Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

It connects between factory connector and taillight. Then blocks unwanted light-up of amber turn when you brakes but always pass "real" turn signal.
I’ve been looking for something like this! I installed aftermarket rear reflectors but was debating taking them off because it gets triggered on brake signals, causing an animation that could be confusing while braking. If that’s what it accomplishes I think it would actually solve that problem without having to run a wire all the way through the car to tap into the side repeaters.

I’ve been looking for something like this! I installed aftermarket rear reflectors but was debating taking them off because it gets triggered on brake signals, causing an animation that could be confusing while braking. If that’s what it accomplishes I think it would actually solve that problem without having to run a wire all the way through the car to tap into the side repeaters.
These aftermarket lights were on of the reason for designing adapters. My friend have had the same problem as you.

It connects between factory connector and taillight. Then blocks unwanted light-up of amber turn when you brakes but always pass "real" turn signal.
This may be a stupid question, but how does this device know a real turn signal impulse vs a brake impulse? I could see it if they tied into each other / especially the CHMSL. but without that I’m lost as to how this works.

Amber turn signals are the only correct turn signals.

Reactions: Ciaopec
This may be a stupid question, but how does this device know a real turn signal impulse vs a brake impulse? I could see it if they tied into each other / especially the CHMSL. but without that I’m lost as to how this works.

Amber turn signals are the only correct turn signals.
Tail Lamps on the early cars only have connectors with three input pins (tail, brake/turn, & ground), but the tail lamp wiring harness provides the CHMSL (third brake light) signal as an unused brake light wire.

So, apparently Nomisal's adapters each use the same logic circuit to pass current from the two harness wires (brake/turn and brake ) on each lamp:
- Brake Light ( both brake/turn and brake wires have 12 volt power )
- Amber Turn Light ( only brake/turn wire has 12 volt power )
- Amber Turn Light & Brake Light both on at same time ( only brake wire has 12 volt power ), but turn signal is delayed (1/2 second) and out of phase with front marker lamps.

The newer lamps require 19 watts for brake lamps and 8 watts for turn lamps, compared with older lamps that only require 5 watts for brake/turn lamps. And the harness wires on the older cars are very thin (0.35mm2 diameter). That is likely why Tesla is not offering retrofit support.

I have a different approach solution to Nomisal's approach. It is also a plug and play harness adapter, but only uses one circuit board (PCB), but requires longer harness adapter to bridge between the two lamps.

Here's the logic diagram (left side is harness, right side current path to lamps) I came up with...

TailLightDecoder1.JPG

And my shoebox breadboard implementing this logic....

TailLightDecoder2.JPG

And that circuit shrinks down to this prototype PCB that still needs some minor circuit tweeking.

TailLightDecoder3.JPG

So, still a work in progress.

Here's a video how adapter works comparing to direct connection of lamp:

- Amber Turn Light & Brake Light both on at same time ( only brake wire has 12 volt power ), but turn signal is delayed (1/2 second) and out of phase with front marker lamps.
No, there's no any "out of phase". Please, watch the video above.

The newer lamps require 19 watts for brake lamps and 8 watts for turn lamps, compared with older lamps that only require 5 watts for brake/turn lamps. And the harness wires on the older cars are very thin (0.35mm2 diameter). That is likely why Tesla is not offering retrofit support.
18 year and 21 year M3s have the same wires (0.35mm2 which is capable for minimum 30watts).

Attachments

• 20211225_204823.jpg
    20211225_204823.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 20211225_204702.jpg
    20211225_204702.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: Pricedm
Dang, where were you before I decided to hack up my wiring 😂. I just installed Model Y tail lamps on my 21 Model 3. Works like a charm using the old wiring method to the side marker, since I did this mod 2 months ago. My Euro Tails are for sale if anyone wants.

No, there's no any "out of phase". Please, watch the video above.

18 year and 21 year M3s have the same wires (0.35mm2 which is capable for minimum 30watts).
I see from your YouTube.com video that they are in sync, but when brake lights applied before activating turn signals, there is a delayed amber turn signal (or missed first blink).

The front amber marker light blinks once without the rear amber light blink, but then syncs with the from light on the next blink. If the turn signal light is on while the brakes are applied (or regen braking), is there any similar amber blackout?

TailLightAdapter1.JPG
TailLightAdapter2.JPG

Nice wheels, but the Euro tail lights must go! Do you have a set of the newer Y tails to install and test yet?

Last edited:
The front amber marker light blinks once without the rear amber light blink, but then syncs with the from light on the next blink. If the turn signal light is on while the brakes are applied (or regen braking), is there any similar amber blackout?
This works exactly as original red blinkers. They just start from "black" if brakes already on. If turn was activated earlier, brakes don't affect it in any way.

Nice wheels, but the Euro tail lights must go! Do you have a set of the newer Y tails to install and test yet?
Yes, I'm planning. M3s from Giga Shanghai have the same. I wanna find good china supplier for them.