Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Universal Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless the government mandates a certain connector, there’s still some big holdouts for J1772/CCS so we may never see a single connector type. Namely VW Group, BMW Group, Stellantis, Hyundai/Kia, and the Japanese brands.
I suppose they could hold out but it seems like a bad decision to me. About 75% of EVs are NACS already. Some states are requiring charging companies to support NACS or they won't receive subsidies. I would be less likely to purchase a car that was non standard, it would have to be extremely compelling. But all of this is conjecture for the next five years or so.

Well then, it's a standard for you. But soon, for no one else.
Once a standard it’s always a standard. It may become obsolete or replaced with a different standard, but it will still be a standard.

A standard is a set of parameters set by a body of engineers that define exactly how a certain thing must operate.

So even if NACS takes over, J1772 will still be a standard defined by the SAE.

If not every automaker adopts NACS, then we will have two standards. CPOs will likely install both NACS and CCS connectors at their stations, like they do with CHAdeMO now. And/or people will carry adapters in their cars to convert one to the other.

If this could get on the list of qualified EV chargers rebates like below, I’m sure they’d sell like crazy.

I just signed a contract with an electrical contractor to install a wall charger in my parking stall. I live in a 56-unit condo and my parking stall is in the basement. It's crazy expensive but you can't put a price on my time and convenience. I have decided to buy the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. From what I'm reading, the wall connector has to be "conditioned" before it's ready to use. My problem is my home's WiFi doesn't reach my parking stall. I read Tesla has a WiFi that my electrician can use to connect the charger. But will I have future problems when Tesla upgrades the firmware? I'm not very technical so I may not be using the right words. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. All I can say is that this website has been incredibly helpful to me!

From what I'm reading, the wall connector has to be "conditioned" before it's ready to use.
Most people use terms like provisioned or commissioned, but yes, it's a software configuration setup.

My problem is my home's WiFi doesn't reach my parking stall.
That doesn't matter. The setup doesn't require anything to have an external internet connection. For the setup, it is the wall connector itself acting as a wi-fi access point for a device to connect directly to it. There's no external connection to any other router or some other wi-fi system needed. You can just have your phone there in front of it connect directly to the wall connector's signal.

But will I have future problems when Tesla upgrades the firmware?
If there were ever any interesting functions they add in future software versions, and they are features you want, then sure, you would need to figure out some way to update it (which can be done), but that is also not really necessary for regular use.

Most people use terms like provisioned or commissioned, but yes, it's a software configuration setup.

That doesn't matter. The setup doesn't require anything to have an external internet connection. For the setup, it is the wall connector itself acting as a wi-fi access point for a device to connect directly to it. There's no external connection to any other router or some other wi-fi system needed. You can just have your phone there in front of it connect directly to the wall connector's signal.

If there were ever any interesting functions they add in future software versions, and they are features you want, then sure, you would need to figure out some way to update it (which can be done), but that is also not really necessary for regular use.
Thanks, Rocky! You're so knowledgeable and I'm grateful for your help. This process of hiring an engineer and an electrical contractor has been a learning experience. It's also been very stressful. Now I guess I can relax a little bit!

I just signed a contract with an electrical contractor to install a wall charger in my parking stall. I live in a 56-unit condo and my parking stall is in the basement. It's crazy expensive but you can't put a price on my time and convenience. I have decided to buy the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. From what I'm reading, the wall connector has to be "conditioned" before it's ready to use. My problem is my home's WiFi doesn't reach my parking stall. I read Tesla has a WiFi that my electrician can use to connect the charger. But will I have future problems when Tesla upgrades the firmware? I'm not very technical so I may not be using the right words. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. All I can say is that this website has been incredibly helpful to me!
If I may ask:

1) How were able to get permission from your condo association? I am assuming you have your own numbered / reserved parking space in the condo garage?

2) would you mind your sharing your cost for the install?

I am in similar situation, townhouse with no garage and community parking lot with my own parking space in front of the house

Thanks!

If I may ask:

1) How were able to get permission from your condo association? I am assuming you have your own numbered / reserved parking space in the condo garage?

2) would you mind your sharing your cost for the install?

I am in similar situation, townhouse with no garage and community parking lot with my own parking space in front of the house

Thanks!
We submitted our request to our condo association last week and we are awaiting their preliminary approval. First of all, you will need to hire an engineer to do the design/drawings and apply for the required building permit. The engineer also needs to do a study to determine if your building as well as your unit has enough capacity to support the wall charger. Once you get your permit, then you hire an electrical contractor to do the installation. This does not even include the cost of the wall charger! Does your parking space have a wall or pillar that you can mount an EV wall charger on? Getting back to costs.... approximately $10K! But I am partnering with my neighbor who parks next to me and we are doing the work together. To do both of us at the same time will be $12K ($6K for each of us). That's a substantial savings! They will need to run a conduit approximately 200 feet from our electrical vault in the basement to our parking stalls. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: thyname
We submitted our request to our condo association last week and we are awaiting their preliminary approval. First of all, you will need to hire an engineer to do the design/drawings and apply for the required building permit. The engineer also needs to do a study to determine if your building as well as your unit has enough capacity to support the wall charger. Once you get your permit, then you hire an electrical contractor to do the installation. This does not even include the cost of the wall charger! Does your parking space have a wall or pillar that you can mount an EV wall charger on? Getting back to costs.... approximately $10K! But I am partnering with my neighbor who parks next to me and we are doing the work together. To do both of us at the same time will be $12K ($6K for each of us). That's a substantial savings! They will need to run a conduit approximately 200 feet from our electrical vault in the basement to our parking stalls. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Thanks! this is very helpful indeed. My parking space is in an open space parking lot outdoors, so no walls or pillars. The pillar (along with possibly two other "barricade" protective pillars) must be installed for the wall charger.

It looks like it's going to be a big job. I can see why it may be difficult for you to get association approval. Has anyone else in your townhouse installed a charger? Will they be able to run wire from your home's electrical to the outside? We anticipate our project to take approximately one year (if we're lucky). The permitting process in our state is a big joke!