Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into or out of Model 3 Purchase (mostly range anxiety)

Which car is best for me

• Model 3 SR+

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Wait for a Model 3 LR

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Kia Niro EV

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Wait a year and pay off the Acura first! EV pricing will go when rebates expire.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for the AWD LR is just because there is no need for me to move ahead the timeline for the MA Rebate. MA rebate expires in Sept after that I get nothing from the state so might as well pay down my current car loan a couple of months longer in that case with the end of Q4 being a deadline for the Federal rebate. That is the explanation of my logic at least :)

MA rebate is based on the final selling (not starting price) being less than $50K they count the delivery/destination charge but not sales tax so the AWD models don't apply but you can add some options to the rest of the variations and still stay just south of $50K

SR+ or LR RWD model I would try to order before the MA state rebate expires. Telsa sold too many 3's in MA and the state ran out of money in their program, lol. Last year the pricing was based on starting MSRP so all model 3's qualified.

No way for me to charge while at work. But I do drive within a mile from the Telsa Dedham store both directions where they do have multiple super chargers. I did not think of that location initially since they don't come up on a map of supercharger locations but have a bunch of them for use. So that would be my emergency situation backup along the ride either direction if it looks like I am draining too fast.

On the RWD LR waiting thread there are recent posts the pricing on the off the menu RWD is still $4K less than AWD and includes the basic AP which is now included (forced) on all 3's.
Add to that it meets the figure for the MA rebate and that is enough of a price difference for me and the RWD beats the AWD in range (AWD is faster and has all wheel drive).

Reactions: N5329K and Zaxxon
I think you're fine with the SR+. Definitely try your trip in ABetterRoutePlanner at the coldest temp you might encounter. We never know if you're doing it all up hill or something. But long winter trips aren't as inefficient as some of the worst cases that have been discussed. We have traveled through patches of cold weather (though barely below freezing) without even noticing. If the battery and cabin are already warm the car is not working too hard to just maintain that temp.

Reactions: mreynolds767
Question to Supercharger users: How frequently, when you arrive at a SC station, do you have to wait as no chargers are available? With the large increase in M3 deliveries, I can see where this is (or soon will be) a problem - excessive waiting and lost time. This is another reason I went with the LR model. You can always make more money, but you can't make more time!
North Dakota sends you an unamused stare.
Yes, I too have noticed a rather large hole in the coverage map in the mid-north.Tesla is obviously installing their stations based on population density. I'm sure those states will get some coverage eventually, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than a couple stations. Canada and Alaska are also barren or close to it.

This is what I was told by a Tesla Sr sales person. Both the standard range (not the Plus, the off menu $35k one) and the off menu Long Range RWD don't include AP. They have all the standard AP safety features, but not the autosteer or TACC.
I actually thought the same thing re: LR RWD not including AP for $45900 but @Godlife just posted in LR RWD waiting room this invoice that confirms it does in fact include AP now at least. Screenshot - 63c6f82aabcd3c351192f67e819a0031 - Gyazo

My last option is to go with a car I like less but given the Federal $7500 credit may be a better value for my situation in the Kia Niro EV ; while the stated EPA range is similar to the SR+ ; the battery is much larger and with a separate heat pump ; I think that vehicle can handle the 125 mile round trip without the same fear.

Tesla is actually very efficient on the highway, and Niro is probably much less efficient due to its height and shape. So in terms of winter driving, I think Tesla will get more range. If you are worried, just dress warmly, wear gloves, and use seat warmers. Pre-warm the cabin with the car plugged in. And turn off the heat after you drop off your daughter. 125 miles is not that much, and you should easily be able to do it, even in 5 years and even in the winter.

And in 5 years, your commute may look very different anyway.

I actually thought the same thing re: LR RWD not including AP for $45900 but @Godlife just posted in LR RWD waiting room this invoice that confirms it does in fact include AP now at least. Screenshot - 63c6f82aabcd3c351192f67e819a0031 - Gyazo

Oh that's interesting... and if the poster above you is correct, that you can order any Model 3 with AP disabled at a $2,000 savings then that could bring the LR RWD to $43,900 before delivery/destination fee. That changes my deal all over again. Do I give up picking my color and the white interior but gain 85 miles of range for $2k?! I highly doubt I would use AP right now (only a couple road trips a year and don't live somewhere with a lot of traffic) but I would like to have that extra range and faster charging! Being able to upgrade to AP later on is always an option too. Would the Long Range RWD include the full premium interior (rear heated seats, music streaming, etc) or is it a blend of the two (battery from the long range but interior from the SR+?)

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Granted. But they have permits now, so they should have chargers "soon." Haven't seen permits come through for eastern Montana of the Upper Peninsula yet, but I expect the former we just haven't seen yet. Not sure about the latter...

