Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm filling out my taxes on H&R Block. I'm filing as Married/Jointly and after the standard deduction, it says that my tax liability is $7871. My only other credit is for our daughter and that is $2000.

When I enter my info for the tax credit (2019 Tesla, should be $1875) it says that I am only eligible for $469 of the credit.

Can anyone help me understand what happened?

Sorry if in the wrong section.

I believe you need to put the whole amount in, $7,500, and the system will compute your actual credit amount, $1,875.

I'm using H&R Block software for the first time this year and was stumped / frustrated by the exact same issue for a bit. I don't think they worded the questioning on that screen very well, which will lead to the issue, but am glad that it's figured out as I was about to open a bug report with them.

You have to tell the software that the credit is $7500 regardless of when you purchased. It will give you the correct portion of it based on your supplementary information. If you plug in the 1/4 rebate, $1,875, because that's what you are due, it will helpfully give you a quarter of that.

What is stated in this thread is correct and confirmed:
- make sure you put in the full 7500 and the purchase date, the HRBlock system will do the rest of the calculations for you.
- yes, the tax break has expired now, but we're filing taxes for last year where it was valid at 50%/25%

So I'm filling out my taxes on H&R Block. I'm filing as Married/Jointly and after the standard deduction, it says that my tax liability is $7871. My only other credit is for our daughter and that is $2000.

When I enter my info for the tax credit (2019 Tesla, should be $1875) it says that I am only eligible for $469 of the credit.

Can anyone help me understand what happened?

Sorry if in the wrong section.
Came to ask the same thing...

Hi all!

I just went through this process as well. I purchsed my Model 3 in March of 2019, which should be a return of $3750.

I tried on TurboTax first, but it gave me errors and then dropped my refund to $1875. I talked with several TurboTax customer care folks, they had no idea that it was an error, let alone how to fix it.

I searched this issue and came to this forum which was a great help! I completed my return on H&R Block online with the proper credit (putting the full credit in first as $7500) and letting the software calculate the remaining credit. The IRS accepted both my Federal and State taxes right after.

Thank you all again :)