Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall Roadster drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you over 6 feet tall? Then please comment on this topic.
I would like to know how in your opinion the visibility is.

How tall are you?
Any problems in seeing road signs, semaphores?
Is the rear mirror in the way?
Does the steering wheel hinder the view at the speed indicator?

Thank you.

The steering wheel hinders the view of the speedo for nearly everybody. That's why there's the digital readout on the VDS ;-).

I'm only 5'10", but I did change out the rear view for the Sector 111 Micromirror and removed the sun visors (and covered the silver stalks with black shrink tubing). Much better.

Are you over 6 feet tall? Then please comment on this topic.
I would like to know how in your opinion the visibility is.

How tall are you?
Any problems in seeing road signs, semaphores?
Is the rear mirror in the way?
Does the steering wheel hinder the view at the speed indicator?

Thank you.

I've test driven the Roadster 3 times and I'm 6'3" tall. SByer is right about not being able to see the top of the speedometer. For my last test drive, I took off the sun visors and that helped a lot. I didn't notice the rearview mirror being a problem but was so excited to be driving it I probably wasn't paying much attention. I can post more information once my car arrives next week.

6'3" and speedometer is blocked, I sometimes have trouble seeing stop lights when first in line at an intersection. The speed display on the JVC and touchscreen totally mitigate the first issue, but I have the stock mirror and visors. I've heard good things about the micromirror and will probably look into getting one. No other problems, though.

6'3" and no problems that have not already been mentioned. I actually didn't notice that the heater / ac had labels until I was leaning way down just the other day.

Losing the sun visors added a lot of visibility.

Getting in and out is a funny adventure no matter how big or small you are; I've seen children struggle.

Ps still lots of headroom even with the hardtop.

The steering wheel hinders the view of the speedo for nearly everybody. That's why there's the digital readout on the VDS ;-).

I'm only 5'10", but I did change out the rear view for the Sector 111 Micromirror and removed the sun visors (and covered the silver stalks with black shrink tubing). Much better.

Ditto on this, 100%. With the VDS, removed sun visor, and micromirror, I have no complaints about visibility.

This owner is six foot six inches. Here he is shown with his special roof strut mod. He says his head clears the softtop just fine but his fluffy (my word) hair touches (messes) it so he made the strut to clear his hair.

He had just bought the mesh top for summer driving. He also saw my micro mirror and ordered one the next day.

Attachments

• Tall mod int.jpg
    Tall mod int.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 251
I just pulled my visors off. It adds lots of visibiltiy.

How did you remove your visors? I justed pulled them off the rod that holds the visors. This leaves the mount and a rod (about 4" long) left on the car. Is there another way that removes the rod?

I just pulled my visors off. It adds lots of visibiltiy.

How did you remove your visors? I justed pulled them off the rod that holds the visors. This leaves the mount and a rod (about 4" long) left on the car. Is there another way that removes the rod?

I did the same thing with the visors. Makes a huge difference for me as well. Not sure if there is another way to do it. I think some people put black electrical tape over the exposed silver rod to make it less visible.

You can't see when the "brights" indicator is on either.

They (all) design the speedo cluster to be seen when looking flat at the steering wheel. Great on the drawing board and in pictures but it ends up only working for people in the five foot range. I once suggested that they flip the gauges upside down. That way the needle sweeps the bottom of the circle instead of over across the top. Someone has probably done this. Probably considered "too weird".

Here is a suggestion for he Model S. Since it's all just a flat panel display why not have different height settings where the gauges move around based on the driver's eyeline. Each person's settings can be remembers like modern seat and steering wheel settings. Would be a cool techy thing that would set the car apart.

Of course a HUD would be even more cool.

Why can't they design a little digital gauge that fits in that groove above the steering wheel close to the windshield (similar to where the Prius has it's digital speedometer)? That would be a cheap why to do it I would think. I like your ideal of an inverted gauge as well.