Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching From Model S P100D To Model X, 100D, Can I Add Performance In The Future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, my wife and I are moving from a model S P100D to a model X 100D. It is just going to be more practical for us since we travel a lot and take our Amazon Parrot with us most of the time. In addition I use a wheelchair so grossing g it I. The hatch of the model S with suitcases and other gear can get tight on extra space.

I love the performance side of our model S. I would like to just get the P100D in the X but decided to wait. I don't use the performance side of the car that much but love to have the power when needed.

So, can I buy a model X 100D and add the performance side at a later date? I thought the performance was done through the software? Or, are the electric motors different in the model X P100D -VS- 100D.

Thanks.

You used to be able to order the Performance model and not get the Ludicrous upgrade (~10k). But it appears if you custom order, Ludicrous is not included in the Performance model. You may be able to find a non-ludicrous P100D (not sure when they made this change) or definitely a non-ludicrous P90D.

As the title says, my wife and I are moving from a model S P100D to a model X 100D. It is just going to be more practical for us since we travel a lot and take our Amazon Parrot with us most of the time. In addition I use a wheelchair so grossing g it I. The hatch of the model S with suitcases and other gear can get tight on extra space.

I love the performance side of our model S. I would like to just get the P100D in the X but decided to wait. I don't use the performance side of the car that much but love to have the power when needed.

So, can I buy a model X 100D and add the performance side at a later date? I thought the performance was done through the software? Or, are the electric motors different in the model X P100D -VS- 100D.

Thanks.

I'm hoping our normal bird cages (double yellow Amazon and rose breasted Cockatoo) will fit in the X but I haven't tried them. But that's just to take them to the MIL's house so she can pet sit. Haven
t taken them on a vacation yet!

I came from a Porsche 911 that was close to 5 seconds 0-60. My non-P X is probably a little faster, so it has more than enough acceleration for me. It's always "nice" to have more, but not at that price.

You used to be able to order the Performance model and not get the Ludicrous upgrade (~10k). But it appears if you custom order, Ludicrous is not included in the Performance model. You may be able to find a non-ludicrous P100D (not sure when they made this change) or definitely a non-ludicrous P90D.
Thanks, I will talk to Tesla about possibilities of a non ludicrous P100D. I wish they would offer an in between model. It would sit between the P100D and 100D. Just like most sporty ice cars there are several option levels on engine performance. So, Tesla could offer a S100D, S standing for sport.

P100D X = 0-60 in 2.9 Seconds (upgrade cost about $30k for Ludicrous)

100D X = 0-60 in 4.7 Seconds

S100D = 0-60 in 3.6 Seconds (offer it for something like $10k)

I really think Tesla would find buyers in something like this. I have met plenty of people that wanted a P version of their model S & X but the $30k price tag was just to steep. I have health problems and this is a bucket list item I have wanted before I am not able to drive anymore or die. So, that is the only reason I went with the P100D version on my model S. If I wasn't in my position, I wouldn't have paid the price to upgrade.

But, by offering an in between model such as a Sport version of the S & X I think they would see a lot of sales from those people that want the P but just can't go that deep into their pockets.

Maybe I am wrong but based on conversations I have had with owners of both model S and X's a fairly high percentage have said they would have been willing to have got an in between model such as an S100D that is after then the 100D but slower then the P100D for a reasonable price.

Sorry if I babbled.....If any Tesla upper management people see this post push this to Elon and see what can be done, LOL.

IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
I'm hoping our normal bird cages (double yellow Amazon and rose breasted Cockatoo) will fit in the X but I haven't tried them. But that's just to take them to the MIL's house so she can pet sit. Haven
t taken them on a vacation yet!

I came from a Porsche 911 that was close to 5 seconds 0-60. My non-P X is probably a little faster, so it has more than enough acceleration for me. It's always "nice" to have more, but not at that price.
That is funny, what are the odds that you own the same fairly rare bird that we do. We have a 15 year old Double Yellow Headed Amazon (male), Ares. They are awesome birds aren't they.

We can fit one of our normal cages in our model S so I think you should be safe in the X. That is one thing I will love, the falcon winged doors will make loading his cage in so much easier. He loves to travel. As we pass cars or cars pass us he will say hello or goodbye to them. Early on the place we got him from told us parrots don't like to travel and get skidish once they get to a new place they don't recognize. They told us to just leave him alone for a day after we arrive and take it easy with him. They couldn't have been more wrong. He eats and plays with his toys in the car. When we arrive at our destination no matter 50 miles away or 500 he wants out of his cage to start playing with us.

If you do try putting your parrots cage in the X could you take a picture and send it to me. I would love to see how it fits. I can send you one of us with his cage in the back seat of our S. It is a little tight getting it through the door opening but once in it fits fine.

I am going to be driving the X out to Gilbert AZ where my sister lives. How does your car do in the heat?

Thank You,

Bill

View attachment 234293 View attachment 234294 View attachment 234295
That is funny, what are the odds that you own the same fairly rare bird that we do. We have a 15 year old Double Yellow Headed Amazon (male), Ares. They are awesome birds aren't they.

We can fit one of our normal cages in our model S so I think you should be safe in the X. That is one thing I will love, the falcon winged doors will make loading his cage in so much easier. He loves to travel. As we pass cars or cars pass us he will say hello or goodbye to them. Early on the place we got him from told us parrots don't like to travel and get skidish once they get to a new place they don't recognize. They told us to just leave him alone for a day after we arrive and take it easy with him. They couldn't have been more wrong. He eats and plays with his toys in the car. When we arrive at our destination no matter 50 miles away or 500 he wants out of his cage to start playing with us.

If you do try putting your parrots cage in the X could you take a picture and send it to me. I would love to see how it fits. I can send you one of us with his cage in the back seat of our S. It is a little tight getting it through the door opening but once in it fits fine.

I am going to be driving the X out to Gilbert AZ where my sister lives. How does your car do in the heat?

Thank You,

Bill

Our Amazon is about 35. A little less yellow down the neck.

No plans to put the cages in the X in the foreseeable future. Looked like I could get one across the 2nd row, but probably too long for the cargo area. A fold down 2nd row might have been nice.

No problem in the heat, though the white interior helps.