Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC programming error or feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love that when I engage TACC at say 30mph when the speed limit is 45, the system commands a cruise speed of 45. That's great. I also love that I can set a speed limit warning offset to +5, so that I can drive manually at about the speed limit without being constantly badgered by chimes when I exceed the limit by 1-5mph. That's awesome and it encourages me to drive sensibly.

However.... if I decide to set the speed limit warning offset to +5 there is a problem with cruise control: now when I engage TACC, the system commands speed limit +5. That's not good for me. Maybe it works for others, but I still want the cruise control to command the speed limit, and have the warning activate at limit +5. As a work-around, I have to engage TACC then right thumb wheel back 5mph to command the speed limit. I can do it with one big flick of the wheel, but it's an extra step and it's annoying.

I wish I could command one offset for the speed limit warning and another for the commanded cruise speed. I would then set the speed limit warning offset to +5 and the commanded offset to zero.

Is there a setting I am missing that would allow me to do this, or is it a limitation of the current software? How could I request this change from Tesla? Am I just being picky? Do I need to get a life and just enjoy my amazing new car rather than worry about tiny things? (Just pre-empting the troll responses.)

BTW I am totally in love with my new car. Upgraded from a Prius (which I loved, great car) but this is a total game changer.

It's not an error - TACC has worked that way since it was first enabled.

I'm not sure if it's the best choice, or not. I can see how folks might sometimes want two separate choices, but I think most of the time, the highest speed I want to be going to also the highest I'd want the car going for me, which is what the TACC set speed is.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to the limit warning, especially in the current AP3 version where all the limits are coming from a database that's maybe 85-90% accurate in my experience. So I just set the offset where I want TACC to default, set the limit warning to just the bigger image on screen, and go merrily on my way.

I'm just learning how it works, what exactly do you mean by this?

It's been long enough that I'll have to go look, but as I recall you have a few options for how intrusive you want the speed limit warning to be when it triggers - a chime and maybe something more?

Edit: just looked. Here's my AP settings screen:

IMG_2941.JPG

In the middle is the Speed limit warning - OFF/Display/Chime. In Display, all it does is make the limit bigger for several seconds when it passes.

Last edited:
It's been long enough that I'll have to go look, but as I recall you have a few options for how intrusive you want the speed limit warning to be when it triggers - a chime and maybe something more?

Edit: just looked. Here's my AP settings screen:

View attachment 432336

In the middle is the Speed limit warning - OFF/Display/Chime. In Display, all it does is make the limit bigger for several seconds when it passes.

Ah ok, I'll give that a try.

I don't like ignoring warning beeps and chirps etc, because you just condition yourself to ignore them and they become useless background noise that just makes the whole experience less zen. Thanks