Two of ND's sites have been permitted for 450+ days. But with the Canadian construction having kicked in recently, hopefully ND progresses, as well. I traveled to Teddy Roosevelt NP in ND from Denver last summer, and it was... fun. No Superchargers, no L3 of any kind, and virtually no L2 other than campsites. Worth it, though. TRNP is fantastic.

Oh that's interesting... and if the poster above you is correct, that you can order any Model 3 with AP disabled at a $2,000 savings then that could bring the LR RWD to $43,900 before delivery/destination fee. That changes my deal all over again. Do I give up picking my color and the white interior but gain 85 miles of range for $2k?! I highly doubt I would use AP right now (only a couple road trips a year and don't live somewhere with a lot of traffic) but I would like to have that extra range and faster charging! Being able to upgrade to AP later on is always an option too. Would the Long Range RWD include the full premium interior (rear heated seats, music streaming, etc) or is it a blend of the two (battery from the long range but interior from the SR+?)
This configuration would probably give OP best value if willing to give up AP. Instead of paying $10K premium for LR AWD and more range you could try to order off-menu LR RWD with no AP for $4k more than SR+. $4k for 85mi sounds pretty good

I think you're fine with the SR+. Definitely try your trip in ABetterRoutePlanner at the coldest temp you might encounter. We never know if you're doing it all up hill or something. But long winter trips aren't as inefficient as some of the worst cases that have been discussed. We have traveled through patches of cold weather (though barely below freezing) without even noticing. If the battery and cabin are already warm the car is not working too hard to just maintain that temp.

I did run multiple test plans at A Better Route Planner of the commute I described. I noticed if you put a strong wind in, the results can vary greatly. Knew about temps, speed, rain, snow, etc... but had not thought much about wind. Probably obvious to everyone else.

Based on the site planner, a super cold windy day (Polar Vortex or whatever they like to call it lately) is probably my worse case scenario, seems to be worse than a snowstorm if the site is accurate.

Anyway based on conditions of 15 degrees F, traveling at 110% of speed limit, starting at 90% charge on the SR+ ; wind of 8 MPH, 10% battery degradation, dry roads ; it gives me a final arrival amount of 14%
Changing the road conditions to snow/rain 10% ; and lowering the speed to 100% gives me about the same, 13%
A change to heavy/rain snow at a temp of 25 degree F with other conditions the same results in the same 13%

On a nicer day, say 35 degrees F ; dry roads and 5 MPH winds ; I get 23% which is more comfortable.
On a day like today, traveling at faster highway speeds is 29% left arriving at home.

Pushing to more extremes, on a 12 degree F day with 16 MPH winds which would be quite bad out. At 100% speed as a reference and starting out at 95% charge I would just make the trip without stopping with 7% to spare getting home which is what I set as the bottom limit.
Anything worse than that it wants to route me to a SuperCharger station to make the trip work ; but with the mentioned Dedham Service Center charging location right on my route, it only adds a mile to the trip for me to stop there for a 5-10 minute charge if I need more juice on crazy days.

All of the above is based on adding 10% for battery degradation ; assuming the site is accurate I would be comfortable with all of above. If my battery degrades closer to 20% though, it would change things considerably.

The wind aspect scared me a bit, but not realizing I could use Dedham Tesla Service center as a convenient changes a lot as long as it is not needed often I can live with that.
As long as I get a battery that does not degrade much over the years, I would be good with the SR+ based on Abetterrouteplanner.

Pushing to more extremes, on a 12 degree F day with 16 MPH winds which would be quite bad out. At 100% speed as a reference and starting out at 95% charge I would just make the trip without stopping with 7% to spare getting home which is what I set as the bottom limit.
Anything worse than that it wants to route me to a SuperCharger station to make the trip work ; but with the mentioned Dedham Service Center charging location right on my route, it only adds a mile to the trip for me to stop there for a 5-10 minute charge if I need more juice on crazy days.

Try running that case at 70 or 80% of the speed limit and see what it gets you. Slowing down usually helps a lot with range when you need it...

This configuration would probably give OP best value if willing to give up AP. Instead of paying $10K premium for LR AWD and more range you could try to order off-menu LR RWD with no AP for $4k more than SR+. $4k for 85mi sounds pretty good

That's insanely good since you get the 85 mile more range AND the faster charge rate! AP can always be added later when money allows or you really need it. Does anyone know if this comes with the partial premium interior or the premium interior? Because then it's 85 mi more, faster charging, three heated rear seats, upgraded audio system (more physical speakers) and music streaming for $4k! I can't imagine it does... it must come with the same interior as the SR+, right?