Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway Bars, End Links, and Rear Control Arms Installation & Impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like how MPP name most of their product after roads, famous turns in my neck of the woods. Good job @MountainPass Couple new product suggestions, Big Basin BBK and Skyline Drive Spoilers.

BTW, 2020 Audi RS6 Avant has 420mm stock, 431mm CCB upgrade. Maybe Big Basin BBK needs to be +400mm to justify the Big.
What’s the meaning of having bigger rotors when the current sized ones already performed pretty well on Laguna Seca?
Size brings weight, Teslas don’t generate so much heat on the brakes thanks to the track mode enhanced regen. I would prefer the current sized rotors to save some weight, also give you more choice of wheels.

What’s the meaning of having bigger rotors when the current sized ones already performed pretty well on Laguna Seca?
Size brings weight, Teslas don’t generate so much heat on the brakes thanks to the track mode enhanced regen. I would prefer the current sized rotors to save some weight, also give you more choice of wheels.

I am totally joking about the 400mm size. I guess it is hard to read that from a post. ;) Or maybe I'm not. Hey @MountainPass, I don't think 400mm is enough to justify the Big Basin BBK name. Just go all the way to 450mm CC BBK, bundle it with 22" carbon fiber wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
I am totally joking about the 400mm size. I guess it is hard to read that from a post. ;) Or maybe I'm not. Hey @MountainPass, I don't think 400mm is enough to justify the Big Basin BBK name. Just go all the way to 450mm CC BBK, bundle it with 22" carbon fiber wheels.

Colin McRae 555mm BBK incoming!

Follow the instruction on @MountainPass website. Perhaps once upon the time, the control arms are shipped in preset of the correct length. My arms (toe & camber) were set too long compare to stock.

Installed my arms tonight. Same experience, both camber and toe arms were too long. Camber was slightly too long which is totally fine, my car is lowered. But toe was like 3/4" too long so required re-centering the adjuster per the MPP instructions, in addition to shortening. They really should update the instructions to just explain how to match the arms to the stock ones IMO.

One other annoying thing was, when torquing the outer bolts, the camber arms tended to twist. It's probably best to have the adjuster lock nuts loose (or nearly so) when bolting the arms in, and then align the arm torque the adjuster lock nuts after. I.e. don't twist the arms with the adjuster lock nuts tight. Maybe it's a minor issue, they're only tightened to 66in-lb.

Reactions: MountainPass
IMG_3540.JPG
Some minor interference between the sway bar and the lower control arm when the steering wheel is turned.

IMG_3556.jpg
IMG_3559.jpg

Dremel the corner of the sway bar, problem solved.

• Informative
Reactions: dmd2005
Oh sugar! That’s not good! Is this a design fault or overzealous driving? No offense intended but, it surprises me, none the least!

EDIT: “Spirited” may have been a better description.

There's a reason I'm willing to drop $5k for front control arms + sway bars + coilovers...but i want to wait until mid next year.

need time for these kinds of things to be worked out

Oh sugar! That’s not good! Is this a design fault or overzealous driving? No offense intended but, it surprises me, none the least!

EDIT: “Spirited” may have been a better description.

Every single car that comes out of the factory regardless of the brand will have deviation what is within the acceptable tolerance. On top of that, my 3 have a different setup than your 3, so how parts flex will be different. Where you drive and how you drive play a role as well. There is just no way for any aftermarket company to test all the variable that an enthusiast might mix and match.

I mod my car so it can perform better than stock at the track. A little Dremel work on parts that no one will see is something I am comfortable with the Model 3, just as I have done with other cars I have owned before this.

You might never have any issues with your aftermarket parts or stock parts. It is unrealistic to expect everything to be fine and dandy just like stock when you replace stock parts with parts will give 15~50% more lateral stiffness. Please review Newton's Law of Physics, in particular, the 3rd law - The three laws proposed by Sir Isaac Newton to define the concept of force and describe motion, used as the basis of classical mechanics. The first law states that a body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion at a constant speed in a straight line, unless acted upon by a force. The second law states that the acceleration of a body is equal to the force acting upon it divided by the body's mass. The third law states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dfwatt
We've not seen any interference with the sway bars on other cars, but granted we designed them for the factory end links (which we find to be great and without play).
Perhaps the setup on this car is a little different (as beastmode13 also mentioned) and since he's swapped to aftermarket end links there may be a slightly different outcome than in "normal" use cases.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
Am considering SBs. Does anyone know if any of these mods will affect manufacturer’s warranty?

It's the standard vague parameters. If Tesla can prove or even argue with modest evidence that the modification caused a failure of the suspension the warranty on that repair is voided. The bigger problem of course for suspension stuff is that if you track the car and Tesla finds out they can make all kinds of disallowing look legit.