Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

So just to update on this, the body side connector does have the rear fog pins wired up. After adding two wires to trunk harness and having someone change the gateway config to enable the rear fogs, they light up.

Cars that have the global taillamps from the factory should already have the wiring in place, in which case it's a config change that's needed to enable them.

View attachment 944219

View attachment 944218
Nice find, but what US-spec's Model 3s come with Global taillights?

Also for future reference, these are the part I used for the wiring:

Inner tail lamp connectors: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/1-1718645-1?qs=GQ3BsEl46pn5IP3vnxx5Aw==

Note: The true OEM part is the DELPHI 35126375, but I could not find a ready source for that anywhere. The TE part above works fine, as do some others. The pins below are compatible with either (and are what's used from the factory)

Pins: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/7-1452665-1?qs=/6W/9/HWvcChVBcv8kIdtw==&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

Pin seal: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/967067-2?qs=0/gE9CgFqPwWBiQ9imEkMg==&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

Trunk harness pins: - Sumitomo | TS025U-SKT3 - Corsa Technic | TS 025 Unsealed Socket Contact

Rear fog lamps are the 4th pin on each connector. Left goes to pin 3 of the trunk harness, right goes to pin 8.

In hindsight I think it would have been easier to remove the harness altogether to run the new wires through, but it can be done with the harness mostly installed in the car.

Alternatively if you can acquire the trunk harness with the part number 2068789-01-B, that should be wired up appropriately.

My car is a 2022 model 3, I suspect the retrofit is possible on model 3s with the power trunk.

Last edited:
Following this thread like a hawk. I have a ‘23 3SR (12/22 manufactured) with the 4 wire harness. Tested the Y tail lights and as expected the brakes light up the turn signal and C brake light. Now to find a source to have it coded as ‘global’. Anybody can help with that?

I haven’t been able to find anyone locally and the SC played like they didn’t know anything about it. If I knew for sure I could do it via TB3 then I’d. e willing to buy the cable and a daily access to diy it, but that is a lot of cash just to try

4 pins

Gnd
Parking
Turn
Brake

Not in that particular order.

The MCU tells the body controller and that tells the brake wire how to behave. In the case of the red blinkers it begins to flash the brake signal for turn. In the case of the amber blinkers it uses the turn wire to flash and brake operates independently. That's the quick version. Hope it helps.
So new Model 3's that have the OEM amber lights have all 4 pins populated? is that how they work properly?

So new Model 3's that have the OEM amber lights have all 4 pins populated? is that how they work properly?
All model 3s ever made have 4 pins populated. But the taillights without the amber taillamps only have 3 pins. So the turn signal pin on US cars without globals also doubles as a brake light pin.

Inner taillights did switch from 3 pin to 4 pin. The extra pin there is for rear fog lights (not enabled on US cars without additional programming)

All model 3s ever made have 4 pins populated. But the taillights without the amber taillamps only have 3 pins. So the turn signal pin on US cars without globals also doubles as a brake light pin.

Inner taillights did switch from 3 pin to 4 pin. The extra pin there is for rear fog lights (not enabled on US cars without additional programming)
IMG_4036.jpeg

From my 23 Model 3, just like you said…3 pins on the outer lamp but 4 wires/connectors for the harness.

Attachments

• IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 73
So In theory could you not just buy the amber tail lights and rewire the harness in the car?
Not really because the car is programmed to use the turn signal as both brake and turn. There’s no easy way to rewire it so the amber turn does not light up with the brake.

The only way is to rewire it so it bypasses the turn signal wire completely from the tail light harness and run power to the tail lamp from the front fender side marker to power the rear turn signal.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶t̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶1̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶T̶e̶s̶l̶o̶g̶i̶c̶ ̶t̶a̶i̶l̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶n̶e̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶i̶l̶a̶b̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶-̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶.̶ ̶ ̶$̶9̶5̶/̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶+̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶y̶.̶

Edit - both have been sold.

Attachments

• 2023-08-08 12.48.50.jpg
    2023-08-08 12.48.50.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3