have J1772 charger with the adapter, non-teslas can just remove the adapter. And the video clearly shows that you do need an adapter, it's just in the dock. Sounds like cover for NACS-only/default solution but not super innovative. What am I missing?

Is this really that amazing? I mean if you have J1772 charger with the adapter, non-teslas can just remove the adapter. And the video clearly shows that you do need an adapter, it's just in the dock. Sounds like cover for NACS-only/default solution but not super innovative. What am I missing?
The only innovative part is the "magic dock" style adapter. This makes it possible to deploy as a public destination charger that serves both standards. If you think about it, even if the other manufacturers end up supplying a J1772 to NACS adapter like Tesla has been doing, who wants to keep putting in J1772 plugs just so that all cars can connect?

From a practical standpoint, for people who want/need both plugs at home, one hopes that this will work better than the third party adapters with the standard wall connector where you sometimes have to wait 30s or play other games to get a J1772 car to start charging. Plus, and this is from a guy who owns two J1772 EVSEs, the Tesla Wall Connector is more elegant and generally cheaper.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
This isn't necessarily "innovative" per se, but it certainly makes A LOT of good sense.

Yes, you may have adapters lying around around but this is one solution and easy to use.

Also both the NACS or the J1772 plug will be locked to the car when charging.

Currently, when using a Public L2 Charger with a Tesla, you need to have
a Tesla to J1772 adapter, but this adapter doesn't lock the J1772 plug,
unless you also use a colar to protect from been disconnected while charging.

So I often noticed when looking at the Sentry camera that people try to disconnect my car,
sometime to plug their own car, or just for fun.

It’s just the added convenience of the built in adapter so you don’t have to deal with a separate loose adapter you can potentially misplace.

If you already have a wall connector, it’s not going to be worth it to replace yours. But if you are in the market for a new one then this is an elegant solution if you need both types of plugs.

I hope Tesla releases a Tesla to J1772 adapter as an alternative for people that may already have one or more Tesla/NACS wall connectors. I don’t necessarily trust random third party manufacturers for something like that.

Reactions: micantony
It’s just the added convenience of the built in adapter so you don’t have to deal with a separate loose adapter you can potentially misplace.

If you already have a wall connector, it’s not going to be worth it to replace yours. But if you are in the market for a new one then this is an elegant solution if you need both types of plugs.
If you have a hotel or workplace and want to offer AC charging to guests or employees, then using this universal wall connector will allow for all EVs in North America to use it without adapters that could get misplaced, lost, or stolen.

With so many manufacturers adopting the NACS standard, this seems like it'll only be useful for a small window of time relatively speaking.

Of course my perspective may be different because I have a 50A outlet (came with home) and don't plan on getting another ev for at least 5 years.

I've been considering the standard wall connector, but it's been hard to really justify the money. Definitely wouldn't spend 50% more for a built in J1772 adaptor.

With so many manufacturers adopting the NACS standard, this seems like it'll only be useful for a small window of time relatively speaking.

Of course my perspective may be different because I have a 50A outlet (came with home) and don't plan on getting another ev for at least 5 years.

I've been considering the standard wall connector, but it's been hard to really justify the money. Definitely wouldn't spend 50% more for a built in J1772 adaptor.
J1772 won't be necessary eventually, still five years for some people and with cars being operated for something like fifteen years. It will be necessary for more than a short time.

J1772 won't be necessary eventually, still five years for some people and with cars being operated for something like fifteen years. It will be necessary for more than a short time.
Unless the government mandates a certain connector, there’s still some big holdouts for J1772/CCS so we may never see a single connector type. Namely VW Group, BMW Group, Stellantis, Hyundai/Kia, and the Japanese brands.