Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched my M3 order to MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the M3 (SR+ with FSD) a few months ago requesting to delay delivery until September since my Bolt lease is up in October. I had been getting the texts from Tesla that I needed to complete the financing portion of my profile to take delivery. I was second guessing my decision to trade off range for FSD and contacted my salesperson at Tesla about changing to LR and she said I could still take delivery in September if I changed my order. Then I asked if I ordered the MY could I also take delivery in September and she said yes.

Well, I drove to Tesla in Costa Mesa to test drive the MY and then test drove the M3 right after and that sealed the deal. So include me among the many that have switched from M3 to MY.

I went with white with white interior and the Gemini wheels. I looked into powder coating them and found a place that will do it for $75/wheel. Has anyone else had this done? I saw the video of the guy who painted his own wheels, but haven't seen where anyone had theirs powder coated.

Reactions: Reborn
I ordered the M3 (SR+ with FSD) a few months ago requesting to delay delivery until September since my Bolt lease is up in October. I had been getting the texts from Tesla that I needed to complete the financing portion of my profile to take delivery. I was second guessing my decision to trade off range for FSD and contacted my salesperson at Tesla about changing to LR and she said I could still take delivery in September if I changed my order. Then I asked if I ordered the MY could I also take delivery in September and she said yes.

Well, I drove to Tesla in Costa Mesa to test drive the MY and then test drove the M3 right after and that sealed the deal. So include me among the many that have switched from M3 to MY.

I went with white with white interior and the Gemini wheels. I looked into powder coating them and found a place that will do it for $75/wheel. Has anyone else had this done? I saw the video of the guy who painted his own wheels, but haven't seen where anyone had theirs powder coated.
Was it just the need for extra space?

Was it just the need for extra space?

The biggest thing for me is that it's higher than the M3. I have a disability and it's easier to get in and out of the MY. I also like that it rides higher and has better visibility overall than the M3 (with the exception of the view out the back from the rear view mirror). The extra space is a nice bonus.

Did they simply transfer your $100 order fee to the MY? Interested in doing the same thing, but curious if I lose out the $100 order fee on the M3.

Congrats, we had done the same thing except we had a Volt. I test drove the 3 and was impressed. Decided to go back to Tesla Store, show it to wife and order. While there we went through the Y which had just come in and we swapped over. Nice part was that price dropped 3K a couple of days later.

I had the wheels on my M3 powder coated gloss black and they look great.

Congrats!! The Y is super handy for getting in and out of, especially if you're tall or just need easier access. I came from a Truck and the M3 was just not an option. The extra cargo room is a big plus as is the seamless glass roof! Just make sure to get zero deductible glass coverage from your insurance...should be fairly cheap as an add on.

I watched this video and I think the Bolt, for its price and size, has a lot going for it. How did you like it?

I had owned a Volt before and the Bolt is a decent vehicle IF it were about 10K cheaper. It's just not up to par with the Model 3 even though it costs about the same. However, you can get occasional sales and rebates, you can make deals on both the car and trades, you can buy in stock vehicles more easily, you can call customer service and speak to a human, you can get service easily and nearby, you can buy parts easily, you won't have to take it or leave it at pickup, they answer emails and chats, no restriction on 100% charging, etc.

I have had 3 Volts over the years. I looked at the Bolt the last time I leased my Volt. The Bolt is a nice car but GM is not committed to EV’s and they treat them as secondary. Tesla Is cutting edge and sure with some drawbacks but to me it is worth it. My Volt lease is up in a few months and timing it with a MY.

Reactions: Impaler
Why, why, why would anyone seriously consider the Chevrolet Bolt? Just say no, emphatically, to Chevrolet. Why couldn't they come out with an all-electric Camaro for goodness sake???

Brent

Doug DeMuro liked a lot about it - and they're selling super cheap. I think someone that wanted a EV but didn't have the money for an expensive Tesla would be the right buyer. They're highly discounted right now. I'm not saying it's anywhere near a Tesla in so many ways, but competition is good for consumers.

Bolts are cheap but you get what you pay for. It doesn't have adaptive cruise control. When they have a SuperCruise option in the Premier trim, I'll think about it... but until then, cheap cheap cheap. I swear, the legacy auto manufacturers are making these things bad on purpose to keep you getting a combustion car.

I watched this video and I think the Bolt, for its price and size, has a lot going for it. How did you like it?

I like it a lot. Despite some of the replies above, it has been a solid car, fun and easy to drive, and the 240 mile range has served me well. Is it sexy and high tech like the Tesla? Of course not. But since the M3 wasn't available when I leased my Bolt (and I couldn't wait for the M3), then it was the easy choice. I do wish it had adaptive cruise control, and the seats could be more comfortable, but it's a really good EV. It feels much more like a traditional car than the Tesla, of course. That said, I can't wait to get my Model Y!