Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit (Green ACT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very very very hesitant to buy a M3P before june/july...
Even with my order profile completed on 3/30 I'm looking at mid-May to beginning of June, if I'm taking the delivery estimate at face value. Deliveries are going to balloon as details on the tax credit become less and less opaque. If you want the car soon-ish and it makes sense financially (used car values are insane right now due to semiconductor/rubber/other supply issues, and Carvana paid top-dollar for my car) $5k is better than most people are getting.

Even with my order profile completed on 3/30 I'm looking at mid-May to beginning of June, if I'm taking the delivery estimate at face value. Deliveries are going to balloon as details on the tax credit become less and less opaque. If you want the car soon-ish and it makes sense financially (used car values are insane right now due to semiconductor/rubber/other supply issues, and Carvana paid top-dollar for my car) $5k is better than most people are getting.
Just my 2 cents. All depends on your situation, but if the tax credit comes back I anticipate 1 of 2 things will happen. 1) Demand/delivery dates will balloon if prices stay basically the same 2) prices will rise with demand and negate most value of tax credit.

I have a 5k work incentkve that ends by end of 2022, so with this 10k incentive (potentially point lf sale discount from American jobs plan) and the potential 7k tax incentive (GREEN act) I am very very very hesitant to buy a M3P before june/july...
That is awesome you have a work incentive to stack! I highly doubt you will be able to stack a point of sale discount with a tax rebate. I'm sure the infrastructure bill will result in either or, but not both as stackable. And who knows if any income limits will apply on a tax rebate or if any final sale price maximums will affect a point of sale discount too.

My office opens back up in July, so I am more than comfortable waiting until then or congress' August recess before I will be driving more regularly again. That's why I already put an order in and will wait and see if anything happens by August 7th.

That is awesome you have a work incentive to stack! I highly doubt you will be able to stack a point of sale discount with a tax rebate. I'm sure the infrastructure bill will result in either or, but not both as stackable. And who knows if any income limits will apply on a tax rebate or if any final sale price maximums will affect a point of sale discount too.

My office opens back up in July, so I am more than comfortable waiting until then or congress' August recess before I will be driving more regularly again. That's why I already put an order in and will wait and see if anything happens by August 7th.
If I stall on my order (say I am not ready to accept delivery) for 6 months+ i assume Tesla will take the order position away? Or perhaps I can order now and push it off for 4 years?

Last edited:
If I stall on my order (say I am not ready to accept delivery) for 6 months+ i assume Tesla will take the order position away? I can i order now and push it off for 4 years?
When I submit my order with my SA he said that you can delay for up to 9 months. I've seen others on here that have orders in since the very beginning, but from Tesla's perspective, I can't imagine them lettings orders sit for years on a car that is in full production.

If I stall on my order (say I am not ready to accept delivery) for 6 months+ i assume Tesla will take the order position away? I can i order now and push it off for 4 years?
Current order Terms of Agreement is 3 months once a VIN is assigned, but apparently you can email [email protected] and discuss any specifics you may need regarding your order. I've been working closely with my Tesla Advisor and this was his latest response to me when I asked if keeping open until August 7th was any issue if a VIN is first assigned more than 3 months before or before May 7th:

"I've kept your order open to accept a Model Y VIN once one is built for if you would want to take delivery this quarter.

Once a VIN is assigned, if we need to release that VIN and pause your order to take delivery in Q3 (July - September), I can do this for you.

It's a tricky situation, because if the things you're looking for are confirmed for this quarter, I wouldn't want you to miss the opportunity to take delivery. Worst case scenario, you'll receive a few texts about receiving a VIN and we'll then remove the VIN and delay your delivery until Q3 if that's the direction you wish to go."

Reactions: rjpjnk
Current order Terms of Agreement is 3 months once a VIN is assigned, but apparently you can email [email protected] and discuss any specifics you may need regarding your order. I've been working closely with my Tesla Advisor and this was his latest response to me when I asked if keeping open until August 7th was any issue if a VIN is first assigned more than 3 months before or before May 7th:

"I've kept your order open to accept a Model Y VIN once one is built for if you would want to take delivery this quarter.

Once a VIN is assigned, if we need to release that VIN and pause your order to take delivery in Q3 (July - September), I can do this for you.

It's a tricky situation, because if the things you're looking for are confirmed for this quarter, I wouldn't want you to miss the opportunity to take delivery. Worst case scenario, you'll receive a few texts about receiving a VIN and we'll then remove the VIN and delay your delivery until Q3 if that's the direction you wish to go."
What was "things youre looking for are confirmed this quarter," in reference too?

I'm curious about how you specifically went about this process. On another thread a forum member recommended that I just not fill in my info after placing the order so the order kinda stays in stasis with periodic check-ins from the SA and that if and when I'm ready to go ahead, I would put in my info and get the ball rolling and finally be in queue for a VIN. Is that how you are going about it or are you going ahead with filling all your info and waiting till a VIN is assigned and then asking your SA to hold off on the match and defer it? Is there any advantage one way or the other?

I currently have an order I just placed a few days ago but am taking the former approach at the moment and waiting to see if anything ends up happening with tax credits. If not, I may try to push off the order as long as I can till I see if things are better with Ys coming out of Austin. Worst case I lose the $100 and wait a year or two to order a model Y. I'm not in a big rush and I usually own cars for 10+ years, so I'm okay being a bit more patient if I have to pay full price anyways.

