Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take my 17MX today, question on Sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my delivery today, it was fatalistic, I will report it later. Quick question on sentry mode. Since this car is 3/17, it should on MCU1 and it does not have sentry mode, but why did I see it on my app, and it can be turned on and showed recording on the 17 inch screen? See the picture I took. Anyone knows what’s the deal? Is it upgraded to MCU2 already?

Attachments

• 1A8F5701-C147-49CC-97E6-37508B491337.jpg
    1A8F5701-C147-49CC-97E6-37508B491337.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 91
  • CE420960-5172-4162-8F0D-73374517A5D0.jpeg
    CE420960-5172-4162-8F0D-73374517A5D0.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 86
Hi Hwood,

You are running fairly old software in the car.
If you show a picture of the "additional vehicle information"
on the software screen, that will tell what hardware is installed in your car.

To be able to see the additional vehicle information,
Your car must be on firmware 2020.4.1 or later...
Judging by the "HAL" picture on sentry, I think you are on older software...
Please show the picture of additional vehicle information and we will
be able to help more...

Shawn

Reactions: Hwood
Hi Hwood,

You are running fairly old software in the car.
If you show a picture of the "additional vehicle information"
on the software screen, that will tell what hardware is installed in your car.

To be able to see the additional vehicle information,
Your car must be on firmware 2020.4.1 or later...
Judging by the "HAL" picture on sentry, I think you are on older software...
Please show the picture of additional vehicle information and we will
be able to help more...

Shawn
Thanks Shawn, I saw the software updates is there, I’m going to update it later and post there. Also I got a schedule appointment msg from Tesla app to remind me to get my FSD retrofit.

Hi Hwood,

That is good news...
A reminder to do your FSD upgrade is the best news.

Good luck - I really enjoy the current HW3

Shawn
Thanks Shawn. I updated the software and the design looked different now, see the pic I took. But how can I use it? I mean where to save the files? As far as I know only MCU2 has sentry recording, am I missing something?

Attachments

• 2AFE95EC-BC0E-40D2-AF6A-D6D4CB855B00.jpeg
    2AFE95EC-BC0E-40D2-AF6A-D6D4CB855B00.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Shawn. I updated the software and the design looked different now, see the pic I took. But how can I use it? I mean where to save the files? As far as I know only MCU2 has sentry recording, am I missing something?

I have an mcu1/AP2 model X. The sentry mode still monitors and displays it's recording, but it is not actually recording. I think it can activate, for example if someone enters your car, but it doesn't record. I believe it can alert you in the app though if it goes off. Also it activates switched power I believe so if you had your own dashcam, if it powers on fast enough it can record. (Sorry wife drives X so I don't know the full details).

Sentry mode on MCU1/AP2 does not actually record video, but it does all the other things, such as blinking the headlights at people that are in front of your car when parked.
I have the IRO dashcam installed and it is recording continuously when Sentry mode is on.

• Informative
Additional Info.jpg Additional Info.jpg Hi Hwood,

Yes, you are missing something.... Hardware 3.0 for the FSD.
This does the processing on the video so you are able to record it.
Without the FSD or HW3 you will be unable to record the video in the
car with the TeslaCam - It does not exist without the upgrade...

After the upgrade, you are able to install a USB drive in the outlets
in the console - The car will now also initialize them for you, if you want it to...

Get that upgrade - You WILL be HAPPY!

Shawn

PS - I have shown below the panel we need to see.
It is the list of your installed equipment.

Additional Info.jpg

View attachment 551416 View attachment 551416 Hi Hwood,

Yes, you are missing something.... Hardware 3.0 for the FSD.
This does the processing on the video so you are able to record it.
Without the FSD or HW3 you will be unable to record the video in the
car with the TeslaCam - It does not exist without the upgrade...

After the upgrade, you are able to install a USB drive in the outlets
in the console - The car will now also initialize them for you, if you want it to...

Get that upgrade - You WILL be HAPPY!

Shawn

PS - I have shown below the panel we need to see.
It is the list of your installed equipment.

View attachment 551416
Thank you for your reply Shawn, mine is MCU1 with AP2. Question is if you just upgrade HW3.0 without MCU2, not sure if Sentry mode with thrums drive file saving will work...

Sentry mode on MCU1/AP2 does not actually record video, but it does all the other things, such as blinking the headlights at people that are in front of your car when parked.
I have the IRO dashcam installed and it is recording continuously when Sentry mode is on.

Gaston, what’s IRO dashcam? Do you mind sharing? Thanks!

Thank you for your reply Shawn, mine is MCU1 with AP2. Question is if you just upgrade HW3.0 without MCU2, not sure if Sentry mode with thrums drive file saving will work...

Yes AP3 hardware upgrade with MCU1 enables saving sentry mode video to thumb drive it's been confirmed!

You also see traffic lights + stop lines on the drivers display but not cones.

This makes upgrading to MCU2 much less tempting, as for $2500 the main additional features are games and YouTube which my phone/iPad does a much better job anyways.

MCU2 will not fail as quickly as MCU1 due to the memory rewrite issues though, so if you are out of warranty worth considering anyways purely based on that point alone.

Our 2017 X still has over 12 months of warranty left, I plan to get the AP3 hardware fitted first than decided later on if I want the MCU2 retrofit.

• Informative
Yes AP3 hardware upgrade with MCU1 enables saving sentry mode video to thumb drive it's been confirmed!

This makes upgrading to MCU2 much less tempting, as for $2500 the main additional features are games and YouTube which my phone/iPad does a much better job anyways.

MCU2 will not fail as quickly as MCU1 due to the memory rewrite issues though, so if you are out of warranty worth considering anyways purely based on that point alone.

Our 2017 X still has over 12 months of warranty left, I plan to get the AP3 hardware fitted first than decided later on if I want the MCU2 retrofit.
Thanks, I have scheduled ap3.0 retrofit. Not decide I need to get MCU2 yet. Since I just picked my car last week, still have 4 years warranty on it. Should be in a good shape.

Biggest change with MCU2 is speed. All displays in the car are considerably faster. From maps to navigation to having a web browser that does not time out and actually sort of works. Since these are things you see all the time, I think the upgrade would be well worth the $2500.

After the test drive of the Model X in January 2018 I was very concerned I made a mistake when I ordered the car because of how slow the displays updated and reacted to touches. Luckily, our car was delivered 4 months later in May 2018 and Tesla switched over to MCU 2 in March of 2018.

• Informative