Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this on the 986forum when I needed help justifying buying a mid-life crisis mobile, and that was pretty helpful, and now I need your help justifying a Model 3.

My wife has had a Prius for a long time and is a believer in EVs, and has a commute that would be perfect even for a Leaf. When I brought up the topic of a Tesla, she said "any electric car is fine, doesn't matter which kind." So that was my green light to look more seriously at Tesla.

As a lifelong cheapskate, never having bought a new car from a dealer, I am a little shocked to find myself considering a brand new Model 3, but here we are. You only live once, and my research suggests this is a decision I'm not likely to regret. But my wife correctly points out that we have a lot on our plate: three teenagers, with a major kitchen renovation and addition looming, and a busy summer with us only home 4 out of 8 weeks this summer. And now we have the $3,750 tax credit deadline running out in 3+ weeks. Also, we don't have a garage right now.

We could get a garage built in the back yard, off the back alley, in a few months, depending on a few factors. Would it be crazy to order a Model 3 and park it in the back yard for a few months, with no garage? We could get set up with a Wall Connector (without a wall to put it on right now). Or maybe we could even just use the Mobile Connector? (My wife could mostly charge at work.) Or am I rushing things too much: Should I get the garage built first, forego the fatter tax credit, and order a Model 3 in October or November?

Thoughts? TIA!

Would it be crazy to order a Model 3 and park it in the back yard for a few months, with no garage?

Not crazy at all, plenty of people leave them outdoors and you can easily charge like that as well.

We could get set up with a Wall Connector (without a wall to put it on right now). Or maybe we could even just use the Mobile Connector? (My wife could mostly charge at work.)

I have a free wall connector that i got from Tesla as a referral reward and it's still sitting in the box. I mostly charge at work with their charger or use my mobile connector at home (either a 240V or even regular 120V sometimes). I'd say just use the mobile charger, do you happen to have a 240V outlet you could use nearby? That would make it a slam dunk.

Tesla sells tons of different adapters for the mobile charger that comes with the car: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I'd definitely suggest taking advantage of the tax credit, this really might be the perfect time to get a Model 3. The car has been in production for almost 2 years now and they have improved tons of small details over that time span. The car is better than it's ever been and cheaper than it's ever been!

In terms of this vs another EV, the over-the-air updates and continuous improvement in the car makes it better all the time. Also the power and handling of a Model 3 make it an absolute pleasure to drive even if you totally ignore all of it's technology.

It's a bit expensive, but that's because you're getting a great battery that will last for 200K+ miles and still have plenty of range at that point (and EV's in general are just more expensive). But the Total Cost of Ownership for a Model 3 is competitive with a Camry due to fuel and maintenance savings (plus resale value, in part from that amazing battery tech).

Last edited:
One correction: the tax credit will drop in half in 3 weeks, not expire completely. It'll be $1750 on July 1st and expire on December 31.

You didn't say how many miles your wife drives per day, because if it's less than 30 then you can charge it on a 120V wall outlet until you get a better setup. 120V gets you a charge rate of between 3 and 4 miles per hour.

You can also mount the wall charger or a NEMA 14-50 on the side of your house (if needed).

Test drive the car. You'll be an owner by June 30th. :)

Reactions: ChadS
I think you've already talked yourself into it.
I was in a similar position.
I have bought a couple of new cars but mostly used and always in a price class way below half what a model 3 costs.
But I figured I earned it after 40 years of hard work and my wife supported my decision.
What can I say?

I'll be paying it off for the next 5 years but I haven't regretted it for a second.
On the contrary, I am becoming more convinced as time goes by that it was the right decision.

I'm not sure if I buy in to Elon's story about the car becoming more valuable over time or the theory that it is as cheap over time as a Honda Accord. But I do buy into Elon's goals and I think he is sincere.

I've been driving electric for the past 5 years anyway (Renault Zoe) and although I live in Germany which is famous for it's great cars and also has some interesting electric cars on offer or coming soon I decided that Elon Musk and Tesla deserve my money more for getting the ball rolling and pushing the limits.
My car is parked on the road because our garage is full of bikes and other stuff so I don't see that as an issue.
I would recommend getting a wall box, I already had one for the ZOE, it's handy to be able to charge faster sometimes.

