Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Symptoms of 12v Battery Failing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X100D is a June 2018 build. Got in this morning and got some weird symptoms:
- hazard flashers gong
- car turning off/on (mirrors folding/unfolding)
- all console warning lights on
- would not go into drive

i tried rebooting and no change, same symptoms. Took alternate car for an errand. On return, X seemed normal, started and took for a test drive, no issues.

So, do these issues indicate 12v is failing? It’s still the original battery.

The general life of the 12V battery is 2 to 4 years. you will be lucky to get 4 years, so you need to make a choice whether you want to replace it on a proactive basis. if you do it before the battery fails , even if it is under warranty , Tesla will not pay for the replacement and labor

Upvote 0
My X100D is a June 2018 build. Got in this morning and got some weird symptoms:
- hazard flashers gong
- car turning off/on (mirrors folding/unfolding)
- all console warning lights on
- would not go into drive
i tried rebooting and no change, same symptoms. Took alternate car for an errand. On return, X seemed normal, started and took for a test drive, no issues.
So, do these issues indicate 12v is failing? It’s still the original battery.
That error pattern does not really scream 12v battery problem. The normal method is an explicit replace 12v battery soon warning message. My 2015 S (leased), was turned in at 3 years with the original 12v battery intact. My June 2018 X blew me the 12v replace me message early this year. So about 30 months. Based upon my experience, you are probably near the end of life. But wait for replace me message. It is a warranty item.

It would have been good to have opened a service ticket at the time. Service Center can log in to the car and check the logs for errors.

Upvote 0
My battery just died on its too while the car was on the charger. What a hassle! I have to ship my car to a country where Tesla operates (from Kuwait to UAE) just to replace the 12V battery. That's a $1000 shipping charge for a small issue which cannot be done by myself.

Scary experience. The vehicle kind of got bricked till it reaches Tesla.

Car is 1 year and 10 months old, 35000KM - Model X 2019 model. Absolutely no symptoms of any failing battery.

Upvote 0