What was "things youre looking for are confirmed this quarter," in reference too?
I told my advisor I would only accept delivery before July (i.e. Q2) if there were any new federal tax incentives by then or if Tesla is offering any promotions to sway me. He told me Tesla tends to offer things end of quarter to bolster their numbers. It will have to be a significant promotion unless it looks like the EV tax credits are off the table. Cause I’m willing to wait until August.

I told my advisor I would only accept delivery before July (i.e. Q2) if there were any new federal tax incentives by then or if Tesla is offering any promotions to sway me. He told me Tesla tends to offer things end of quarter to bolster their numbers. It will have to be a significant promotion unless it looks like the EV tax credits are off the table. Cause I’m willing to wait until August.
What was deemed "significant" promotion?

I cannot recall, does teslas quarter end at end of june or end of july? I feel i am in same boat as you

I'm curious about how you specifically went about this process. On another thread a forum member recommended that I just not fill in my info after placing the order so the order kinda stays in stasis with periodic check-ins from the SA and that if and when I'm ready to go ahead, I would put in my info and get the ball rolling and finally be in queue for a VIN. Is that how you are going about it or are you going ahead with filling all your info and waiting till a VIN is assigned and then asking your SA to hold off on the match and defer it? Is there any advantage one way or the other?

I currently have an order I just placed a few days ago but am taking the former approach at the moment and waiting to see if anything ends up happening with tax credits. If not, I may try to push off the order as long as I can till I see if things are better with Ys coming out of Austin. Worst case I lose the $100 and wait a year or two to order a model Y. I'm not in a big rush and I usually own cars for 10+ years, so I'm okay being a bit more patient if I have to pay full price anyways.
After paying the $100 I only did one more step. I filled out the registration info. On the order I entered that I will be paying cash for the MY. And did not enter anything for a trade-in. My advisor said that can all be changed later. He knows I’ll be financing and I have a trade-in. The next step the portal is asking me for is my insurance information. But I can’t provide that without a VIN. So again, that can be provided later once a VIN is assigned. Since I paid the $100, Tesla’s portal now just has an Estimated Delivery range of dates that has been fluctuating here and there.

That’s how I am doing it. I speculated that the price would go up as the federal EV tax credits get closer to reality and demand continues to rise. I didn’t want to pay more later when I knew I eventually want the car. And low and behold there have been two $500 price increases. So it’s been the right way about it so far.

Reactions: orion2001
What was deemed "significant" promotion?

I cannot recall, does teslas quarter end at end of june or end of july? I feel i am in same boat as you
End of June. Q1=Jan-Mar, Q2=Apr-Jun, etc. He said Tesla had a promotion end of year/Q4 in 2020. A year of free supercharging or something. Or could be free accessories or the like. Probably won’t be enough to make me not wait another 6 weeks to see if Congress does anything.

Interestingly I just receive a text from my Tesla Advisor. Even though he had originally told me he didn’t want to put a hold on my order he did it today without asking me. A little strange. Not too big of a deal, but a little surprised:

“Hi Steven, wanted to give you a heads up, I've placed a pause on your order until 7/23. This will prevent our systems from trying to find a Model Y to link to your order and better align with your goal of an August - September delivery. If for any reason you want us to open up your order sooner to receive a Model Y, let us know and we can make that adjustment for you. Hope all is well, talk to you soon.”

Interestingly I just receive a text from my Tesla Advisor. Even though he had originally told me he didn’t want to put a hold on my order he did it today without asking me. A little strange. Not too big of a deal, but a little surprised:

“Hi Steven, wanted to give you a heads up, I've placed a pause on your order until 7/23. This will prevent our systems from trying to find a Model Y to link to your order and better align with your goal of an August - September delivery. If for any reason you want us to open up your order sooner to receive a Model Y, let us know and we can make that adjustment for you. Hope all is well, talk to you soon.”
Happened to me, but without the friendly SA text. I checked with him and he confirmed he did do it, but he did not tell me. My "on hold" date is 7/2/2021, which is close to when I would release the order regardless So I was fine with it.

I just want them to pass something before I take delivery... or make it retroactive to cover the entire tax year regardless of purchase date within that tax year.
If this gets passed soon, not only would I get the Y this year, we would upgrade the wife's Bolt to the new one next year... or can I claim two tax credits in one year? If so, I would have to see if I will have enough tax burden this year to take advantage of both, and if not then upgrade the Bolt next year.

Keith

PS: Not sure if it is still this way, but back when my Dad was working at a Ford plant, the custodian staff was making more than a computer programmer made... but more money off of the new Bolt... a toss up in my mind :)

Last edited:
I just want them to pass something before I take delivery... or make it retroactive to cover the entire tax year regardless of purchase date within that tax year.
If this gets passed soon, not only would I get the Y this year, we would upgrade the wife's Bolt to the new one next year... or can I claim two tax credits in one year? If so, I would have to see if I will have enough tax burden this year to take advantage of both, and if not then upgrade the Bolt next year.

Keith

PS: Not sure if it is still this way, but back when my Dad was working at a Ford plant, the custodian staff was making more than a computer programmer made... but more money off of the new Bolt... a toss up in my mind :)

Assuming the tax credit gets revamped this year (but is not made fully refundable), there are ways you can create temporary tax burdens that would allow you to claim 2 full credits (be it $7.5k/10k/12.5k for each one).

Keith

As written, if passed it will not go into effect until next year.

"The changes to credit amounts are effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021."

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/...y_for_America_Act_Chairmans_Modified_Mark.pdf