Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway Bars, End Links, and Rear Control Arms Installation & Impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the standard vague parameters. If Tesla can prove or even argue with modest evidence that the modification caused a failure of the suspension the warranty on that repair is voided. The bigger problem of course for suspension stuff is that if you track the car and Tesla finds out they can make all kinds of disallowing look legit.

Those 3's with track mode should be okay then?

I ask that somewhat snarkily as I'm aware of the whole grey area as regards after-market upgrades and OEM warranties.

Those 3's with track mode should be okay then?

I ask that somewhat snarkily as I'm aware of the whole grey area as regards after-market upgrades and OEM warranties.

Yes and it is an area where manufacturers can potentially it stick to owners for the thinnest of rationalized reasons. I haven't heard anything about this in terms of folks tracking the car facing a warranty disavowal, but I haven't looked so who knows.

We've not seen any interference with the sway bars on other cars, but granted we designed them for the factory end links (which we find to be great and without play).
Perhaps the setup on this car is a little different (as beastmode13 also mentioned) and since he's swapped to aftermarket end links there may be a slightly different outcome than in "normal" use cases.
I have the same issue with stock end links. See photo below. I used your recommended settings of soft in the front and medium in the rear. Front is hitting! I’ve moved these to the medium setting for now, but this seems like a design flaw.

Attachments

• BE31790B-056D-42B4-BF06-FBF5A14765E8.jpeg
    BE31790B-056D-42B4-BF06-FBF5A14765E8.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 196
I have the same issue with stock end links. See photo below. I used your recommended settings of soft in the front and medium in the rear. Front is hitting! I’ve moved these to the medium setting for now, but this seems like a design flaw.

It is likely because the lower control arm moves forward and backward when steering!

• Funny
Reactions: webbah
@webbah thanks for posting this, I probably never would have looked. @beastmode13 grinding the sway bar won't make a difference, the end links are rubbing in this case. Looks like the front UP sway bar us too long.

@UnpluggedP my factory end links are also rubbing (see attached). I think we need a better answer than "we've never seen this" as...well...you've now seen this :)

We've not seen any interference with the sway bars on other cars, but granted we designed them for the factory end links (which we find to be great and without play).
Perhaps the setup on this car is a little different (as beastmode13 also mentioned) and since he's swapped to aftermarket end links there may be a slightly different outcome than in "normal" use cases.

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_095944.jpg
    IMG_20200212_095944.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: webbah
@webbah thanks for posting this, I probably never would have looked. @beastmode13 grinding the sway bar won't make a difference, the end links are rubbing in this case. Looks like the front UP sway bar us too long.

@UnpluggedP my factory end links are also rubbing (see attached). I think we need a better answer than "we've never seen this" as...well...you've now seen this :)
My pleasure. I’d suggest moving to the medium (middle) setting in the front. I did that a few weeks ago and it doesn’t appear to still be hitting. I’m planning on putting the car on the lift soon though as I am also now getting a creaky noise from the bushings from the winter grime here and need to lube them up with some silicon spray anyway.

But (@UnpluggedP) why have to use a setting your not necessarily intending to just to alleviate an apparent manufacturing/length/sizing defect. It cuts down on your adjustment options.....they should then only list 2 not three adjustment options if one is not useable and causes issues. Or, novel concept......redesign the aforementioned part so it works/fits properly as intended.

Ski

But why have to use a setting your not necessarily intending to just to alleviate an apparent manufacturing/length/sizing defect. It cuts down on your adjustment options.....they should then only list 2 not three adjustment options if one is not useable and causes issues. Or, novel concept......redesign the aforementioned part so it works/fits properly as intended.

Ski
Absolutely agree. This is a fix to the issue with the existing kit, but I’m not happy about it. I’m even tempted to going back to the stock P3D+ sway bars. I will not advise anyone else to purchase these in current form.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Another issue for me is the strict Swiss Homologation standards here. Any modifications need to be certified and approved by the authorities. A local vendor (For-Car-Concepts in Pfaffikon) pays a lot of money to certify certain mods and has certified Unplugged, but I have not been successful yet in getting them to do @MountainPass stuff. Perhaps we can work on that together MPP? ;-)

Another issue for me is the strict Swiss Homologation standards here. Any modifications need to be certified and approved by the authorities. A local vendor (For-Car-Concepts in Pfaffikon) pays a lot of money to certify certain mods and has certified Unplugged, but I have not been successful yet in getting them to do @MountainPass stuff. Perhaps we can work on that together MPP? ;-)

TUV is our biggest challenge to date, and we are always happy to discuss working with someone in Europe to conquer it!

P.S. Who said we aren't working on sway bars? ;)

Can anyone confirm if the stock Rear Swaybar on the AWD and Performance cars is the same,
or is it the same on the non-Performance cars (SR, MR, LR) and different only on Performance (stealth, non-stealth)?

1044488-00-A = 16mm RSB
1044485-00-A = 19.6mm RSB

Re an alternative - Eibach now also offers front/rear sways.
Effectively the same price point as the competition and a but harder to source online.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/ho...n/electrified-handling-tesla-model-3-upgrades

Can anyone confirm if the stock Rear Swaybar on the AWD and Performance cars is the same,
or is it the same on the non-Performance cars (SR, MR, LR) and different only on Performance (stealth, non-stealth)?

1044488-00-A = 16mm RSB
1044485-00-A = 19.6mm RSB

Front on Performance is 29mm; rear is 16mm.

Re an alternative - Eibach now also offers front/rear sways.
Effectively the same price point as the competition and a but harder to source online.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/ho...n/electrified-handling-tesla-model-3-upgrades

No they don't. They disappeared off their website after being on "pre-order" for months. What happened the the Eibach sway bars?

I also had the same rubbing problem. I came across the issue yesterday and moved to the middle setting this morning. In my case the rubbing is more apparent on the right lower control arm. Having the bar set to the middle seems like it will fix the problem.

Once @MountainPass comes to market with sway bars I will purchase those and sell these bars.

I also had the same rubbing problem. I came across the issue yesterday and moved to the middle setting this morning. In my case the rubbing is more apparent on the right lower control arm. Having the bar set to the middle seems like it will fix the problem.

Once @MountainPass comes to market with sway bars I will purchase those and sell these bars.

Funny. A feature for tuning understeer and oversteer is now used for managing part interference. With the swaybar, somebody definitely forgot to account for the variability in tolerance of mass-manufactured parts. :D

Maybe they should include a free angle grinder option to the UPP sways. I’m one of the lucky ones that have it set soft front and medium rear without rubbing. Good luck with getting a response soon to your questions and emails. Took them 6 months to ship out my lip spooler and I only got free shipping for the long wait and excuses for the delay.

If I knew MPP had some sways in the works I would have waited.