Do it, you wont regret it.

Best of luck

--
Free Supercharger Miles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range Black
Germany

I charged mine like this most of last winter with zero issues:

20190212_075630sm.jpg

That's a Mobile Connector. I let the snow bury the device. It also charged in relentless rain without a hiccup. I do recommend more than 120V 15 amps for an Illinois winter, even for short commutes.

How much do you drive per day/week?

This is the most important question when buying a Tesla

1. Determines what kind of charging you need at home

2. How much you save in gas. I currently save about $1500 per year with my driving habits.

3. How much better your commute can get with autopilot.

4. How much time you save by not going to the gas station

As long as you own the property, it's easy to make many different solutions work.

That said, remember there is still a $1725 tax credit until Dec 31st. So by waiting you lose out on that + not having the car for that long + any possible Tesla pricing changes

Reactions: UTMB
:)I've never thought in terms of "you only live once". I prefer, "I'm still living". My Model 3 is my fourth EV since 2013. Progression from a 2012 Prius Plug In to a Tesla. Honestly, the Model 3 is affordable for most people with established lives and jobs. No need to start small if you can swing it. Tesla makes the best EVs, with varied price ranges. Figure out what works for you and get as much Tesla as you need. Plenty of other EVs, but no other manufacturer can match the Tesla SuperCharger network. It's a EV game changer.

Congratulations!

A charging suggestion. If you’re getting kitchen renovation, with plans for a garage later. Have electrician run cable for garage subpanel now. Terminate on a post with HPWC mounted.

Easy to do the work when part of your house is torn open and they’re running electric lines anyway.

Far more convenient to charge with HPWC.

Less expensive than running the cable later.

Our first electric car was a Honda Civic Hybrid in early 2000’s.

I did this on the 986forum when I needed help justifying buying a mid-life crisis mobile, and that was pretty helpful, and now I need your help justifying a Model 3.

My wife has had a Prius for a long time and is a believer in EVs, and has a commute that would be perfect even for a Leaf. When I brought up the topic of a Tesla, she said "any electric car is fine, doesn't matter which kind." So that was my green light to look more seriously at Tesla.

As a lifelong cheapskate, never having bought a new car from a dealer, I am a little shocked to find myself considering a brand new Model 3, but here we are. You only live once, and my research suggests this is a decision I'm not likely to regret. But my wife correctly points out that we have a lot on our plate: three teenagers, with a major kitchen renovation and addition looming, and a busy summer with us only home 4 out of 8 weeks this summer. And now we have the $3,750 tax credit deadline running out in 3+ weeks. Also, we don't have a garage right now.

We could get a garage built in the back yard, off the back alley, in a few months, depending on a few factors. Would it be crazy to order a Model 3 and park it in the back yard for a few months, with no garage? We could get set up with a Wall Connector (without a wall to put it on right now). Or maybe we could even just use the Mobile Connector? (My wife could mostly charge at work.) Or am I rushing things too much: Should I get the garage built first, forego the fatter tax credit, and order a Model 3 in October or November?

Thoughts? TIA!
You need to take a long read over this forum.
If, after reading about the company's communications, service reputation and sparse locations, and so on, (not the car) you'd be a braver man than I to get one.

You need to take a long read over this forum.
If, after reading about the company's communications, service reputation and sparse locations, and so on, (not the car) you'd be a braver man than I to get one.

If you let the horror stories scare you away from an amazing car, you'll miss out.

I've only been back to the service center twice in three years - and one of those was because I ran over a bolt that went into the tire.

While there are long waits for repair parts for ruining cars sometimes, Tesla mostly does a really good job with cars that are stranded - and they've been much better about offering loaner cars than any other brand I know for service/warranty issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and ChadS
If you let the horror stories scare you away from an amazing car, you'll miss out.

I've only been back to the service center twice in three years - and one of those was because I ran over a bolt that went into the tire.

While there are long waits for repair parts for ruining cars sometimes, Tesla mostly does a really good job with cars that are stranded - and they've been much better about offering loaner cars than any other brand I know for service/warranty issues.

There is obviously always a negative bias - noone ever posts on here how amazingly reliable their Tesla is. :p

Reactions: StealthP3D