Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC and the Accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
I don't have any experience with Adaptive Cruise, and I was thinking about it during my drive home yesterday and had some questions that I haven't seen answers for yet. Developing answers outside of a lab environment could be dangerous in some cases, and I'm not asking people to experiment - hopefully folks already know the answers. :)

With normal cruise control, when you hit the accelerator while under cruise the car accelerates as normal, and continues to drive like it wasn't on cruise until it slows back down to the set point.

Does the car respond to the accelerator when TACC is engaged but there's no traffic ahead? What if it sees a car but isn't locked into following distance?

Does the car accelerate when you hit the pedal and it has a car that it's following at the set distance? If so, does the Automatic Emergency Braking or TACC kick in and slow you back down at some point? (This is the part that would be dangerous to experiment with.)
Walter

The TACC responds to the accelerator the same way as conventional cruise control. Manual operation of the accelerator overrides the following distance. As soon as you let up on the accelerator the car will resume the set following distance. AEB operates independent of TACC and would kick in if the car senses an imminent collision. I had this nearly happen once when I was overriding TACC and a car cut close in front of me and slowed down. The red collision warning came on but I hit the brakes before AEB did. I assume it would have had I not.