Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is a personal income tax and not a business, what are you doing with form 3800??

Go to the irs website and download form 8911 and fill it out. the charger's for personal use so there is 0% business use.

Then in HR Block, open the 1040 form, schedule 3, line 6j. Override its value by right clicking and select Override. Then just enter the value from form 8911. It should be $1000.

Unfortunately, this means you cannot file electronically. You have to file on paper and mail it in because HR Block doesnt provide form 8911.

• Informative
Reactions: dcfas
As I read the IRS instructions for 8911, it says you can use 3800. I will check out your suggestion though, sounds simpler.

8911 instructions...

Partnerships and S corporations must file this form to claim the credit. All other taxpayers aren’t required to complete or file this form if their only source for this credit is a partnership or S corporation. Instead, they can report this credit directly on line 1s in Part III of Form 3800, General Business Credit.

I read those instructions to mean if you're receiving this credit due to being part of a partnership of S Corp, report it on form 3800.

A personal use charger obviously isnt that so all you do is submit form 8911 and report it on Schedule 3, line 6j. At least thats what I did.

And then take a hard look at not using HR Block for your taxes next year.

Reactions: dcfas
So, tried to finish up the taxes today with H&R Block software. It updates the Federal forms, including recognizing the Clean Energy EV credit. However, a window pops up stating cannot file until yet another update, expected to be ready by 22 March. smh

Just a follow up. Finally was able to file successfully with the Clean Energy Credit. Waiting for direct deposit to appear. I am happy to report I was able to claim the full $7500., though was not able to qualify (census tract) for the charger and install. We owed a couple thousand before the credit, so that was erased and we collect the rest.

Thanks for all of the helpful posts here.