Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary outdoor charging solution - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start off by saying that I am actively looking for a new place to live. Unfortunately I've been saying that same statement for many months now and still have not found a house that I like. But I know I want to move and so I don't necessarily want to put in a permanent outdoor charging setup...or maybe i do.

It looks like I have three options for charging the Tesla outside in the driveway of the house that I have now (there is no garage and no room to build one either). 1) Just use the 110v outlet that is already located outside and trickle juice back into the car overnight (probably taking all night) and deal with that till I move. 2) Put in a NEMA 14-50 on the outside of the house. The house is vinyl sided though, so that will likely pose some issues getting a big outlet to look good on the side of the house. 3) Install a HPWC temporarily and then take it with me when I move.

#1 might work as my daily commune is not that many miles (only about 30)...but it certainly feels inconvenient and would probably make it feel like I really could not drive the car for very long distances in a single day. The nearest Supercharger to me is about 40 miles one-way away...so that's not that convenient either.

#2 could be fine and I'd just leave all the stuff behind and it would become a new selling feature of the house. But with the vinyl siding it would probably get a little more expensive to have to cut around all that stuff to get the box to sit flush on the house. Not sure if I'd need a GFCI breaker though seeing as how this is all outside exposed to the elements (in Michigan)...and if I did then that might push me to go with option #3.

My question with #3 though is whether or not that is something people even do (meaning install the HPWC and then remove it later)? I'm kind of leaning that way as it would certainly be the most convenient (no need to drag out the UMC all the time) but what happens to the setup when I move? I suppose I could put things on a post and maybe take the post out...or do you leave the post in and then just cap the electrical? Those are the things I don't know.

I've read quite a few things on the these forums with regard to outdoor charging and what others have done. I've seen some HPWC on posts and that would look good. But I don't think I want to leave it behind when I move...

Just looking for some advice so that I can get the next steps started. Thanks.
Live in the car, AT the supercharger or at work. Problem solved.

This is intriguing to me. I take it that would mean that I would need this adapter for the end of the UMC:
Tesla — NEMA 5-20

I believe that this outlet is all by itself on its own breaker (20amp)...so this suggestion is worth digging into a bit more.

Putting in a plug and getting an adapter is one solution.

You can also set the HPWC to this voltage and amperage. If you were thinking of getting an HPWC later anyway when you get a more permanent installation, then go ahead and get it and install using the 240v 20A circuit. It is MUCH nicer than the UMC on a daily basis, especially if you need to pack up the UMC for road trips frequently.

When you move, put the 120v outlet back in the box, reinstall the 120v breaker and get your wiring installed in the new house for the HPWC.

If it were me, I would get the adapter for the 20 amp 120 outlet that you already have and use that to charge. That will get you five or six mph, so your 30 miles is easily done overnight. Your only expense would be the $45 for the adapter. For trips, just charge enough to get to the nearest SC in the direction you travel and go from there. There might be other solutions such as CHAdeMO (needs the $450 adapter), but you'd have to check. You might also look at PlugShare for home charging in your area.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I agree that the 5-20 outlet & adapter should be relatively easy, and enough for most of your driving needs till you move. And as far as the cold is concerned - if you plug in and start charging right when you get home, the battery should already be relatively warm and you should be able to charge normally, or close to it. I can't say anything about extreme cold, but I've had no problem charging outdoors on 5-15 and 5-20 outlets at hotels in NJ down to maybe 20°F.

As for installing a 14-50 outlet, is there any reason it would have to be flush with the wall? As mentioned above, installing on a post is an option, or you could mount an outdoor-rated box on the wall.

I like the one suggestion about camping out in the car. I have watched some of Bjorn's Tesla camping videos...so I know it's possible...but I'm probably not going to go down that route (not yet anyway). :)

I certainly do like the convenience of the HPWC because that would mean that I could leave the other connector in the car. The HPWC is something that I definitely am planning to get when I finally get a new place, which is why I was considering that now.

However, I think I am leaning very strongly to being the least disruptive to a house that I know I'm leaving and going with the 240v 20amp solution.

Good Info on both threads, thanks!

I'm currently in a townhouse and slowly prepping it for sale, however I can imagine it might take awhile for me to find a new house with a garage. I'm waiting on a Model 3 in VA so I assume it will be into 2018 by the time I get to order it, but it sounds like I have some options (albeit no ideal) to charge outside of my house in the meantime. I need to check on that outlet to confirm that it is possible.

That is not going to be a good solution. He has an outlet by the driveway. Where is he going to get the other outlet for the Quick220? He would have to run a 50 foot or 100 foot extension cord in a window into the house to get to some other wall outlet on a different circuit. That would be a mess.
@IT Geek Yeah, kind of depends on how long term you're looking at. Running on a regular outlet would work OK if you can give it about 10 hours overnight, but yes, you're going to feel like you can't drive your car much. I would second the suggestion to maybe look around on Plugshare to see if there is something better near you, but that's also going to be cumbersome.

If you are going to be there long enough to install something, I would probably go with installing a HPWC for real. With it being outside, you are not going to like getting your UMC out and having it get muddy, and getting your hands muddy when you want to pack it up, etc. Yes, mounting it on a post is not too bad for fairly short term if you want to drive that in and pull it out when you leave. Also, the HPWC is actually made to be rain proof and be outside. I would personally be OK with using a mobile connector in the rain now and then, but probably not for long term daily use.
I've been using a mobile connector in my driveway for 4 years. The 14-50 plug itself is in the garage, but the rest is exposed to the elements. Haven't had any problems!

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
However, I think I am leaning very strongly to being the least disruptive to a house that I know I'm leaving and going with the 240v 20amp solution.

You have decided on 20A 240V because there is already an outlet box with 12AWG wire to it, right? Do you know that there is no other outlet or device connected to the wires that feed that outdoor outlet? If you change that wire pair to 240V, everything else on the circuit must also be converted to 240V or disconnected.

Reactions: BerTX
You have decided on 20A 240V because there is already an outlet box with 12AWG wire to it, right? Do you know that there is no other outlet or device connected to the wires that feed that outdoor outlet? If you change that wire pair to 240V, everything else on the circuit must also be converted to 240V or disconnected.

Yes, I'm aware of all that. I'n my case the outside outlet that I have is all by itself on its own breaker. That's probably good to point out though in case others come along and read this thread.

Yes, I'm aware of all that. I'n my case the outside outlet that I have is all by itself on its own breaker. That's probably good to point out though in case others come along and read this thread.
And you have the necessary two adjacent slots open in the panel to install a 240V breaker? That would be a pretty good solution, giving you 16 kW of available power = 11 miles per hour of charging.

Reactions: BerTX