Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC jumpiness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my radarless SR Y yesterday. In stop and go traffic, the TACC is very jumpy, it punches the gas very strongly when the car in front barely moves, and then very aggressively regen breaks immediately after. This was making me sick so I drove manually. Chill mode didn't seem to help, and neither did adjusting follow distance.

Any ideas on settings to adjust this behavior? Is this behavior normal for the radar cars as well, or is this a growing pain for all vision?

Reactions: RNHurt
I typically find that my car doesn't accelerate fast enough when the car in front goes faster, or when I change lanes. I need to push the accelerator to give it a hint. Now, feelings are very personal so it's hard to say if you would find my car slow or fast. I'm not a patient person.

If you have full self driving equipped, I know there is a setting, at least for lane changes, with a "mad max" option. Maybe that also affects acceleration rate? I don't have FSD so I can't control that...

Reactions: cjxmtn
Yes it's just the traffic aware cruise control
I typically find that my car doesn't accelerate fast enough when the car in front goes faster, or when I change lanes. I need to push the accelerator to give it a hint. Now, feelings are very personal so it's hard to say if you would find my car slow or fast. I'm not a patient person.

If you have full self driving equipped, I know there is a setting, at least for lane changes, with a "mad max" option. Maybe that also affects acceleration rate? I don't have FSD so I can't control that...
Within half a second my car accelerates and immediately brakes. I'm also not patient but this is too much for me.

After 6 months with my MYLR, I've determined that I'll NEVER use any cruise control/TACC in traffic. It's...just...too...erratic, and makes me very nervous.

So since you have been dealing with this for 6 months, that shows that if you view this as a problem, at least these problems plague the radar equipped cars as well, not a "pure vision" problem. Thanks for that insight :)

Keith

I'm just saying that there's a possibility that TACC is affected by the Autopilot/fsd settings. Just look in there in case you can change the behavior.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I don't have FSD. Just wish there were a setting for a fuzzy follow distance in traffic, such as maintaining between 1 and 3 car lengths, so it doesn't need to constantly and rapidly accelerate and brake to maintain the fixed follow distance.

So since you have been dealing with this for 6 months, that shows that if you view this as a problem, at least these problems plague the radar equipped cars as well, not a "pure vision" problem. Thanks for that insight :)

Keith
I wasn't clear. I stopped using TACC in traffic many months ago. It just made me nervous. I have no idea if the radar delete has changed anything, as I hadn't been currently using it.
Hope this makes sense.

I find TACC is OK in traffic, but it waits too long before accelerating and braking, and then applies too much of either. I do feel comfortable that it will stop the car in time, just wish it would do it more gradually. Too bad the forward-facing camera can't read the "signals" from brake lights in front, in order to be ready to react sooner. In my opinion, everything in the automation of this car has the gain set too high. A human driver allows following distance to grow and shrink a bit but autopilot tries too hard to follow the target value. It's the same for lane guidance - it's far too strict about staying in the middle of the lane. Hopefully Tesla's goal is to make autopilot perform the same as a human driver, and will continue to make progress with ongoing software improvements.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I don't have FSD. Just wish there were a setting for a fuzzy follow distance in traffic, such as maintaining between 1 and 3 car lengths, so it doesn't need to constantly and rapidly accelerate and brake to maintain the fixed follow distance.
Click the right scroll wheel left and right to change the follow distance there are 6 settings, I believe. Maybe you have it set too aggressively.

Click the right scroll wheel left and right to change the follow distance there are 6 settings, I believe. Maybe you have it set too aggressively.
It's not the problem, I usually keep it around 6 car lengths.

Normal human drivers don't attempt to rigidly keep a fixed car length in traffic. They let the car in front of them accelerate, increasing the distance to a few car lengths, then gradually brake when the car in front stops, going back to a ~1 car distance. The TACC software always tries to maintain the fixed follow distance, which isn't ideal in bumper to bumper traffic.

Reactions: Jeff N
I also found the TACC behaves more aggressively than my liking to give me confidence on it, especially when I'm less than a week into the ownership. It may also depends on the driver - I'm always nervous when sitting on a roller coaster and this TACC gives me the flashbacks.

I live in the mountains, and using TACC is problematic. It will aggressively slow from 60 to 35, even 30 for a curve that I would normally hit at 60 and doesn't speed up until it's out of the turn. Which means all cars behind me are expecting to hit it at 60 also and at some point I'm going to get hit from behind. I have learned to tap the accelerator and it will speed in to the turn. Also when I come to stop signs it will stop way too far back and inch slowly to the line so I have to manually force it to get to the line quicker.

Reactions: maus92
mad max mode for lane changes feel like normal lane changes to me. The normal mode it will sit with the blinker on for a while then slowly move over, mad max it will put the blinker on then move intently in to the lane if it's free. Much better and safer imho.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
I live in the mountains, and using TACC is problematic. It will aggressively slow from 60 to 35, even 30 for a curve that I would normally hit at 60 and doesn't speed up until it's out of the turn. Which means all cars behind me are expecting to hit it at 60 also and at some point I'm going to get hit from behind. I have learned to tap the accelerator and it will speed in to the turn. Also when I come to stop signs it will stop way too far back and inch slowly to the line so I have to manually force it to get to the line quicker.

That sounds horrible! Does it only do this with AP active, or does it do it with just TACC active? I wouldn't think a curve was "traffic" that the TACC would compensate for... but I can see it slowing down if it is doing the steering as well. I assume we don't have an option of "dumb" cruise control do we?

Keith

That sounds horrible! Does it only do this with AP active, or does it do it with just TACC active? I wouldn't think a curve was "traffic" that the TACC would compensate for... but I can see it slowing down if it is doing the steering as well. I assume we don't have an option of "dumb" cruise control do we?

Keith
I don't really use AP up here in the mountains, it keeps trying to move me in to oncoming traffic on certain roads. Just too dangerous in the current build. But yeah this is on TACC without AP.