Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

I just got a set of 2022 model 3 tail lights both inners and outers. For both outers, just plug and play to my 2021 model 3. Inners are the problem, 3 pin on 2021 model and 4 pins for the 2022 lights.

Anyone have a link for me to simple buy an adapter please?

Why did you get 2022 lights for your 2021? They are the same with the red turn signal.

Unless you got European lights, in which case does the brake not turn on the amber turn signal?
Previous poster appears to be in Australia. Perhaps there was a change in taillights that happened between 2021 and 2022 in that market?

There are at least two different kinds of taillights with amber turn signals that could fit physically on a Model 3. On the earlier one, the middle bar was split between a brake lamp and turn signal (this was not used in the US, except in manufacturing mistakes, probably because the size of each of the brake lamp and turn signal was too small for US regulations). On the later one, the entire middle bar is the turn signal, while the brake lamp is the outer portion (as on newer Model Y).

Reactions: E90alex
That's right. 2021 have single reverse light and single fog light (both in the inner tai light l. And the blinker and brake light on the outer.

I much prefer the C brake light and full blinker on the outer, hence I changed it. But the pin doesn't fit for inner (3 pin vs 4 pin for the inner)

Reactions: E90alex
That's right. 2021 have single reverse light and single fog light (both in the inner tai light l. And the blinker and brake light on the outer.

I much prefer the C brake light and full blinker on the outer, hence I changed it. But the pin doesn't fit for inner (3 pin vs 4 pin for the inner)
Didn’t realize you were not in US. I agree the updated lights are way better. The old version had a joke of a turn signal that’s near impossible to see.

For the new inners you can re-pin the vehicle side connector with a 4 pin (see a few posts back for the part number) and you’ll have to run a jumper wire from left to right and right to left for the dual rear fog and dual reverse.

You don’t need a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter or wiring harness. All you need to do is swap the plugs which is quite simple.

Purchase 2 of the following from a vendor of your choice:
  1. TE Connectivity 1-1456426-1
Then swap out the plugs keeping the pins in their respective pin number locations. All you need is a precision flat head screwdriver to pop off the lock and then push the pins out of the old one. Took me less than 5 minutes to swap them out. You can keep the old 3 pin connector if you plan on swapping back sometime later but not needed if you don’t. Cost me about $11 which half of it was for shipping alone.
Good stuff.

Just ordered two of these guys https://www.digikey.com/en/products...-_JgpEXjxTBjtxIIlUXQW04XqXDJWVRS3UdlDT60Bk9-4

Now just need to find a tool to release the wiring from the old plugs. Plus I scored, what I think, to be a sweet deal on 2023 Model Y lights - all four!

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
I was thinking the same thing - can't find any direct evidence on my searches. Interesting note: I had a mobile ranger out to work on something earlier this week, and I asked if she would be able to update my config when I install the new lights. She said that all it would take is going in to Service mode and selecting the Reinstall Software option. She said it should take about 30 minutes and should automatically detect and update for the MY tails. Might be something to try? I'm supposed to receive some takeoff tails in a couple days, so would love to know if this works.

Reactions: Hangerr
So I installed the new outer tails, and as expected, the turn signals light up with the brakes. The ‘new’ brake lights work well though.

Going to go out on a limb here: if I purchased a daily subscription to toolbox 3 Tesla Service does anything think that will give me enough ‘permissions’ to change the tails to Global in the programming?
At least the last time I checked (~2 months ago), the "public" version of the toolbox did not have sufficient privileges to change most items in the vehicle configuration, including taillamp type

I was thinking the same thing - can't find any direct evidence on my searches. Interesting note: I had a mobile ranger out to work on something earlier this week, and I asked if she would be able to update my config when I install the new lights. She said that all it would take is going in to Service mode and selecting the Reinstall Software option. She said it should take about 30 minutes and should automatically detect and update for the MY tails. Might be something to try? I'm supposed to receive some takeoff tails in a couple days, so would love to know if this works.
I seriously doubt that will work as the configuration is tied to dealer-installed options/VIN. So whatever it downloads/installs will be whatever was originally tied to the VIN.
At least the last time I checked (~2 months ago), the "public" version of the toolbox did not have sufficient privileges to change most items in the vehicle configuration, including taillamp type
Somehow I thought so. I wishfully wanted to think otherwise, but ...yeah.

Thanks for trying. So to understand current behavior with the Y tails; both 'C' and amber signals light up for both braking and indicating? My lights just arrived, so want to ensure I know what to expect without an updated config.
So the Cs are on low for running lights and bright for brakes. The turn signals work as turns and as brakes.

Did you get the inner/trunk mounted lights as well?