Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking Model 3 AWD on the beach (Spare tire? Concerns?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping to receive my Model 3 AWD next week (after a month of delays).

Currently living at the beach with the opportunity to buy a pass to be able to drive-on during the off-season (Cya tourists!).

Scrolling through YouTube, I've only seen videos of Model X's driving around, and haven't found anything in the search of these forums.

Question(s) #1: Is this a bad idea? Any concerns or objections to this? Go for it? Please call me a fool if I'm a fool to want to do this.

Question #2: 1 requirement the beach patrol requires, is having a spare tire. I'm aware the Model 3 does not come with a spare tire. Is there a recommend spare tire to purchase? Chose the 18 inch Aeros.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to finally being a part of the family.

...Any concerns or objections to this...

All Tesla cars from Roadster, S, X, and 3 are not meant for off-road driving including a beach.

My concerns would be an excessive sand accumulation which might cause some problems.

Salt water is not very friendly to metals in general.

Driving into water might cause dislodgement of your bumpers.

There might be other concerns that I haven't thought about.

...spare tire...

Maybe you can buy a standard Model 3 tire to serve as your spare tire or just go to any local tire store and ask for a generic standard one.

If you don't like a standard size and want a more compact spare tire, maybe you can look for:

https://modernspare.com/search-page/?make=8&model=23&syear=204&cfm=Tesla&cfmo=Model 3&cfy=2018

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Hoping to receive my Model 3 AWD next week (after a month of delays).

Currently living at the beach with the opportunity to buy a pass to be able to drive-on during the off-season (Cya tourists!).

Scrolling through YouTube, I've only seen videos of Model X's driving around, and haven't found anything in the search of these forums.

Question(s) #1: Is this a bad idea? Any concerns or objections to this? Go for it? Please call me a fool if I'm a fool to want to do this.

Question #2: 1 requirement the beach patrol requires, is having a spare tire. I'm aware the Model 3 does not come with a spare tire. Is there a recommend spare tire to purchase? Chose the 18 inch Aeros.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to finally being a part of the family.

Um, you'll need a tire jack too, no? Or will they assume if you have a mini-tire, you've got the means to change a flat tire?

All Tesla cars from Roadster, S, X, and 3 are not meant for off-road driving including a beach.

My concerns would be an excessive sand accumulation which might cause some problems.

Salt water is not very friendly to metals in general.

Driving into water might cause dislodgement of your bumpers.

Sand may be the only thing I'd truly be concerned about. Would likely only drive on around the low tide time anyway, so hard sand most of the beach. No intentions of driving into the water, staying at a reasonable distance at all times. If it wasn't for the videos I'd already seen online, I wouldn't even think about doing it.

Um, you'll need a tire jack too, no? Or will they assume if you have a mini-tire, you've got the means to change a flat tire?

Yes I need a jack too, but that I can get easily. Was more unsure of the idea of a spare tire for a car that doesn't come with one to begin with.

Yes I need a jack too, but that I can get easily. Was more unsure of the idea of a spare tire for a car that doesn't come with one to begin with.
Keep in mind the jackpoint is a very small and particular target that you do NOT want to miss. It's also only about 5.5" or so of clearance to get other it on level ground, so you'd need to be sure you could get under it reliably (or bring a shovel for digging? LOL). That's the biggest thing here anyway. There isn't much clearance on the Model 3, it wouldn't take much to accidentally highpoint on a ridge of sand and start dragging away at the aerodynamic panels underneath.

That and the idea of there potentially being salt dried on the sand and then it getting on the steel portions of the car, that would give me the willies.

I’m crazy confused about the spare tire requirement. How do you get a flat driving on sand?
A heavy, low ground clearance car with finicky jackpoints driving on sand? What could go wrong?
Who knows how the traction control would respond. Probably not one of their test cases.
If you’re serious about a spare you really should get a full size one. Driving on sand requires maximum surface area.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have an FJ cruiser. I don't know the condition of the beaches that you'll be driving on, but I see pickup trucks stuck all the time. I would absolutely not take a 3 on the beach unless you know that you'll be on rock hard sand the whole time. I promise you'll bottom out.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
It's a heavy vehicle with low profile tires, and not much travel, concern would be getting stuck pretty easily, and landing the battery pack / frame on the sand. Then not having a good tow or jack point to get unstuck. Lower your tire pressure! Tow strap through the wheels might be the only way to get out :(