Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

(moderator note)

This is one more warning that anything that looks like vendor activity (without being a vendor) is likely to both bring bans and / or get this thread locked. This will be the last warning I make in this thread without taking some form of action.

Re surfacing this, so if this thread ends up locked people will know why. Its been a while since this warming was posted, so here it is one last time. Nothing that looks like sales without being a vendor should be discussed.

Had my car in for service today and tried to get the service techs to update my car to the global (non-US Spec) setting for the tail lights and they said it isn't possible but maybe a future update. Really want to get the Alpharex lights w/amber but not crazy about having to use an adapter. I have the 4 pin/4 wire connector on my 3, so it looks like I will have to keep hoping for a retro option from Alpharex or Tesla.

Had my car in for service today and tried to get the service techs to update my car to the global (non-US Spec) setting for the tail lights and they said it isn't possible but maybe a future update. Really want to get the Alpharex lights w/amber but not crazy about having to use an adapter. I have the 4 pin/4 wire connector on my 3, so it looks like I will have to keep hoping for a retro option from Alpharex or Tesla.
Tesla will do it for you if you book a service request. I asked and they said they could for $1200 I think (+\- $150)

Tesla will do it for you if you book a service request. I asked and they said they could for $1200 I think (+\- $150)

That's more than double of what it costs to do outside of the service centers. 2022 Model Y tails can be purchased for about 250 for a set and aftermarket adapter harness was less than that. It can be swapped over for less than 500 and plug and play without any software changes. Granted this was for Pre-2021 cars from 3 pin to 4 pin.

That's more than double of what it costs to do outside of the service centers. 2022 Model Y tails can be purchased for about 250 for a set and aftermarket adapter harness was less than that. It can be swapped over for less than 500 and plug and play without any software changes. Granted this was for Pre-2021 cars from 3 pin to 4 pin.
I was told newer cars don’t even need adapters so it’s just a software update

Right but regardless of software, the output signal would still be going to the same place.
Not if the software doesn’t send the right signal?

It physically plugs in, but is not “plug and play” because it does not function properly without modification (either changing software or with an adapter of some kind).

North American cars are programmed in software to use the turn signal for both brake and turn functions. So if you plug in a tail light with amber signals the amber will light up every time you brake.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Adam3
Not if the software doesn’t send the right signal?

It physically plugs in, but is not “plug and play” because it does not function properly without modification (either changing software or with an adapter of some kind).

North American cars are programmed in software to use the turn signal for both brake and turn functions. So if you plug in a tail light with amber signals the amber will light up every time you brake.
The new Model 3 tails use the outers as braking like the Model Y instead of the previous red center strip in the outer tails. Rest of world tails have 2 sections in the strip where one is red and turning was amber.

I think someone should give it a try to run the model y tails with the 4 pin.

The new Model 3 tails use the outers as braking like the Model Y instead of the previous red center strip in the outer tails. Rest of world tails have 2 sections in the strip where one is red and turning was amber.

I think someone should give it a try to run the model y tails with the 4 pin.
Global Model 3 tail lights have switched to Model Y design since like 2021.

It’s not plug and play. Different software setting.

The adapters being discussed/sold are 4 pin to 4 pin. So if it were just plug and play the existence of such adapters would not be needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3
My adapters are 3 pin to 4 pin which I have installed in my model 3. That's besides the point.

Is the software primarily to allow the usage of the rear fogs which we never got in the US?

What 3 pin to 4 pin adapters? For the inner lights?
The video is for euro cars and it's wrong - "2022 version" was from ~07.21 production in fact (china LWR VINs)