Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Technical help needed with door latch upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model X and was having issues with the drivers door latch not releasing properly the first time. I posted a separate thread a while ago about it.
I decided to repair the problem by upgrading both the drivers and passenger doors with the Gen3 upgrade kit. I purchased the complete kit from Tesla and I installed all the components and the new wiring harnesses but I ran into a big issue. I finished everything up but they don’t work and the vehicle sees both front doors as being open.
my vehicle had a pending software update so I waited until I swapped all the parts before performing the software update. Still didn’t work. After that I drove to Tesla and put my vehicle in service mode and requested a second software update. The software updateagain but they still don’t work and again the vehicle thinks both front doors are open.
Can someone with technical knowledge please provide me some assistance?
Any other time I have changed anything on the vehicle a software redeployment always gets it’s going but this time I’m not having any luck.
Your help is appreciated.
thanks

I went through the same upgrade a few months ago. I had Tesla do the upgrade. I do know that after it was complete they were having problems getting them to work and had to go through several software upgrades. You might want them to check it out.

I went through the same upgrade a few months ago. I had Tesla do the upgrade. I do know that after it was complete they were having problems getting them to work and had to go through several software upgrades. You might want them to check it out.
I will try pushing another software update to the X tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I’ve already done 2 but will try one more and see if it makes a difference. Frustrating.

I will try pushing another software update to the X tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I’ve already done 2 but will try one more and see if it makes a difference. Frustrating.
Since the SC fixed the issue for me, I am not aware of the exact fix. They made it sound like it was a special firmware upgrade in addition to the software updates. It took several days for them to get it right.

I have a 2016 Model X and was having issues with the drivers door latch not releasing properly the first time. I posted a separate thread a while ago about it.
I decided to repair the problem by upgrading both the drivers and passenger doors with the Gen3 upgrade kit. I purchased the complete kit from Tesla and I installed all the components and the new wiring harnesses but I ran into a big issue. I finished everything up but they don’t work and the vehicle sees both front doors as being open.
my vehicle had a pending software update so I waited until I swapped all the parts before performing the software update. Still didn’t work. After that I drove to Tesla and put my vehicle in service mode and requested a second software update. The software updateagain but they still don’t work and again the vehicle thinks both front doors are open.
Can someone with technical knowledge please provide me some assistance?
Any other time I have changed anything on the vehicle a software redeployment always gets it’s going but this time I’m not having any luck.
Your help is appreciated.
thanks
Hi, I'm having a similar issue on my 07 MX and like to know how much you paid for the upgrade kit parts and any details on the difficulty level for upgrade kit vs the original actuator will be much appreciated. I have gone through the videos on how to change the door actuator but not sure about this latch upgrade kit.

Hi, I'm having a similar issue on my 07 MX and like to know how much you paid for the upgrade kit parts and any details on the difficulty level for upgrade kit vs the original actuator will be much appreciated. I have gone through the videos on how to change the door actuator but not sure about this latch upgrade kit.
I can’t remembered how much I paid for the kit. If you reach out to Tesla they can quote you.
It’s a pain in the ass to switch and can be time consuming to do. If you are not a mechanical person or handy I don’t recommend doing it. It was worth it in the end for the new system as they are much better than the originals. Please keep in mind after you are done you will need to bring the vehicle to Tesla so they can reconfigure the vehicle for the new system. It won’t work until you do this.

Reactions: rajbsn
I can’t remembered how much I paid for the kit. If you reach out to Tesla they can quote you.
It’s a pain in the ass to switch and can be time consuming to do. If you are not a mechanical person or handy I don’t recommend doing it. It was worth it in the end for the new system as they are much better than the originals. Please keep in mind after you are done you will need to bring the vehicle to Tesla so they can reconfigure the vehicle for the new system. It won’t work until you do this.
Thanks for the response and very helpful. I have scheduled for service and waiting on Cost Estimate.

The SC came back with a cost estimate of $287 with labor and parts.

Parts
1126199-00-B MX, FR DR KIEKERT LATCH SERVICE, LEFT HANDModel X - $100
1115332-00-B MC, FR, DR, E RELEASE ACTUATOR, LEFT HAND - $12
1025401-00-A CLIP, HEART FLEX W WSHR 70 LBS RETENTION - This are just the clips $2

I have requested to just get me the actuator and the clips and like to try that first. My MX is 6/2017 should be having the latest Kiekert latch based on what I read so far. I should have the parts by Monday and will try to take some pictures while I try to replace the actuator.

Last edited:
The SC came back with a cost estimate of $287 with labor and parts.

Parts
1126199-00-B MX, FR DR KIEKERT LATCH SERVICE, LEFT HANDModel X - $100
1115332-00-B MC, FR, DR, E RELEASE ACTUATOR, LEFT HAND - $12
1025401-00-A CLIP, HEART FLEX W WSHR 70 LBS RETENTION - This are just the clips $2

I have requested to just get me the actuator and the clips and like to try that first. My MX is 6/2017 should be having the latest Kiekert latch based on what I read so far. I should have the parts by Monday and will try to take some pictures while I try to replace the actuator.
Got the part today and the mobile tech replaced the ACTUATOR and everything is back to normal. It is a 5 min swap and they didn't charge me labor and just the part. I tipped the Tech good for the nice customer service!!

Last edited: