Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporarily Mounting Front Plate for Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
I removed the front license plate on my S upon delivery, and have been fine driving without it here in CA (knock on wood). However, I've been asked to pick up a friend at the airport next week, and I've heard that they zealously enforce the front plate law there.

I have a few strips of industrial-strength velcro to stick the holder and plate on (to the underside of the front bumper area) when I'm parked in a high-enforcement area, but I certainly wouldn't trust the velcro to hold while I'm driving.

Does anyone have ideas for temporarily attaching the front plate holder to the car (perhaps something to supplement the velcro) that won't mar the paint?

Zip ties through the front grill have been a temporary solution I’ve seen a lot. If you’re worried about the plate flapping around and hitting the paint, maybe you could pad the spots that would hit with a little adhesive foam.

On a side note, I recently moved to NY, which has front plates as well, from a state that didn’t. The service center reattached my bracket for no charge. Its presence doesn’t mar the front fascia as much as I thought. And now I don’t worry about getting tickets while parked.

I removed the front license plate on my S upon delivery, and have been fine driving without it here in CA (knock on wood). However, I've been asked to pick up a friend at the airport next week, and I've heard that they zealously enforce the front plate law there.

I have a few strips of industrial-strength velcro to stick the holder and plate on (to the underside of the front bumper area) when I'm parked in a high-enforcement area, but I certainly wouldn't trust the velcro to hold while I'm driving.

Does anyone have ideas for temporarily attaching the front plate holder to the car (perhaps something to supplement the velcro) that won't mar the paint?